Getting your grains

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nocta

Getting your grains

Postby Nocta » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:51 am UTC

How and what do you eat for your grains? Do you buy it precooked, or do you make it yourself?
I eat a bowl of rice almost every day. It's really cheap (40-50 cents per pound where I live), and goes well practically anything.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Getting your grains

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:33 am UTC

I eat bulgur wheat, and oats and mixes of rides and barley and rye berries, and quinoa sometimes too. I cook them all myself, sometimes in stock and sometimes in water. If you love rice, try brown rice or rice blends, they are much healthier than white rice of any variety.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

AntonGarou

Postby AntonGarou » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:49 am UTC

I eat rice, as well as some pearl barley and making my own granola: it's cheaper, and most commercial ones have coconut in them, which I can't stand.
I'm not nitpicking, I'm quarkpicking!

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:37 pm UTC

Grains I use, most common to least:
Rice (brown)
Rice (white)
quinoa
durum wheat (in the form of cous cous)
pearled barley

Directly between rice and quinoa is a non-(whole)grain starch: pasta, potato.

All of these are never pre-cooked. Rice is mainly for stir frys, mexican food (cooked with broth), and curries. quinoa for cold salads. cous cous for some stir frys, usually with more moroccan spicing. Barley for stews.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:48 am UTC

Precooked is gross.

We eat a fair amount of rice, more white than brown mostly because I often don't have time to wait 45 minutes for brown to cook.

We also have quinoa fairly frequently. I like polenta and cornbread; of course, wheat bread is always around. I've tried millet and had no strong feelings about it. Corn on the cob in season. I think we have some amaranth in the cupboard; this (and quinoa) may not technically be a grain? Not sure and haven't cooked it yet.

Pasta with some frequency, always whole-wheat nowadays when cooking it for ourselves.

Oats for breakfast, not as often as I used to. Barley not that often at all, which is a shame because I love it.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:27 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote: We also have quinoa fairly frequently. I like polenta and cornbread; of course, wheat bread is always around. I've tried millet and had no strong feelings about it. Corn on the cob in season. I think we have some amaranth in the cupboard; this (and quinoa) may not technically be a grain? Not sure and haven't cooked it yet.

I'm not sure if there's a technical definition of "grain", but all the other things you mention are grasses, while amaranth and quinoa are in a different family. (Putting my Bsc. in botany to work there.)

We eat rice and quinoa most often around here. Wheat beads and pasta are staples. Also beer. I make other grains occasionally. I'll usually make more than I need for a meal and make the leftovers into griddle cakes.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:06 am UTC

Beer! How could I forget beer?

"Corn is a grass" will never not blow my mind. Pew pew.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Return to “Food”