Critique for my "comic diary"?

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

fyrenwater

Critique for my "comic diary"?

Postby fyrenwater » Fri May 08, 2015 5:00 am UTC

Copypasted from reddit. People were needlessly hostile and (passive) aggressive. Not surprised, just disappointed. And it's really bummed me out.

I've been trying to get back into art for a while, so I'm going more for quantity than quality at this point. I've been keeping a comic diary of interesting things that I've experienced with my SO.

I'm emphasizing storytelling and expressions more than any realism or clean art, so they're scribbly and simple. (Going for "60% perfect and 100% done" as opposed to "100% perfect and 60% done")

On deviantART: http://fyrenwater.deviantart.com/gallery/54277411/Everyday-Adventures
On Tumblr: http://fyrenwater.tumblr.com/tagged/everyday-adventures

Any suggestions on improvements? Things that aren't clear? Ways I can speed up &/or simplify the creation process?

Thanks!
...It made more sense in my head.

cardboard_armour

Re: Critique for my "comic diary"?

Postby cardboard_armour » Sat May 09, 2015 3:42 pm UTC

Show's promise :)
Not hilarious but charming. Keep going.

Some possible pointers:

The thickness of the comic borders is disproportionately thick in comparison to the line thickness of the comics.

You might want to up the DPI resolution of the drawing before you start. This should eliminate the jaggedness of the lines.

The sketchy style one about the crabs is not the way to go IMO. Pick a line and stick with it. Doing a rough version on a separate layer beforehand and then inks on an upper layer can help with this.

Either way don't let haters discourage you. Keep doing stuff :)

fyrenwater

Re: Critique for my "comic diary"?

Postby fyrenwater » Sat May 09, 2015 11:52 pm UTC

cardboard_armour wrote:The thickness of the comic borders is disproportionately thick in comparison to the line thickness of the comics.

I went with something thicker to stand out against any straight lines I made in the panels, but maybe I'll come up with different border types.

(jagged lines and layers)

Yeah, first two were worked at 100%, so lines are wobbly. The third was done at double the final size, but I went with a more scribbly style because I was growing tired and my past injuries were flaring up. I'm thinking of maybe revisiting that one because I'm quite happy with it.

Thanks for your feedback!
...It made more sense in my head.

Return to “Your art and links”