A Work in Progress

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

Shoofle

A Work in Progress

Postby Shoofle » Thu May 18, 2006 11:12 am UTC

OR
My First Experimentations with a Tablet and GIMP

beriah.xkcd.com/~doug/

So I've been working with my brother's tablet and making some stuff in the GIMP, which is like photoshop but free. I came up with this idea of an image that I would get really used to drawing so I could use it to try out using new methods for making images. It's a knight-type guy. In any case, I worked on him a lot last night. His head is much simpler because I was using just one (maybe two) brush to do the head but then I used my own brush for the rest. What do you think my friends?

James

Postby James » Fri May 19, 2006 6:20 am UTC

It's pretty good; I've always wanted to draw on a tablet, I think.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Scott

Postby Scott » Fri May 19, 2006 10:18 am UTC

The shoulders and head look nicely 3-dimensional, but I'm not sure about the arms and hands...

Generally, it's better than my own artwork though, so no criticism here.

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Sat May 20, 2006 12:52 am UTC

The arm shading never got quite as dark as I wanted it to; I need to work with some of my settings. The way I do my shading is by using a 1px brush of whatever the color of the material is and setting the transparency down, then just scribbling in. It builds up, sometimes too quickly; see the near shoulder.

Matt

Postby Matt » Mon May 22, 2006 12:51 am UTC

not too wild about the calligraphy brush linework but I dig your shading/coloring style muchly
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Mon May 22, 2006 11:04 am UTC

What specifically about the linework do you not like? If you are referring to the general quality of the lines then I understand very much - this 4x5 tablet, while being better than no tablet, is very jittery and for some reason likes making lines jittery or something. Maybe I'm just not working with the right settings... Maybe I need to install the software... In any case, the computer I did this thing on is dead now, so I can't do much.

Return to “Your art and links”