Steamed Salmon is Good to Eat

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Steamed Salmon is Good to Eat

Postby brume » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

So...the doctor says I need to eat more fish with the right kind of fatty acids, like Salmon. I usually just microwave Tilapia fillets, but when I pay $6+ for a piece of Salmon, the microwave seems like an insult to the fish. And, the Salmon cut has a form factor that doesn't work well in an electric grill, because it's fat in the middle and thin on both ends. Sorta like Miss Anne Elk's Brontosaurus...

Anyway... I have a small rice steamer and thought ... I wonder...

Cooks really nice with a good dusting of lemon pepper. The skin is a bit slimey though, is there any fix for that?

Fish, it's what's for dinner!
brume

Re: Steamed Salmon is Good to Eat

Postby PAstrychef » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

Two possible answers to the slimy fish skin problem.
1: Remove the skin before cooking, and steam the fish on a plate/leaf of lettuce/piece of parchment paper.
2: After the fish is mostly cooked, put it either under the broiler skin up or in a hot sauté pan skin down, with a little oil, and let it get crispy. Crispy salmon skin is great!
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.
PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby Ulc » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

I often prepare salmon by placing it in a marinade of greek yoghurt, freshly pressed orange juice, a bit of the skin of the orange, garlic and salt/pepper for a few hours. Then I put various vegetables in the oven (onions, mushrooms and leeks yesterday) for about 10-15 min., at which point the salmon gets placed on the veggies and the marinade gets poured over the vegetables. Then it's back in the oven for 20 min.

Serve with pretty much anything, and it's wonderfully tender and well tasting :D
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?
Ulc

Postby brume » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

Thanks, this cut of fish is worth the extra effort. I'm still a Texas BBQ guy, but I'm willing to extend my repertoire of cookery.

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Oh man, this brought back memories of a lost weekend after the Russians shot down that Korean airliner. We had a 'kill the Russians' day that involved a large quantity of White Russians to be 'killed'. There was broken glass, doors ripped off hinges, police cars, and much screaming in the front yard. Followed by at least TWO divorces! So, a really successful party.
brume

Postby Nath » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

brume wrote:So...the doctor says I need to eat more fish with the right kind of fatty acids, like Salmon. I usually just microwave Tilapia fillets, but when I pay $6+ for a piece of Salmon, the microwave seems like an insult to the fish. And, the Salmon cut has a form factor that doesn't work well in an electric grill, because it's fat in the middle and thin on both ends. Sorta like Miss Anne Elk's Brontosaurus...

Anyway... I have a small rice steamer and thought ... I wonder...

Cooks really nice with a good dusting of lemon pepper. The skin is a bit slimey though, is there any fix for that?

Fish, it's what's for dinner!

By the way, while $6/piece salmon is great and all, the canned stuff is not a bad product either. It's usually wild, unlike a lot of the fresh salmon at your average supermarket. I usually use it for fish cakes.
Nath

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:24 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:Crispy salmon skin is great!

Oh god, yes it is. So great. Sarah does not like it; I eat hers.

When I started cooking fish, the way I would make a salmon fillet was to rinse and pat dry, then coat it in Prudhomme's Meat Magic seasoning and pan-fry in olive oil. Now I prefer to taste more of the salmon and so I don't season it so heavily, but holy cow that crispy seasoned skin was delicious.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby charolastra » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:42 am UTC

I just grill my salmon with no seasoning but a wee bit of salt and pepper. And by grill, I mean ideally on a griddle over flame but now I do it in a pan.

Then a dab of mango chutney and some veggies or a salad and we're off.
charolastra

Postby Nocta » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:34 am UTC

i score my salmon about 2 hours beforehand, then rub with basil, salt and pepper. Then I fry it in corn oil- i like my skin really crispy, and I feel that olive oil doesn't have a high enough smoke point for that.
Nocta

Return to Food