Do you rinse your dishes?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Do you rinse your dishes after washing by hand?

Yes
65%
Most of the time
8%
Rarely
5%
No
12%
Otter/duck (eg. dishwasher, my butler does my dishes, etc)
10%

Total votes: 121

Lostdreams

Re: Do you rinse your dishes?

Postby Lostdreams » Thu May 26, 2011 12:59 pm UTC

I wasn't aware that some people didn't rinse dishes before viewing this thread. I also have the same views as Felstaff on streaks.

Rinse or not rinse has sparked a bit of debate but something that may or may not have been overlooked here: How often do you clean the dry rack and shelves that you store the dishes on?

This is of particular interest for those that store their cups face down as the last one used has been there the longest with the edge you put in your mouth recieving the most shelf contact. The same would apply to utensil racks in drawers.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu May 26, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

I always rinse, and I never put glasses or cups top-down on the shelf or in the cupboard, because in addition to potentially dirtying the rim that way, they tend to smell of shelf after awhile.

We have a dishwasher now, though, so the only stuff we wash by hand tends to be big pots and such, which usually just get towel-dried right afterwards.

Also, while I'm personally guilty of wasting water a lot of the time, especially now that the bulk of my dishes go into the machine, there are ways to rinse that don't waste a great deal of water. Like, have a tub of unsoapy water in/next to the sink for dipping washed dishes into. That's typically what I did when I lived in an apartment without a dishwasher.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Thu May 26, 2011 2:11 pm UTC

I'm British, I don't rinse.
Except for fancy glassware, that gets rinsed so it doesn't go streaky, but everything else just gets left to drain or dried with a tea towel.
I've never noticed a soapy taste on any of my things though, so I guess the suds drain off before the soap has a chance to dry on the the clean things? I dunno.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu May 26, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

My guess is that the people that don't rinse their dishes use a lot less soap or soap that doesn't lather as much (which, as far as I know, is not an actual indication of cleaning power). At least initially, I wouldn't be able to swish the dishes in the water (also, if I'm using a tub, I usually don't have quite enough water to swish - I only wash in a couple inches of water or I make a huge mess of the place) without getting a LOT of soap bubbles on the dishes.

However, lately I've been forced to do dishes with one of those scrubbies that have soap inside of them because I'm living with very unclean roommates and I have not seen the bottom of the sink for two weeks. :evil: This necessitates running water the whole time. However, these deposit a lot more soap, which is probably why I occasionally have the issue with the burning soap smell with my pots and pans.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu May 26, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

I just connected this idea of doing the dishes with washing up in the lab... things are way worse in science. Rinse with lots of water, then rinse with de-ionised water, then maybe spray a solvent like acetone all over it, then put it in a drying oven that's always on.

Anyway... carry on.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu May 26, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

Moo wrote:c) You can rinse bits of scrubbed off food off the dish perfectly fine by dipping it back in the soapy water after scrubbing. If the water is too dirty to do this you need to replace the water anyway.

What a terrible waste of water, for shame.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
Moo wrote:c) You can rinse bits of scrubbed off food off the dish perfectly fine by dipping it back in the soapy water after scrubbing. If the water is too dirty to do this you need to replace the water anyway.

What a terrible waste of water, for shame.

Personally, I've noticed that I use a lot less water if "shower" my dishes rather than "bathe" them, as in, doing dishes with the water running uses less water than soaking the dishes in the sink. While cleaning one implement I let the water run into a pan or something that requires soaking, which helps save water. But maybe this only works with the way I do the dishes (and may be biased by the fact that I loathe putting my hands into dirty soapy food-chunk-filled water).

And rinsing is a necessity.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Kromix

Postby Kromix » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

I wash Dishwasher and by hand when needed, and when i do, i drink dos equis, and RINSE! then towel dry, with kitchen towel. else everything is streaky and tastes like soap.

i think the brittish are used to soapy taste that they can't tell soapy from a steak. :lol:
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:
broken_escalator wrote:
bentheimmigrant wrote:I've always figured it was a British thing. When we moved back from the States I couldn't believe how people left their drying dishes covered in suds. Covered. Why would you want a hint of fake industrial scent on your dishes?

So wait, is it a British thing to rinse or to leave it with suds?

See, I'm British and I rinse, but my girlfriend (who is French) claims that I'm the exception, as all the British people she's house-shared with over the years haven't rinsed, whereas she does, and claims rinsing is a French thing while not rinsing is a British thing. I think both are just people things.

i'm British and i always rinse too.
My dad i think just leaves the soap to run off, (but he does towel dry which is something i don't do) but i've had bad experiences of tasting soap in drinks in "not rinsed well enough" mugs, which probably got me rinsing in the first place. although i don't wash up particularly often on the whole, only when the dishwasher is already full, or i'm impatient for a specific item.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

I'm a rinser (US-located, if that's of interest). I bathe the dishes, then rinse (both in scalding hot water), then rack dry. Generally I do the plates first, stacked largest-to-smallest in the sink; as space is vacated, I fill in other things - glasses, cooking utensils, etc. Silverware starts off in the bottom of the sink at the very beginning, but isn't washed until the very end.

As for the temperature, when I was young my dishwater used to get cold (I took hours to do dishes, I was a kid). I noticed that stuff would be greasy after having been in cold water, and assumed correlation implied causation, and have washed in the hottest water I could find since then.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

I'm also pretty obsesive about rinsing the soap off dishes before leaving them to dry. I've even gotten into semi-serious fights with my ex-flatmates about it (a three-way fight, one claiming the dishes hadn't been washed properly, one that they hadn't been rinsed, and one saying they're fine). When I was in Switzerland it seemed to me that no one rinsed their dishes, and every flat I saw only had one basin. So I'd soak and scrub the dishes and put them on the counter next to the sink, drain the water, then rinse them. This of course meant the counter was afloat in soapy water. Here I have two large basins and a small one in between, and I dump the stuff "waiting to be washed" in one large basin, soak and scrub in the small one, and then rinse everything at once in the second large basin.
I've also found that rinsing the soap off means I have to clean my drying rack less often, which is great because it's really unwieldly.

In the lab, yeah, that's crazy: rinse with tap water, wash in the dishwasher, rinse with deionated water, dry in the drying cupboard at 140°C. Thankfully my department uses tap water as the basis of our analyses, so I'm spared the deionated part.
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

Dishwashers in the lab seem to be a European thing. I did an internship in a lab in Germany and they had dishwashers, but I've never seen a lab in the States with one. I think it's something the States should borrow, among other things.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Kevin88

Postby Kevin88 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

I only rinse them off first if there's loose food pieces or bits, only because they can clog the filter in the dishwater. Otherwise, I find my dishwasher cleans most everything even if caked on, but occassionally I find an exception.

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Wed May 29, 2013 9:32 am UTC

I try to use up my food and mostly avoid the need for detergents in the first place. "Normal" washing up seems wasteful and yucky.
A pan is rarely ever dirty... it may just contain the base for a yummy sauce.
Most common "cleaning" agents: bread, cheap wine, sometimes assisted by ice cubes.

Working quite well unless entertaining guests with sloppy eating habits (i.e.: almost everyone).
LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single unified theme, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

mr_six

Postby mr_six » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:I do not rinse my dishes, but then, I do leave them to air-dry usually. I might, however, sometimes rinse them before washing them in soapy water.

This is why I rinse some dishes. salsa... milk... RANCH(yee tastey caked on devil)...

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

my mother used to not rinse after washing, saying that this prevents waterstains on glasses.
i always found this yucky. and our water isn't hard anyway.

tms

Postby tms » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:11 am UTC

Wash in hot water with a benign agent, rinse under cold running water.

Iranon wrote:Working quite well unless entertaining guests with sloppy eating habits (i.e.: almost everyone).

I could say the same about my method, were I to speak.
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

cphite

Postby cphite » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:I've always figured it was a British thing. When we moved back from the States I couldn't believe how people left their drying dishes covered in suds. Covered. Why would you want a hint of fake industrial scent on your dishes?

How else is British food supposed to have any flavor? :wink:

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:54 am UTC

Moar bacon: Simply have breakfast three times a day.
LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single unified theme, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

Return to “Food”