Sci-fi flash fiction experiments

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

modularblues

Sci-fi flash fiction experiments

Postby modularblues » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:35 am UTC

Someone told me my stories are too nerdy for public mass consumption, but I don't like to dumb down my writing. So I submitted some entries for this quantum physics-inspired flash fiction contest, but I wonder how well these shorts stand on their own.

(1) Waiting for Symmetry
(2) The Unbearable Lightness of Moments
(3) Parallel Strings, Manifold Lives

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Re: Sci-fi flash fiction experiments

Postby Kewangji » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

I read the first two.

There's a difference between 'dumbing down' and 'actually explaining what you're talking about'. Your stories contain jargon, seemingly for jargon's sake.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

Weeks wrote:One of these days I'm going to slip into your room at night and I'm gonna motorboat you.

Adam H

Re: Sci-fi flash fiction experiments

Postby Adam H » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

Well, yeah, they're definitely too nerdy for the general public. They're even too nerdy for me and I'm definitely above average nerdiness. But part of the appeal is that only a select few will "get it". There's nothing wrong with that if that's what you're going for. But if your target audience is the typical college grad, or your purpose is to educate non-experts, yeah you have failed miserably to make it understandable. :)
-Adam

Return to “Your art and links”