Fatty Liver and Carbohydrates

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Fatty Liver and Carbohydrates

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:22 am UTC

This may be the wrong forum. If so, feel free to move this, mods.

I recently got back the results of some blood tests and it turns out I'm developing somewhat of a fatty liver apparently due to a high carb diet. So I need to cut back on carbohydrates. The doctor gave me a recommended maximum, but I'm also curious: how much carbohydrates per day can the liver process without developing problems? If it's a function of weight, I'm about 250 lbs.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Ulc

Re: Fatty Liver and Carbohydrates

Postby Ulc » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:35 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:This may be the wrong forum. If so, feel free to move this, mods.

I recently got back the results of some blood tests and it turns out I'm developing somewhat of a fatty liver apparently due to a high carb diet. So I need to cut back on carbohydrates. The doctor gave me a recommended maximum, but I'm also curious: how much carbohydrates per day can the liver process without developing problems? If it's a function of weight, I'm about 250 lbs.

Ask your doctor for medical issues, not the internet.

That said a short bout of research on google tells me that it's not so much the carbohydrates directly influencing the liver, but overweight seems to be a very important factor and the same for malnutrition - and if your diet is very high in carbs, malnutrition is very possible. In that case cutting back on carbs seems likely to be for the purpose of getting you to lose some weight and restore your diet to a more balanced point.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:36 am UTC

I would imagine it is more a function of fat being deposited everywhere, rather than your liver not being able to handle carbs. It is obviously handling them quite well, otherwise it wouldn't be able to convert them into fat. So, the number of carbs you should eat without worrying about a fatty liver is whatever keeps you at a health weight with your exercise and metabolic requirements.

Pro-tip: Start eating desserts with a smaller spoon. (Inside joke for those of you not following the Higgs thread in N&A)

I can try and look up actual studies for you if you want me too, but I'm very busy today. Remind me tomorrow if you want.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:41 am UTC

Okay, so it's not so much a direct matter of what the liver can do with the carbs as it is what it can do with a body that eats a lot. Thanks.

I can't really eat desserts any more :(
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:20 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Okay, so it's not so much a direct matter of what the liver can do with the carbs as it is what it can do with a body that eats a lot. Thanks.

I can't really eat desserts any more :(

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to eat desserts, check out sugar free jelly

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:54 pm UTC

This topic probably belongs in the food forum's evil twin. I found the spoon joke hilarious, I agree that random people on a forum is not the best place for medical advice, and I wish best of luck to sourmilk and his health.

Hopefully some yummy junk and/or desert foods will be in your somewhat near future, but it sounds like now you really need to focus on healthier foods with the right portion sizes. You know, limiting your calorie intake while still getting sufficient protein. (Or whatever it is the doctor is trying to get you to do.)
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:37 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:If it's a function of weight, I'm about 250 lbs.

I don't know the answer to the question you're asking, but now I'm curious about the above. I can imagine plenty of reasons the size or processing capacity of your liver wouldn't be directly related to your weight, but that's just conjecture. This is going to be in the back of my head for a while I'm sure. I could try researching it on my own, but winter is coming...
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:30 pm UTC

What, no iphone links?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

speising

Postby speising » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:24 pm UTC

is it just me or is http://xkcd.com/810/ not far away?

Return to “Food”