Cheese- Yes, No, Maybe so?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Cheese???

So Disgusting (No, I hate cheese.)
3%
KILL THE BLASPHEMER (Yes, I love cheese.)
74%
Otter (Remember: cheese killed the duck.)
4%
Iffy (I can't decide because I'm an indecisive person.)
1%
Sometimes (self-explanatory)
18%

Total votes: 136

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:06 pm UTC

Jauss wrote:stuff about dumpster diving
ok, you win. See you in Davis at 6?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:31 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:
Jauss wrote:stuff about dumpster diving
ok, you win. See you in Davis at 6?

:)
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

I'll take that as a no...mostly because I have no idea what you look like. I went anyway just in case. I got a pint of cucumber, lumpy primate and kaluha. Another time?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:50 pm UTC

....and what would be in lumpy primate? (I'm thinking a crunchy peanut butter banana, but who knows...)
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:16 am UTC

Which Davis are you referring? The only one I'm familiar with is in California.

I would totally hang with you if we were like, in the same city. Or on the same coast. :)
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:16 am UTC

une see wrote:Yeah, I don't really, either. But I had this sudden vision of rotting banana peels and Ebola-infested vomit, along with expired milk and mushy plums. Bleh.

You don't go looking for that kind of stuff, and I don't know anyone who literally dives into a dumpster; the stuff on the bottom is rancid and smashed. If you know what you're doing, you grab the food the same night it's thrown out, after the place it came from closes up. You haven't lived until you've walked in the front door of your apartment with a big black trash bag full of donuts over your shoulder. Better than santa claus.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:48 am UTC

lots of folks wrote:dumpster diving stories

I remember back in the late 80s/early 90s dumpster diving became a hobby for a lot of people. Some guy actually wrote a book or few about dumpster diving, and talk shows even featured him on there, and guests who went dumpster diving, and found great finds, like furniture, jewelry, clothes, etc.

I remember my dad used to dumpster dive when he worked for a landscaping company in DT Atlanta. He'd bring home furniture mostly. One time he brought home a really nice cushy office chair, that squeaked like hell when you sat and moved around in it. I had it in my room for a while, and they finally got rid of it after I moved out of their house to move in w/ grandma.

One thing I miss about living in an apartment complex is if you're lucky, you can furnish your apartment for virtually nothing. People are always throwing out furniture because it's broken, and more often than not, the damage is repairable. One time someone had thrown out a perfectly good cedar chest. All that was wrong with it was it was dirty, and a leg was missing. I looked inside and noticed the bottom was sagging as well. I removed the other three legs, nailed a piece of plywood over the bottom on the outside, used Murphy's Oil Soap to clean it up, and caulked along the inside to make sure everything was airtight. Total cost to repair: $50. Probably not even that much. Roommate and I used it for blankets. After she moved out, I still did. And still do.
PRG

An important message for you:

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:17 am UTC

If you're driving to Boston for the September meetup and you have extra room in your car I suggest cruising around the residental neighborhoods of the city because there is a veritable tidal wave of students moving in and out. Sometimes there are very good things hidden under the amber waves of futons. I got the desk I am using right now from a sidewalk in Allston last August, and crappy keyboard tray aside, it's a great desk.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Midnight

Re: Cheese- Yes, No, Maybe so?

Postby Midnight » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:12 pm UTC

So, besides this being the greatest act of necromancy I've ever done*, I am angry that there's no general cheese thread. There's blue cheese threads. Farmer cheese threads.
I found this poll to be the most general, so I'm just gonna say CHEESE IS DELICIOUS.

*That's a 38-month necromancy. Bitches
uhhhh fuck.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

Yes. It is.

I had never seen this topic, which is a shame, cause cheese are the food of gods.

Best dessert in the world is the classic cheese table, with lots of really great cheeses - at least one of which must be a moldy cheese with a little lasso on to stop it from devouring the rest of the cheeses.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:48 am UTC

Cheese is good stuff.
My new favorite cheese store is in Stratford, Ont. and is called The Milky Whey. I'm a sucker for puns.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

There is a cheese thread, somewhere. I've posted in it. I could try and find it, but meh. That's a job for some other shlub.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

Cheese threads-is that what string cheese is made out of?
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:14 pm UTC

There's a dish that I make quite often, it's basically a cheddar cheese sauce (made with medium cheddar, or 2 parts sharp cheddar and 1 part jack, evaporated milk, seasoned with powdered mustard, and thickened with a little roux) that I mix with macaroni on the stovetop. Very delicious. Who would have thought the two would go so well together?

Also, baguettes and brie is a great combination.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

Stilton. Real Stilton. Unpasteurized Stilton. Best cheese in the universe.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

I had some of that in London. I'm pretty sure it bit me in the mouth. I'm not much of a blue cheese fan, though.
uhhhh fuck.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

So, I have to ask. What is the problem so many people have with american cheese? I have heard people say it's disgusting, revolting, horrible... But I really don't see that. To me, it tastes like a really mild, unoffensive cheddar with a creamy texture. Generally, I will take jack or cheddar in most situations that you can use american cheese, but I would have no problem using american if it was the only choice. It goes great on sandwiches and burgers.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:42 am UTC

I think you've hit on the reasons people don't like it-it's mild to to point of being flavorless, it's soft and creamy to the point of having no texture or else it's kind of rubbery and flexible. It has so little presence that all you get is a kind of generic "cheeze" flavor.
If you like a sharp cheddar or a cheese that has aged a bit, american just won't do.
It's also the fact that it's labeled as a cheese type food, not as cheese.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:51 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:I think you've hit on the reasons people don't like it-it's mild to to point of being flavorless, it's soft and creamy to the point of having no texture or else it's kind of rubbery and flexible. It has so little presence that all you get is a kind of generic "cheeze" flavor.
If you like a sharp cheddar or a cheese that has aged a bit, american just won't do.

See, if people said that, I would understand. It's just when people use words like "disgusting" that I don't get.

PAstrychef wrote:It's also the fact that it's labeled as a cheese type food, not as cheese.

If that's then problem then they should just throw the words "Molecular Gastronomy" on the label, as that seems to be what many people think is the future of high end cuisine.

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:15 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:I think you've hit on the reasons people don't like it-it's mild to to point of being flavorless, it's soft and creamy to the point of having no texture or else it's kind of rubbery and flexible. It has so little presence that all you get is a kind of generic "cheeze" flavor.
It's also the fact that it's labeled as a cheese type food, not as cheese.

I often get sliced cheese to snack on, rather than getting a block of good cheese and cutting it with a knife. Today I picked up some slices labeled 'sharp cheddar'. I opened it up and found the slices individually wrapped. I unwrapped a slice and found a floppy squishy thing rather than the robust piece of cheddar I was expecting. I took a bit and tasted, well, very little. Turns out the first ingredient was 'American cheese'. Labeling it as sharp cheddar was a bald-faced lie.

Experiences like this are precisely why I don't like American cheese. OK, that's not true. The insipid taste and texture are why I don't like American cheese. Experiences like this are why I despise the stuff.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:50 pm UTC

Nath wrote:The insipid taste and texture are why I don't like American cheese.

This. Especially the texture.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

And it often has an odd sweet flavor that has become the hallmark of mass-produced American foods. Welcome to the world of corn sweeteners.

Return to “Food”