The Chronicles of Quelouva

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

Pfhorrest

Re: The Chronicles of Quelouva

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:41 am UTC

Thank you so much GnomeAnne. Everything is updated with your latest corrections. It means so much to me that someone cares enough to not only read through it all, but to proofread it too.

FYI the fourth-level summaries (e.g. 1/3/1/1) are basically identical to the fifth-level summaries they contain (so that 1/3/1/1 is just the text of 1/3/1/1/1 through 1/3/1/1/3 strung together), and the huge walls of text currently occupying some of the third-level summaries (like 1/3/1) is in turn just all of that (e.g. 1/3/1/1 through 1/3/1/3) strung together, while the slightly-less-huge walls of text on some second-level summaries (like 2/3) will be expanded to the lower-level summaries to come, and then all of those higher-level summaries will be converted into proper outlines (like e.g. 1/2 already is). So basically, no need to proofread anything but the fifth-level episode summaries, and anything already in outline format above that, because it's all either redundant or going to be overwritten later otherwise.

And those things you list are what comes after the Nurbal 3 series. Nurbal Enemy Part 3 Episode 3 is the tragic end of the Ehrban saga, but the coming end of the Oumen saga will reconnect with the Ehrban saga and wrap things up further, until the subsequent end of the Sphidi saga reconnects to both in turn and finally wraps everything up for good. My writing schedule for the rest of the year is thus:

The rest of September is "off", meaning catchup on things I'm behind on.
The first three weeks of October will be the Resurgent series (the end of the Oumen saga, 2/3).
The rest of October after that will be "off", meaning more catchup probably.
The first three weeks of November will be the Virtuality series (the end of the Sphidi saga, 3/3).
The rest of November and as much as necessary of December will be further catchup until this phase of writing is done.

I'm probably going to take next year off to focus on another project and let Quelouva brew a bit more before coming back to it, though I would love to continue discussing it with anyone still reading it then and maybe making minor touchups and additions as discussion prompts and time allows.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:03 am UTC

Yeah, I noticed that after I had them all copied over. I'm reading them anyway in chronological order, now that I know what the story's about.
Puts the earlier episodes in perspective.

Sharing something I did to cut down on copying errors.
I still have no idea what was up with those.

Pfhorrest wrote:Maybe I should make this “only a few years” rather than “less than a year”. It accomplishes the intended time-skip just as effectively and is maybe a bit more realistic and ambiguous.

He probably takes a week sometimes, and only needs a day or two other times.
Plus, having just slept for a year, he can run 24x7 while he’s awake.
Up to you.

Pfhorrest wrote:This proofreading process is making me realize how many words I habitually misspell because I guess I don’t really know how to spell them, rather than just careless typos, since I make them over and over again. Like this, and “prophecized”. Good learning experience.

I rely waaaay too much on word processors to tell me how to spell.

File storage for 1190
Spoiler:
PART95150680295267895IMG952017092795153646.jpg
Two white dogs. Aren't they cute? They are Bumper and Sophie. They are both 14 years old.
PART95150716018572895IMG952017100395171724.jpg
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:01 am UTC, edited 6 times in total.
Wait For It.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:58 am UTC

Tonight, I finally reorganized the Otherworld series as I've been planning for months now. It's a little unevenly weighted now in terms of where the bulk of the writing presently is, but once that's evened out in the next phase of writing (eventually) I think it will be much more evenly weighted in terms of chronology in the end. Instead of taking place almost entirely during one time period, then skipping a whole century each between Death parts 1 and 2 and Death parts 2 and 3, I've now remapped:

old Birth -> new Birth part 1
old Life -> new Birth part 2
old Death part 1 -> new Birth part 3
old Death part 2 -> new Life
old Death part 3 -> new Death

So the century-long time skips come between Birth and Life, and between Life and Death. (Which parallels the century-long time skips between the stories of the Nurbal series, which occur concurrently with these stories; and sorta correlates kinda with Beyond the Eye of Chaos technically taking place a century before either Opening or Through, even though because of distance and relativistic speeds it fits into the narrative in between them).

I've also added some notes about ghosts and dreams and reincarnation to some of the Darklight stories, as well as noting the framing stories for the whole Otherworld series (which is framed within events yet to be explained near the start of the Virtuality series), and for Meantime of the Darklight part 1 (which is frames within events between parts 1 and 2, much like how Darak Meij part 1 is frames within events between its parts 1 and 2).

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:08 am UTC

Tonight I did the planned reorganization of the Pantheon series.

What had been Genesis 3-2 and 3-3 have been condensed down to 3-3, with Exodus 1-2 and 2-3, about Metis' death and its aftermath, condensed down into Genesis 3-2.

The remainder of Exodus has been reshuffled in more detail than I can recount off the top of my head, into a new structure: Part 1 is all the stuff in Asia (Indus Valley in 1-1, China in 1-2, and the Steppe in 1-3), Part 2 is all the stuff in the West (northern Africa in 2-1, southern Europe in 2-2, and northern Europe in 2-3), and Part 3 is all the stuff involving America (deciding to go there in 3-1, going there in 3-2, and finally getting the heck off this rock again in 3-3).

Synthesis has also been reorganized. Basically, what had been Part 1 is now just pt1ep1, and what had been Part 3 is now just pt3ep1, with pt2ep1 expanded to fill the rest of pt1, pt2ep3 expanded to fill the rest of pt3, and pt2ep2 expanded to fill all of pt2.

I also added some more little details and things that I've thought of or have been brought up in conversations recently to both the Pantheon series and the Eye of Chaos series.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:28 am UTC

Tonight I converted the Nurbal series page into a proper outline, and I also added a bunch of little details I had written notes about to the Antiquity series.

I realized in the process of outlining that I never went and turned the individual Otherworld and Pantheon story pages (e.g. Birth of Another World) into proper outlines as I meant to do along with the reorganization. Still only the Meij, Eye of Chaos, and Darklight series are properly outlined down to that level.

I think I will try to outline one story at that level per day of writing next month, so that next week in addition to fully summarizing Columbia Resurgent I will convert Birth of Another World, Life in Another World, and Death and the Other World all into outlines; then as I work on Terra Resurgent the week after that, I will also convert Pantheon Genesis, Pantheon Exodus, and Pantheon Synthesis into outlines; and as I work on Sol Resurgent in three weeks, I will convert the Magic of Antiquity, the Children of Antiquity, and the War of Antiquity into outlines. I had planned to turn the Nurbal series stories into outlines this week too but I just don't have time for that now, so maybe I'll manage to get both those and the fully-summarized Resurgent series stories properly outlined in my next "week off" a month from now.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:10 am UTC

Tonight I wrote Columbia Resurgent: Part 1, the first part of the final series of the Oumen saga.

I also converted The Birth of Another World into proper outlines.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:26 am UTC

Tonight I wrote Columbia Resurgent: Part 2.

I also converted Life in Another World into proper outlines.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:05 pm UTC

I can't fix the spoiler on that post.
I have no idea what's wrong with it.
I tried deleting all the text and images and putting in a single spoiler with a word in it, and it still came out as text instead of as the button.
I tried deleting the images and reuploading them. Still the tags don't work.

On a more related note, however, I plan on reading the latest chapters this weekend.
Wait For It.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:44 pm UTC

Did you uncheck "disable BBCode", which is close enough to the attachments button to be clicked accidentally?
He/Him/His Image

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:49 pm UTC

Yeah it looks like the BBCode on that post is off entirely because the quote tags aren't working either.

Hope you enjoy the latest chapters when you get a chance. Hopefully a few more will be posted tonight.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:30 am UTC

Tonight I wrote Columbia Resurgent: Part 3.

I also converted Death and the Other World into proper outlines.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:47 am UTC

Tonight I wrote Terra Resurgent: Part 1.

I also converted Pantheon Genesis into proper outlines.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:32 am UTC

Worried that I'm just talking to myself these days.

Tonight I wrote Terra Resurgent: Part 2.

I also converted Pantheon Exodus into proper outlines.

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:01 am UTC

HES wrote:Did you uncheck "disable BBCode", which is close enough to the attachments button to be clicked accidentally?

Yes, that's exactly what I did.
Or, rather, I ununchecked it.

Woot! More story!

Document updated
Wait For It.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:17 pm UTC

Thanks and welcome back GnomeAnne! Everything is updated with your corrections now. :-)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:25 am UTC

Tonight I wrote Terra Resurgent: Part 3.

I also converted Pantheon Synthesis into proper outlines.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:29 am UTC

Tonight I wrote Sol Resurgent: Part 1.

I also converted The Magic of Antiquity into proper outlines.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:04 am UTC

Tonight I wrote Sol Resurgent: Part 2.

I also converted The Children of Antiquity into proper outlines.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:41 am UTC

Tonight I wrote Sol Resurgent: Part 3.

I also converted The War of Antiquity into proper outlines.

Being the climactic conclusion of the Oumen Saga, this is the last regularly scheduled update of the month. Next week I am nominally "off", though I will probably be doing catchup on various notes I've been taking and such.

November will see the final stretch of this phase of writing, the Virtuality series.

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:58 am UTC

If I have Tim later this wip, I'll read through these, but it will most likely have to wait until I return next summer.
Wait For It.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:33 am UTC

I hope you can find the time! Otherwise I guess I will just have to be the one to Wait For It. :-)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:43 am UTC

Mini-update tonight: I began implementing the suggestions from ucim and GnomeAnne to add a narrative-order tag to each episode (e.g. 3x27), and a link to the next episode at the end of the prose of each episode page. I got through the first three seasons but now I have to sleep; I'll try to do another three tomorrow and the rest on Thursday. I also added another, hopefully even more noticeable link to the first episode narratively at the top of the prose of the main Chronicles index.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:28 am UTC

Another mini-update, adding a tiny detail to the end of Pantheon Genesis and continuing the structural/navigational changes I started last night.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:38 am UTC

Tonight I finished those structural/navigational updates, and made some small changes I've been taking notes on (some small changes to The Falling of the Darklight: Part 2, Episode 1, and some more reorganization of Life in Another World with lots of small placeholders for longer, more interesting stories to write later).

This is the last mini-update of the week, and next week I begin the final stretch of proper writing on the story that got my excited enough back at the start of the year to want to write it down, which I couldn't do without writing all the rest of this down first: Virtuality Transcendent.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:04 am UTC

...aaand we're into the home stretch, with Virtuality Transcendent: Part 1 beginning the story that got me excited enough back in January to bother writing all the rest of this down all year just so I could tell this part in a context that it would make any sense.

Also I converted the fourth-level sub-summaries of Beyond the Eye of Chaos, Darak Meij, and The Meantime of the Darklight all to stubby little mini-outlines.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:21 am UTC

The reality-bending is really heating up in Virtuality Transcendent: Part 2.

Also I converted the fourth-level sub-summaries of Falling of the Darklight, Within the Eye of Chaos, and Lievus Meij all to stub outlines, and accidentally preemptively did that for Meij Endaren, Across the Eye of Chaos, and Rising of the Darklight too.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:42 am UTC

Transcendence finally achieved in Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3.

In future news, I'm considering merging “Within the Eye of Chaos” (formerly "Opening the Eye of Chaos", recently renamed) in with “Across the Eye of Chaos” (until recently "Through the Eye of Chaos)". All of that stuff was originally part of one story (for a game that was to be called Portal, way before there was a game called Portal), so it really belongs together, and I want to make room for something else earlier in series 2 of the Oumen saga: I want to split “Pantheon Synthesis” in two, moving the bulk of it (the Chinese robots and American zombies and the whole founding of the Internation) to be the new Oumen series 2 story 1, and spread the beginning of the present Pantheon Synthesis (the World War, Cold War, and Silent War stuff) out to fill the rest of Pantheon Synthesis.

That would have the Pantheon series runs up to the present (we're currently in the middle of the Silent War by my future history's reckoning), and put all future action into Oumen series 2 (which will then need a new name, but I always kinda hated that "Eye of Chaos" stuff anyway). This also better aligns Oumen series 2 with the Otherworld and Nurbal series and their tripartite time periods with about a century in between them each.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:05 am UTC

Feeling kinda lonely in here lately, if anyone is still following along I'd love to hear of it even if you don't have anything you want to say about it.

Tonight I finished Virtuality Incarnate: Part 1, and I converted the Otherworld series level 4 pages to mini-outlines.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:24 am UTC

Tonight I finished Virtuality Incarnate: Part 2, and I converted the Pantheon series level 4 pages to mini-outlines.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 am UTC

Tonight I finished Virtuality Incarnate: Part 3, and I converted the Antiquity series level 4 pages to mini-outlines.

And with that, there is only one week left of this phase of writing! Next week is the climactic final story, Virtuality Immanent. And then for the rest of the year minus time off for holidays I will just be doing some clean up after the various reorganizations that have happened along the way, and after that I will be calling this "done for now", though still far, far, faaaaar from actually "done" in any real sense of the word.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 am UTC

The final week of new writing proper is underway! The big bad is at last unleashed! The final battle has begun!

Tonight I wrote Virtuality Immanent: Part 1, and I converted the Nurbal series to proper outlines (which I thought I had done already but apparently not).

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:56 am UTC

Tonight I wrote Virtuality Immanent: Part 2, and I converted the Resurgent series to proper outlines.

I feel like I should feel joyous and triumphant at being one day away from the scheduled end of this year-long project I have successfully persevered on, but instead I feel tremendously disappointed in how little sense everything I've been writing tonight makes, like all of the little things that don't make any sense have all been piling up and now they're finally coming back to bite me on the ass.

I wish I had that Foundation halo AI interface of my own, so that a smarter, supercomputer version of me could effortlessly go over all of this with a fine tooth comb and make it actually.... good.

Pfhorrest

THE CHRONICLES OF QUELOUVA ARE DONE (kinda)

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:54 am UTC

HOLY MOTHER FORKING SHIRTBALLS CAN IT POSSIBLY BE!?

The Chronicles of Quelouva are done!

Well, this phase of summaries at least.

Except for the month of miscellaneous cleanup that's about about to follow.

But for now, the grande finale: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3.

I also converted the entire Virtuality series to proper outlines.

But right now I just want to cheer "hurray it's done! hurray it's done!"

Someone please cheer with me.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: THE CHRONICLES OF QUELOUVA ARE DONE (kinda)

Postby SBN » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:20 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:HOLY MOTHER FORKING SHIRTBALLS CAN IT POSSIBLY BE!?

The Chronicles of Quelouva are done!

Well, this phase of summaries at least.

Except for the month of miscellaneous cleanup that's about about to follow.

But for now, the grande finale: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3.

I also converted the entire Virtuality series to proper outlines.

But right now I just want to cheer "hurray it's done! hurray it's done!"

Someone please cheer with me.

I am very impressed at how you accomplished what you have here.

I still plan to read it, when life allows. But for now:

Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:45 am UTC

Bravo! It is so impressive that you did this. I still have so many, much smaller, projects that I haven't gotten around to yet. You are an inspiration!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:25 am UTC

Thank you so much, it's so nice to hear that :-)

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:37 am UTC

Congrats - it's really a massive undertaking! I'm presently at (2x13) Within the Eye of Chaos: Part 2, Episode 1, reading narratively, but I have no idea how far I am in the narration. While things aren't yet coming together for me in the story, I am seeing common threads and relationships, and at this point (think I) am seeing the Pfhorrest philosophy peeking through. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:05 am UTC

ucim wrote:I have no idea how far I am in the narration.

There are nine 27-episode seasons, so you're about 16% through.

Tonight I have been working on the earlier-mentioned rearrangement of (what's currently called) Pantheon Synthesis, Within the Eye of Chaos, and Across the Eye of Chaos; there's no new or different story stuff and the chronological order of events is the same, but I've merged "Within" into "Across", moved most of Pantheon Synthesis into the place that "Within" was at before, and stretched the beginning of Pantheon Synthesis out over the rest of that space. (And renamed the three "Eye of Chaos" stories to new placeholder names, "Future Perfect", "Future Continuous", and "Future Prospective", since the material currently in Pantheon Synthesis doesn't deal with the so-called Eye of Chaos at all).

I was going to upload that tonight when I finished it in like an hour, but since you're in the middle of the story I'll hold off on that so you don't miss out on anything.

Unless, perhaps, you wouldn't mind rewinding back four episodes, to the start of "Within the Eye of Chaos"/"Future Perfect", which is where the changes I've just made first take effect in narrative order? Let me know, and I'll wait until I hear from you before proceeding with the change.

While things aren't yet coming together for me in the story, I am seeing common threads and relationships, and at this point (think I) am seeing the Pfhorrest philosophy peeking through. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

For what it's worth, there's nothing (much) that's intended to be a tract of my own opinions in there. At different parts of the story different characters and peoples forward different ideologies and opinions and sometimes people I don't agree with win. I guess the part you're at right now does show a bit of my own philosophical hand though, since I'm trying to depict a genuine utopia and so it will reflect what I think a genuine utopia would look like.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:05 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:There are nine 27-episode seasons, so you're about 16% through.
So I presume sxe (i.e. 2x13) is season x episode. I was wondering (and I think it was even my own suggestion).

Pfhorrest wrote:Unless, perhaps, you wouldn't mind rewinding back four episodes, to the start of "Within the Eye of Chaos"/"Future Perfect", which is where the changes I've just made first take effect in narrative order? Let me know, and I'll wait until I hear from you before proceeding with the change.
I'm not scared of time travel; upload away!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Return to “Your art and links”