truffles

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Servant-of_Christ

truffles

Postby Servant-of_Christ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:48 am UTC

are they really all that special? and if I were to buy ONE, just to try it, where should I look, and how should I prepare it?

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: truffles

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:40 pm UTC

If you mean the fungus that grows on oak roots, you couldn't afford a whole one. They can cost thousands of dollars each. As for how special they are, it's a matter of taste. I think they're ok, but not world-shattering. Some culinary friends loove them. Find a good restaurant that serves a dish with truffles and have it. You can also get good quality truffle oil, which will flavor foods quite nicely.
If you mean the chocolate treat, buying just one is foolish.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:34 pm UTC

I sampled a truffle-involved vegetable spread a while back. The truffle seemed to add a fungus-y, mouldy taste that I didn't care for. I think of it like caviar ("fish-flavoured sea water bubbles") -- delicious if you're into that sort of thing, which I'm not.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:31 am UTC

Many pubs that fancy themselves upscale serve french-fries with truffle oil. Never had any myself, but I suppose that would be a good way to figure out what it tastes like.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Postby AvatarIII » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:If you mean the fungus that grows on oak roots, you couldn't afford a whole one. They can cost thousands of dollars each. As for how special they are, it's a matter of taste. I think they're ok, but not world-shattering. Some culinary friends loove them. Find a good restaurant that serves a dish with truffles and have it. You can also get good quality truffle oil, which will flavor foods quite nicely.
If you mean the chocolate treat, buying just one is foolish.

not all truffles are that expensive, a quick search found me jars that contain 2 truffles in olive oil for less than $30 USD

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:22 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:not all truffles are that expensive, a quick search found me jars that contain 2 truffles in olive oil for less than $30 USD

A fair point, but there are truffles and then there are truffles.

There are black truffles from France which are expensive, regulated, counterfeited, and sold on the black market.

Servant-of_Christ

Postby Servant-of_Christ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:17 am UTC

So if I were to obtain a black truffle, should I eat it raw, or cook it, and how should I prepare it

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

I guess you would want to make it in a dish that's otherwise fairly bland, perhaps over some pasta, so you're tasting mostly truffles and not whatever else is in the dish. I don't think truffles are usually cooked. More often they're sliced very thin and added to the dish.

Oh, and wikipedia tells me that truffle oil doesn't actually contain truffles, so never mind.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:18 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:Oh, and wikipedia tells me that truffle oil doesn't actually contain truffles, so never mind.

But the article does say it contains a lot of the same flavors and aromas, so it wouldn't necessarily hurt to use it as a starting point. Then, if you like it and can afford to do so, move on to the real stuff.

I had truffle oil tater tots a couple weeks back and they were very nice. Rich aroma and flavor.

Return to “Food”