How do YOU eat Ramen?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

How do YOU eat Ramen?

Postby sarahnade » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:10 pm UTC

I'm in college. I'm quite poor. I'm not picky. This sometimes makes me a little creative when it comes to cheap food.

When I make ramen noodles, I like to use half the season package, add some carrots and peas and whatever vegetables I happen to have, and add Asian sauces (hoisin, soy, sesame oil, chilli sauce). It's wonderful.

Anyone have awesome ramen recipes? I'm always looking for fun (preferably cheap) new ways to make it.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

Girl does something to it where she doesn't even use the seasoning packet, just a bunch of random spices. She'll be in later tonight, I'll point her over here
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:15 pm UTC

Egg + Noodles.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

jgcrawfo

Postby jgcrawfo » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:21 pm UTC

My aunt from Singapore showed me a cool trick, where you cook the noodles in a pot (as opposed to just being lazy with the electric kettle), and when they're almost done, you just crack an egg into there and let it poach. Poaching can be intimidating, but all you do is drop the egg (minus shell, of course) into the water and try to keep it at a simmer, just on the edge of boiling.
Makes your empty carb meal into almost something nutritious.

justbecause

Postby justbecause » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

wing wrote:Egg + Noodles.

That sounds pretty yummy.
I don't really ever buy raman, but I would be hungry without my ricecooker & 35 pounds of rice! (But I think the next bag will be brown rice instead of Jasmine rice.)

notallama

Postby notallama » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

the seasoning packet is pretty awful.

i like it with onions, celery, and carrots.
it's also one of the few ways i enjoy eating meat. just toss a few small bits of some uncooked creature into it while it's still hot.

dagron

Postby dagron » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:35 pm UTC

Putting egg in ramen just seems absolutely disgusting. My roomate used to do that. Ugh.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

I strain the water till there's a teaspoon left then i poor the packet in so it's extra thick goodness.

I hate cup of ramen versus stove top.

I douse the ramen with salt and pepper, and often use chopsticks when available.

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

erm...dry and crunchy?

I eat spaghetti that way too, but ramen's easier.

sorry, not a recipe, more of a confession.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:15 pm UTC

Egg (beaten & poured), scallions, red bell peppers. Or whatever I have available.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:20 pm UTC

I don't eat ramen.

I'm alone now, aren't I?

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:21 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:I don't eat ramen.

I'm alone now, aren't I?

Shunnnn the non believer... Shun!

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:22 pm UTC

Grab as many random spices as I can. Cumin+Cinnamon+Oregano+Teriyaki+Ramen=Win. Actually, anything+ramen=win.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:22 pm UTC

depends on what i want. sometimes i'll use left over spaghetti sauce on it, sometimes i'll add cumin and red pepper, sometimes i toss in veggies and let em cook together, sometimes i'll drain it completely and shred cheese on it (usually add a bit of garlic and onion to that too) and sometimes i just use the packet and toss some grilled chicken in it.

i have tried the twice cooked thing yet... boiling the ramen then stir-frying it with other, healthier food items. I will try this soon.

p.s. what is an electric kettle?

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:28 pm UTC

You know, I have heard a lot about ramen + eggs. I've never tried it though. Looks like my next noodle concoction will have to include some unborn chickens.

I Zimbra

Postby I Zimbra » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:56 pm UTC

Ramen 'n Eggs with Sriracha is quite tasty and cheap. Although since I discovered that you can cook beans & rice once and then eat for a week, I quit eating ramen.
Take your play seriously

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

I heat it up normal water, noodles, seasoning, and then I add one scrambled egg (that is, raw, you let the water cook it). often I used to add chopped up celery and/or mushrooms. I keep the water in when I eat it.
apocralypse wrote:p.s. what is an electric kettle?
it's a kettle that is plastic and you fill it with water, plug it in to a wall, and it boils the water.
Last edited by Sprocket on Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

I mean ramen's tasty an' all but I don't eat it...

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:08 am UTC

We eat these in New Zealand ( I eat a cheaper brand though) basically I carefully tear the top rip open the seasoning empty into packet, shake for a couple of minutes and eat them dry. I take the to school most days.
=]

Verator

Postby Verator » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:10 am UTC

I'm alone now, aren't I?

Don't worry, I'm here for you too.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:13 am UTC

i try not to eat ramen, but if i have to i might as well jazz it up.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby tessuraea » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:14 am UTC

Verator wrote:

I'm alone now, aren't I?

Don't worry, I'm here for you too.

Me too. I don't think I've eaten it since I was 14 or so and babysitting. Went veggie at 15, started reading labels, and didn't like what I saw.

I eat noodles of various kinds, just not ramen.
This is not a reference to anyone's junk.

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:21 am UTC

I try to avoid instant ramen as much as I can.

But I do like to eat ramen in a restaurant (ramenya) every now and then. A "normal" ramen dish doesn't need to cost much either, maybe ¥500 to ¥600. And it's always a lot and pretty much always very tasty (although there is the occasionally really bad restaurant where they taste like crap).

And to literally answer the question of the thread: the only proper way to eat ramen is as noisy as possible. Always slurp when you eat ramen!
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

xooll

Postby xooll » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:34 am UTC

Usually I'm lazy and just add the flavor packet. But when I'm not lazy (a.k.a. when I actually have other things to add) I'll put in egg, maybe green onions, peas, what have you. It's really good with little tiny shrimp added.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

carr

Postby carr » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:35 am UTC

While climbing:

1. Dump seasonings on brick.
2. Swish water in mouth.
3. Take a bite.
4. Rinse (literally), repeat.

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:41 am UTC

Yo in those cups...I like drinking the juice at the bottom of the spicy ones. It makes you feel like you got shot in the tounge...I love it. Though I get killer MSG headaches so I only do it with a complement of THC.
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

zagga20

Postby zagga20 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:30 am UTC

__Kit wrote:Image

We eat these in New Zealand ( I eat a cheaper brand though) basically I carefully tear the top rip open the seasoning empty into packet, shake for a couple of minutes and eat them dry. I take the to school most days.

2 minute noodles are just pure awesome!

As for other types of Ramen, i just buy from the asian part of the local supermarket, and use their spices and stuff. I add an egg and soy sauce also.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:00 am UTC

zagga20 wrote:
__Kit wrote:Image

2 minute noodles are just pure awesome!

As for other types of Ramen, i just buy from the asian part of the local supermarket, and use their spices and stuff. I add an egg and soy sauce also.

Bleh. That Maggi stuff is crap. If you like it dry Indo Mee FTW. Actually, I have never been a fan of soup based ramen. So, Indo Mee FTW!

It's easy to get the good stuff in AU. I assume NZ too.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:11 am UTC

I usually get really good ramen from asian markets, btu when I must eat maruchan or nissin, I either add taco bell sauce or chipotle sauce.

I had a friend in high school who did some wrid thing with peanut butter and cream cheese that looked and smelled foul, but that he insisted was good. I never tried it.

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:18 am UTC

I eat the regular ramen you get at the grocery stores - Maruchen or something (not at home so cannot look it up). I always just follow the directions - bring water to boil on stove, noodles in boiling water for 3 minutes, add flavor packet. I have an electric kettle, but that is for my tea habit. I never microwave the ramen or anything, mostly due to me being weirdly OCD about how I cook stuff.
Lurker Extraordinaire

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:24 am UTC

Only when desperate and/or drunk. And I only use half of the little seasoning packet. Otherwise it's just too salty to even think about eating.

priapus

Postby priapus » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:26 am UTC

Last edited by priapus on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:36 am UTC

priapus wrote:nagasaki champon ringerhut ramen rocks

SPAMroBOT
=]

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:13 pm UTC

Unforgiven wrote:I try to avoid instant ramen as much as I can.

But I do like to eat ramen in a restaurant (ramenya) every now and then. A "normal" ramen dish doesn't need to cost much either, maybe ¥500 to ¥600. And it's always a lot and pretty much always very tasty (although there is the occasionally really bad restaurant where they taste like crap).

And to literally answer the question of the thread: the only proper way to eat ramen is as noisy as possible. Always slurp when you eat ramen!

See, now that's just not fair at all. I'm on the other side of the world from real ramen. ;_; The closest place to get it is in New York.

I usually take a bit of oil and sauté a clove of garlic, minced ginger, and a bit of chopped celery. Then I add a can of chicken broth, bring it to a boil, and cook the noodles in that. Top off with a bit of soy sauce, Srircha or Shichimi Togarishi, and whatever else you want. Bamboo shoots, cooked chicken, and green onions are good.

Or, if you don't have fresh ingredients, boil the noodles in chicken broth with garlic powder, onion powder, and ginger powder, then add soy sauce.
You don't make them touch!

jgcrawfo

Postby jgcrawfo » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

If a someone does not have onion and garlic powder in the kitchen, I can not really respect them as a person. Chili powder and oregano are also part or the bare necessities, but the world isn't perfect.

A bit of sesame oil can help it taste more "asian", though be careful not to overdo it as it's very pungent. I've yet to find a good way to incorporate any form of cheese, it's probably not meant to be. Mixed frozen vegetables will work at filling out the dish, but they're a little bland.
I did like the time when I fried a diced tomato in the pot and then added some broth to that to cook the noodles in. If I had some instant noodles, I'd go grab a tomato from the garden and eat that right now.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:38 pm UTC

I sometimes partially cook the noodles in the boiling water and then make a random non-soup noodle dish with them, because it's easy. That usually involves chicken pieces, whatever veggies I have around, and some combination of curry-related spices.
__Kit wrote:
priapus wrote:nagasaki champon ringerhut ramen rocks

SPAMroBOT

c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:43 pm UTC

jgcrawfo wrote:If a someone does not have onion and garlic powder in the kitchen, I can not really respect them as a person. Chili powder and oregano are also part or the bare necessities, but the world isn't perfect.

A bit of sesame oil can help it taste more "asian", though be careful not to overdo it as it's very pungent. I've yet to find a good way to incorporate any form of cheese, it's probably not meant to be.

I'm with you, dude. Belial lived for years in a dorm with nothing in it but peanut butter, mac and cheese, Capri Sun, assorted snacks, Pam, and ketchup and mustard packets. It hurt my soul. And yes, sesame oil or toasted sesame seeds are fab. I haven't made this in years, so I forgot about that.

Bakemaster wrote:Holy crap me

I'm a meme now? o_o
You don't make them touch!

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

Girlâ„¢ wrote:I'm with you, dude. Belial lived for years in a dorm with nothing in it but peanut butter, mac and cheese, Capri Sun, assorted snacks, Pam, and ketchup and mustard packets. It hurt my soul.

To be fair, we all had meal plans. The only reason I ever had to eat outside the cafeteria was because you couldn't get in.

They/them

haveblue

Postby haveblue » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:19 pm UTC

Do you guys leave the water in?
I usually just cook the noodle, drain the water and dump in the seasoning and mix it until it's equally covered. I've never actually left the water in..
Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:20 pm UTC

Back when I used the seasoning packets, yeah, I generally did. It distributes the seasoning better

They/them

Return to “Food”