Time travel puzzle game

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

jseah

Time travel puzzle game

Postby jseah » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:07 pm UTC

I made this little time travel game in python-tkinter, which has since run out of clever ideas to implement. Read: I got bored.

Nevertheless, think of this as a proof of concept that a NCP Time Travel model is possible in a puzzle game format.
Warning, I have no experience with UI design although the tips should explain it sufficiently. "Art" is also 16x16 pixel things drawn in paint.

DL link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pkr38 ... f7v/TL.zip

Comments welcome. Bug reports also, but unlikely to be fixed.
Source code available if anyone wants it. (python 3.3)
Last edited by jseah on Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Stories:
Time is Like a River - consistent time travel to the hilt
A Hero's War
Tensei Simulator build 18 - A python RPG

Felix Griffin

Re: Time travel puzzle game

Postby Felix Griffin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

Are any command-line arguments required? When I try to launch with just "tl" it dies immediately with an IndexError.

jseah

Postby jseah » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:39 pm UTC

Oops. I forgot that the debug level has to be present.

You can copy the "1#A Short Step" text file in the puzzles directory and rename the copy to "0#A Short Step" and it should work. Alternatively, I've reuploaded a fixed version.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pkr38 ... f7v/TL.zip

Thanks for pointing it out.
Stories:
A Hero's War

Felix Griffin

Postby Felix Griffin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:41 pm UTC

Excellent, it's working now. I haven't seen many time-travel puzzles where Novikov's Principle is in effect, so I like the way it's enforced in this one. :D

One suggestion: is there a simple way to step forward/backward through the timeline without changing any actions, just to see what's happening? A keyboard shortcut or such?

jseah

Postby jseah » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:37 pm UTC

Felix Griffin wrote:Excellent, it's working now. I haven't seen many time-travel puzzles where Novikov's Principle is in effect, so I like the way it's enforced in this one. :D

I cheat at this one though. =P

The game relies on the player to make the timeline consistent instead of computing a consistent set of actions. Still, the end result is always consistent so...
Felix Griffin wrote:One suggestion: is there a simple way to step forward/backward through the timeline without changing any actions, just to see what's happening? A keyboard shortcut or such?

Moving the slider bar at the bottom of the screen (below the blue timeline area), will change the current timeslice. The arrows to the left and right of the slider bar will also increment/decrement the current timeslice.

You can also change the current time by clicking on an order in the Orders list. This jumps you to the timeslice of that order.
Stories:
A Hero's War

Return to “Your art and links”