Degreasing cookware

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Carnildo

Degreasing cookware

Postby Carnildo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:53 am UTC

I've got a soybean-oil-based nonstick cooking spray that I use while baking. Normally, it washes off just fine, but I've got a cookie sheet and a pie dish that it isn't coming off of, instead forming a sticky water-repellent coating. Ordinary dishsoap and scrubbing aren't removing this stuff. Any suggestions on what I should use to remove it, perhaps an industrial degreaser such as acetone?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: Degreasing cookware

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

Nonstick coating, or no? If the cookie sheet doesn't have a delicate surface, your best bet is some extraordinary scrubbing, using ordinary dish soap which is already formulated to cut through grease. I'm a big fan of Chore Boy's abrasive non-metallic scrubbing pads (the "golden fleece" ones) because they don't fall apart as quickly as steel wool and they can be used just for scrubbing, unlike those sponges with a soft side and a rough side, which get gross and stinky after a while because they are attached to a sponge. Just keep in mind that these pads are still quite abrasive even if they aren't metal, so they will fuck up a nonstick coating. They aren't as abrasive as steel wool so they're better all-purpose scrubbers.

But, you can also use a generic sponge with a scrubby side. It just takes a lot of elbow grease and some time. Also keep an eye on the color of your dishwater; change it out with new soapy water if it gets too dark. Good workout for your upper arm. Hit your forearm with some vigorous whisking, and you're all set...
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

Industrial degreaser like the stuff used at resteraunts isn't going to cheap and would probably need to be bought in bulk. Add to that it's pretty nasty stuff and needs to be heavily diluted, it's probably better just to get a better scrubbing agent (ala Bakemeister).
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Nonstick coating, or no? If the cookie sheet doesn't have a delicate surface, your best bet is some extraordinary scrubbing, using ordinary dish soap which is already formulated to cut through grease. I'm a big fan of Chore Boy's abrasive non-metallic scrubbing pads (the "golden fleece" ones) because they don't fall apart as quickly as steel wool and they can be used just for scrubbing, unlike those sponges with a soft side and a rough side, which get gross and stinky after a while because they are attached to a sponge. Just keep in mind that these pads are still quite abrasive even if they aren't metal, so they will fuck up a nonstick coating. They aren't as abrasive as steel wool so they're better all-purpose scrubbers.

But, you can also use a generic sponge with a scrubby side. It just takes a lot of elbow grease and some time. Also keep an eye on the color of your dishwater; change it out with new soapy water if it gets too dark. Good workout for your upper arm. Hit your forearm with some vigorous whisking, and you're all set...

If it's not non-stick then you can use an abrasive cleaning powder; for stainless steel, I use bar keeper's friend and it almost effortlessly removes burned on grease. Not sure how it works on non-stainless cookware (EDIT: I looked, and you should pretty much only use it for stainless steel, copper, and glass cookware).
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:48 pm UTC

Carnildo, we have similar (if not the same) stuff here and I hear ya. It doesn't seem any amount of scrubbing gets it off and later your cookware just subtly has changed colour. I get off what I can and then think, "meh, anything harmful will have been nuked in the oven by now and it doesn't seem to really affect anything".

Maybe I'm a bad person.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

In general it's not recommended to use pan spry on non-stick surfaces if they aren't going to be covered during cooking-like the top of muffin tins, not just the wells.
You could try putting the sticky pan in a bigger pot and boiling it with some baking soda and soap for about 10-15 minutes. If they're too big, make the boiling water in a pot and use it soak the pans in the sink with the soap and soda.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:09 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Nonstick coating, or no?

Just an ordinary stainless-steel cookie sheet, and a ceramic pie dish.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:32 pm UTC

For stainless steel a good abrasive cleaner will do the trick, with plenty of elbow grease. For the ceramic a hot soak will help. Scrub hard with a stiff plastic scrubber.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

ImagingGeek

Postby ImagingGeek » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

Soak overnight in the sink, with as much dish washer detergent in it that you can get to dissolve. After that, a scrub with something mildly abrasive should strip it off.

I resuscitated some old cookware my grandmother gave me that way.

Bryan
I have a new blog, on making beer.

Not that anyone reads it...

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:For stainless steel a good abrasive cleaner will do the trick, with plenty of elbow grease.

I want to emphasize the elbow grease aspect of this. I've taken old cookie sheets that were pretty solidly black and made them shiny and silver again, at least in the middle (it's REALLY tough to get the proper leverage around the upturned edges), simply by powering through it for however long it takes, not even using steel wool or an abrasive cleanser, just dish soap and one of those yellow chore boy pads.

Which is not to say that it wouldn't have been a whole lot easier with steel wool and/or an abrasive cleanser. I just hate using them.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

ImagingGeek

Postby ImagingGeek » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
PAstrychef wrote:For stainless steel a good abrasive cleaner will do the trick, with plenty of elbow grease.

I want to emphasize the elbow grease aspect of this. I've taken old cookie sheets that were pretty solidly black and made them shiny and silver again, at least in the middle (it's REALLY tough to get the proper leverage around the upturned edges), simply by powering through it for however long it takes, not even using steel wool or an abrasive cleanser, just dish soap and one of those yellow chore boy pads.

Which is not to say that it wouldn't have been a whole lot easier with steel wool and/or an abrasive cleanser. I just hate using them.

Two words: pumice stone. Like steel wool, only more abrasive, better leverage, and great for scrubbing in corners. Its highly abrasive though - don't use on anything that can be damaged that way.

Bryan
I have a new blog, on making beer.

Not that anyone reads it...

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:

This is where it makes sense....

I now image Bakemeister as a rabbit with huge forearms wearing pink elbow length gloves.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Return to “Food”