Multicolored Biscuits, perhaps?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

whatshisfoot

Multicolored Biscuits, perhaps?

Postby whatshisfoot » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:58 am UTC

I have no idea where else to put this, but because i think what this is might be food, here it is:

I see this add at least once a day, and I have no idea what these multicolored things are in the advertisement on the right, and my curiosity is driving crazy

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Multicolored Biscuits, perhaps?

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:19 am UTC

Those are macarons, a French type of cookie. The different colors are a hint as to the flavor-the green are usually pistachio for example. They are made of meringue and sandwiched together with a buttercream filling or a ganache. They out side is crispy and light and the center is a bit chewy and tender. Well made they are delicious.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

The bright colours don't really make them look appetizing. Or is it just me?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:The bright colours don't really make them look appetizing. Or is it just me?

No, not just you.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

whatshisfoot

Postby whatshisfoot » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:The bright colours don't really make them look appetizing. Or is it just me?

It is absolutely just you.
PAstrychef, thanks for the answer, that ad was making me crazy.
They look delicious, but something tells me i wont find many in Boise, Idaho.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:57 pm UTC

They look like play-doh cookies. My 3 year old self is the only one salivating over them.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:03 am UTC

I can't see this thread title without (for whatever reason) hearing in my head, "Wizard People, Dear Reader?"
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

whatshisfoot

Postby whatshisfoot » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:03 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I can't see this thread title without (for whatever reason) hearing in my head, "Wizard People, Dear Reader?"

Yes.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:12 am UTC

They look like they're made of Peeps. DO NOT WANT.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

justaman

Postby justaman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:01 pm UTC

In my experience, the colours of the Macarons are not as bright as in the picture, and they taste amazing. If you haven't had them before, they are definitely worth it.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

I've seen pictures of macarons so intensely colored that they look like you could taste the dye in them. I personally find the colors a little off-putting, but not all of them are nearly as bright as those. As far as I can tell the colors are necessary to tell the flavors apart, because seriously, if there is a taste that is good it will be made into a macaron. The variety of flavors is ridiculous. I've had rose-flavored macarons, which are simultaneously delicious and, in the words of a friend who also tried them, "taste like something you shouldn't be eating."

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:51 pm UTC

Macarons are absolutely delicious--I intend to try making them this winter (they're gluten free and incredibly fussy).

There's a french patisserie in Toronto that makes really good ones. I'm a devotee of the salted caramel variety.
Rice Puddin.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:54 pm UTC

electronic mily wrote:I've seen pictures of macarons so intensely colored that they look like you could taste the dye in them. I personally find the colors a little off-putting, but not all of them are nearly as bright as those. As far as I can tell the colors are necessary to tell the flavors apart, because seriously, if there is a taste that is good it will be made into a macaron. The variety of flavors is ridiculous. I've had rose-flavored macarons, which are simultaneously delicious and, in the words of a friend who also tried them, "taste like something you shouldn't be eating."

That reminds me of violet (the flower AND the color) candies! Which my friend brought back from her exchange trip to Germany. They were great :)
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:18 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:Macarons are absolutely delicious--I intend to try making them this winter (they're gluten free and incredibly fussy).

I had a coconut macaroon this morning. It was AMAZING.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:14 am UTC

A coconut macaroon is not the same thing as a French macaron. However, I have found them (the French ones) to be not so fussy as one might think. The best recipe for them I've used come from The French Cookie Book by Healy and someone. Do try not to let the cats walk on the tray as they are setting up. I've used newsprint and regular parchment paper and both worked out ok. The paper they sell at U-Haul places is a nice heavy newsprint, and probably cheaper by the sheet than what you would buy at the art store.
Last edited by PAstrychef on Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:23 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:A coconut macaroon is not the same thing as a French macaron.

Oh shit. I thought people were just misspelling macaroon. :/

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

Wait, macarons are pronounced macaroon though, right? Anyway, I agree that they are delicious. They are quite light and fluffy, too.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

It's not a misspelling, it's a case of words that are cognates in English and French, sort of. In that, they are the same word, spelled and pronounced differently, and also we make the things differently so they turn out to be similar things but not the same things.

I would recommend parchment over newsprint because the processes used in paper manufacturing and in printing are highly toxic, and you wouldn't want to lift any ink off the paper onto your goodies. I think the stuff they sell at moving places usually has no ink on it, and so is better than newsprint, but I would still try to use food-grade supplies such as parchment paper when possible.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:08 am UTC

I've heard you can also use silpat which I've got, I'm likely to try a batch with each.

Does ageing the egg whites over night actually do anything..or is this hogwash?
Rice Puddin.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:20 am UTC

If you want to make them, I'd recommend having a look at this blog: http://notsohumblepie.blogspot.com She bloody loves macarons. There's loads of recipes around the intertubes, and the blooger has taken a lot of time to work out what's good and what's not, and has lots of tips to fix common problems. Obsessive food geekiness FTW!
itialian mirangue method (part 1) (part 2) (part 3) french mirangue method.

I've wanted to have a go at making macarons for ages, they just look so damn cute!But I've never had the time to try over and over and fiddle with recipes to get it right... one day *sigh*

Return to “Food”