Food Trucks?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

MobileCuisine

Food Trucks?

Postby MobileCuisine » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:28 pm UTC

Hey folks, new to the forum, but thought this would be the best place to ask this question.

How many of you are fans of food trucks? No, not the old roach coaches that you could find on any construction site, but the ones that are like the ones featured on The Great Food Truck Race. Personally, I wish I had more experience eating from them, but here in Chicago, there are too many laws in place that keep them from flourishing. When I travel to NY or LA, I always try to find one or two to check out. The beautiful thing is that most are cleaner than your typical brick and mortar restaurant, and their food is just as good.

Any who, are you a fan? What are your favorites?

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Food Trucks?

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:55 pm UTC

I'm looking forward to the time when Chicago makes these legal, which looks to be next year. I've not had a chance to try the ones in NYC yet.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

Oahu's North Shore Shrimp Trucks. I sampled Macky's twice - fried prawns with garlic butter, and then again with ginger. Both excellent. Served with rice and salad.

I read a news article saying that that business is so lucrative that there was a bit of crime going on between the shrimp truck owners - I can't remember the exact details but arson and jail were involved. Cait might know.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:29 pm UTC

What's the difference between these and roach coaches? I used to get my lunch all the time from roach coaches; what do you mean by them being illegal?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

i've never heard such things, i can just say that they are yummy. but their location is a bit shifty, so it could have happened, iono about it being due to compition though
ImageImageImageImageImage

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:What's the difference between these and roach coaches? I used to get my lunch all the time from roach coaches; what do you mean by them being illegal?

The roach coach carries products that are made at another location. These have the ability to produce freshly cooked food to order. NYC, LA and Seattle all allow these mini-restaurants. Chicago does not, not yet having figured out how to inspect them.
I would run one serving Spanish chocolate al taza and churros in a heartbeat if I had any money.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

They've just recently allowed them here in Georgia, so I can't say I've ever tried food from one.

I think the closest thing I've come to one was a few years ago, a co-worker bought me lunch from a guy who set up a grill in a Kroger parking lot up in Duluth, GA, selling hamburgers, hot dogs, BBQ pork sandwiches, chips, and drinks. He only did it on Tuesdays and Fridays, it was cheap, but it was good.
PRG

An important message for you:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

Ah. Out of curiosity, what makes these any better than a roach coach? For example, Pasta Bowl has a bunch that go around and serves pretty fresh and delicious pasta. Is that shit any better if it's more recently added together?

I would totally dig on some hotdog vendors.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:30 am UTC

There's a pretty awesome kebab van that parks inna disused petrol station near my place. After wrapping your kebab in foil, they put it back on the grill for a bit, which makes the bread nice and crispy.

But seriously, has no-one else raised a skeptical eyebrow at the username/postcount of the OP?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

OP isn't advertising for any particular entity, either explicitly or implicitly. Maybe he or she has some interest in food trucks, financially or otherwise, but eh? I don't see why that matters. People who code for a living start threads about their code or their programs all the time around here. I made a poll in the School forum about college applications. It's not spam just because I've worked in college administration. It's a discussion.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:27 pm UTC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11651132

The first food truck I ate at was called Derald's. It was on a college campus, but it wasn't managed by the university dining people. The guy sold various burger-type things, and great fish sandwiches on Fridays.

Food trucks seem to be catching on where I live now. It's hard to find a good taco in the city, except from a truck. My current university shut down their main food court for renovation, and opened up a bunch of trucks instead (BBQ, Hawaiian, tacos, hot dogs). There was also a pretty awesome Cuban sandwich truck not too far away.

A couple of others I've been meaning to try are a New Orleans truck and a Korean/Mexican fusion thing (bulgogi tacos!).

lewismd

Postby lewismd » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

Oh food trucks, how I love thee!

Thanks to steady deregulation, the Twin Cities, where I live, are getting an explosion of food trucks. My favorites are Chef Shack, which has gotten deserved accolades nationally, and the Fork in the Road truck, but there are a whole bunch these days. Yelp has a good list.

It's pretty sad that Chicago, my hometown, still doesn't have these, and they're stuck with crappy hot dog stands. A big part of the problem with trying to get rid of the red tape is that brick and mortar restaurants don't like to see mobile vendors parked out front, taking their business. If you ask me, that's more like a cartel mentality than a market competition one, but that's an all-too-common view from established businesses.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:02 pm UTC

I'm sure there's a lot of behind the scenes bribery that happens, to say nothing of Chicago politics, but to be fair, in crowded cities, I can understand why having these trucks is a potential traffic hazard. I can also understand why, as a restaurant owner, I wouldn't want someone who doesn't pay any of the same fee's or maintain any of the same standards, to be parked in front of my restaurant. But that's easily solvable; just say they can't park within 100ft of a restaurant, problem solved.

I suddenly really want a falafel.

lewismd

Postby lewismd » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

100ft from any restaurant can be really hard to find in a crowded downtown, particularly if you want to be able to catch the lunch rush, where the money is. Some restaurants have embraced the food trucks, while others are still fighting. St Paul's only rule is that the trucks must obey whatever rules there are for where they're parked and keep feeding the meter. Minneapolis has designated spots. There are many ways to make it work. Washington City Paper had a great article a while back on the "Food Truck Wars" in DC that does a good job of laying out the different interests fighting for a slice of the pie.

Return to “Food”