Stick figure comic

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

jgf

Stick figure comic

Postby jgf » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:50 am UTC

I once made a comic using stick figures. Probably won't make sense unless you do ballroom dancing, though...

peri_renna

Postby peri_renna » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:48 am UTC

I have no clue about ballroom dancing. I still say it's pretty funny.

(P.S. Do the movies deceive me, or do vast numbers of popular dances involve that same pose?)

jgf

Postby jgf » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:23 pm UTC

It depends on what you mean by pose.

If you look at the two major styles of competitive ballroom, Standard and Latin, both have a hold that is used for all their component dances (exceptions: Tango and Paso Doble) with minor differences. And the changes for Tango and Paso Doble are easy to gloss over.

When they are danced socially (read: informally), the differences between Standard and Latin hold are even fewer. Most of the time, the follower's right hand is in the leader's left hand; the leader's right hand is on the follower's shoulderblade; and the follower's left hand is around his shoulder or bicep. As for other dances, many popular dances like Salsa and many forms of swing use something very similar to a Latin hold. The primary exceptions I am aware of are Argentine Tango, Balboa, Blues, and (to a lesser degree) Lindy Hop.

If by pose you mean the positions you hit during the dance... well, there's only so many positions the body looks good in. :) Most dances try to touch upon as many of those as they can while remaining true to the flavor of the dance.

But by no means does that mean all the dances are the same.

drollglee

Postby drollglee » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:07 pm UTC

I do not care to read the above post, for it is too lengthy and I am most of the way through a strong drink.

Your comic is indeed funny and apt. Mostly the "shy guy shy girl" stuff (that I can actually relate to, unlike the ballroom dancing.) It would be a terrible idea to make a comic purely based around that (I'm sure it would get old) but interspersed with other ideas I think it is good stuff and has a good (if simple) artistic style.

jgf

Postby jgf » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:02 am UTC

Thanks! Shy Guy, Shy Girl has not been updated for the reason you said: there's only so much you can do with it.

I've been planning another comic (with real art) about ballroom dancing, grad students, and relationships; the three have more in common than you'd think. Of course, then I read xkcd, and he does two of the three, so the need isn't as pressing anymore...

drollglee

Postby drollglee » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:36 am UTC

Yeah, you know, after I read through the xkcd archives, I thought "Huh, I guess I don't really have to worry about properly delivering my own self-expression, since this guy has more or less expressed most of the stuff I want to say and seems to be doing it better than I can."

Tropylium

Postby Tropylium » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:40 pm UTC

I do recall something to that extent from high school. (Over here we have a more formal dance event tradition instead of the Leftpondian proms.)

drollglee wrote:I do not care to read the above post, for it is too lengthy and I am most of the way through a strong drink.

FWIW, you can increasingly just use the handy acronym "tl;dr". Looks more convincingly busy, too?

Larissa

It's apt

Postby Larissa » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:49 pm UTC

I've been ballroom dancing for . . . ugh, I just calculated and it makes me feel old: 16 years, and I totally get the cartoon. What makes it funnier for me is that I've been to the DanceSport competitions and they turn it into a contact sport! The ladies have their heads turned way to the left, and so do the guys, so often they're in the middle of quite a spin when a competing couple enters the orbit too fast for them to see. Their heads conk like a couple of coconuts, and you can hear it even if you don't have good seats. :shock: I don't know the actual statistics, but I'm sure there have been a few concussions over the years (never to me, thank goodness)! Yup, your picture brings back a thousand memories. (Not to discourage anyone from ballroom dancing, btw . . . it is tons of fun).

Return to “Your art and links”