My odd little comic

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

iglidante

My odd little comic

Postby iglidante » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:59 pm UTC

I'm working on a webcomic called Flying Man and Friends. I started it about a month ago. I'm updating it three times a week.

I'm not really sure how to describe it. But I really enjoy writing it, and the cheerfulness of the art makes me smile (or laugh). Really, it's just plain odd.
Baby, don't you know the world's okay? But you're all wrapped around these gears, dreaming that tomorrow is today.

http://ianmarquis.bandcamp.com/album/the-shivers

iglidante

Re: My odd little comic

Postby iglidante » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:30 pm UTC

No replies? Eh, happens.

I've got new strips up since I posted the thread. There's "The French Fry" and "Time To Rock."
Baby, don't you know the world's okay? But you're all wrapped around these gears, dreaming that tomorrow is today.

MATPHAT

Postby MATPHAT » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

Is Mr. Stinky as plush toy?
I like the fact that I have very little idea what's going on here.
=D

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby Earlz » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:39 am UTC

ummm.. maybe I'm not cultured enough or something but.. I don't get it. at all lol
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

t_catt11

Postby t_catt11 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

Okay, first off, the humor doesn't appeal to me. That does NOT mean that it's bad by any stretch of the imagination - I just may be missing the gags. That's fine!

However, I see a major issue with your site - the link takes me to the latest page, great. From there, I can go to the first strip, or I can click the archive calendar. There is no "previous" button. On an archive page, there is no "first comic" or "latest comic" button. And on all pages, I have to scroll back to the top to click on anything.

Put in a standard first/previous/next/latest navigation bar, and copy the darned thing down below the comic (or move it there... hello, people will theoretically read the strip, which puts them at the bottom of the page, where the links woul dbe useful, anyway). Otherwise, you're just gonna frustrate people like me who might have otherwise gotten your jokes and wanted to read more.
Santa4me.com: personalized letters from Santa Claus!

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

t_catt11 - Unfortunately, that's a problem I haven't been able to fix yet. I've never used Wordpress or Comicpress before, and the PHP is a little...obtuse. I'm not a PHP coder, but I know enough about syntax to mess around with it. The functions to call the previous page link are intact, and should be causing the link to appear, but it doesn't. I need to figure that one out, because I agree with you - it's a major stumbling block for navigating the site.

Anyone have any ideas? This is the nav code:

Code: Select all

<div class="nav">
               <div class="nav-first"><a href="<?php echo $first_comic ?>" title="Go to the First Comic">&lsaquo;&lsaquo; The Beginning</a></div>
               <div class="nav-previous"><?php global $wp_query; $wp_query->is_single = true; previous_comic_link('%link', '&lsaquo; Previous'); $wp_query->is_single = false ?></div>
            </div>

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:14 pm UTC

MATPHAT - Mr. Stinky may or may not be plush...but he certainly does look soft, doesn't he?

Not knowing what is going on is definitely part of the "story." Whatever is happening, it's more than strange. I love creating these little situations and seeing how they turn out. :D

zabopper

Postby zabopper » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:13 pm UTC

It made me laugh.

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

Excellent!

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

The navigation links are, for the most part, working correctly now. I had been managing the comic in the wrong way (posting blog entries with the comic image at the top, rather than uploading the comics with the manager) and that had broken my archive links.

Now, the right sidebar is misbehaving, but other than that everything seems to be in order.

punkymonkey

Postby punkymonkey » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

I think it's ... cute.

Although "Mr. Stinky" sure is said a lot. :/
<wst> punkymonkey is actually punky. phew

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:19 pm UTC

Yeah, it's sort of a little tic Flying Man has going on. He always addresses Mr. Stinky by name whenever he speaks to him.

But cute is definitely my aim. I love all the happy faces. It makes everything so much more surreal.

bittyx

Postby bittyx » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

Yeah, surreal is exactly how I'd describe it. I laughed really hard at the "generic ketchup" one (probably because bad advertising is a really big pet peeve of mine, though). Bookmarked, gonna keep reading if I remember to (if not, this topic will likely remind me).

One thing about the navigation - I'm thrilled if I can easily navigate with my keyboard, could you maybe set it up so that left/right arrows switch to the previous/next comics? Sorta like facebook has with photos...

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

It's cute.
And I wish I had the creativity to update my webcomic regularly.

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:24 pm UTC

Vanguard: It took me several years to get to a point where I was actually able to make the first strip. I'm usually really bad at following through with plans, especially when they involve updating something regularly - so I know what you mean.

bittyx: Glad you like it (and very flattered to hear that you bookmarked it). Generic ketchup is just name brand ketchup with a different sticker anyway. I mean, it's not as if Hannaford has a ketchup factory of their own - someone has to make it. That annoys me a lot too. And as for the navigation, I'm not sure how I would do that, but I'll look into it, because it would be pretty convenient.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

I just update mine when I get ideas. Not the most reliable system, but it's better than just sitting on my hands.

mr_pathetic

Postby mr_pathetic » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:44 am UTC

Whatever the theme you certainly are sticking with it.... :wink:

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

mr_pathetic: I have a blast writing for these characters, and at this point I'm getting a pretty good feel for the setup and humor I'm shooting for. If it makes me smile, I go with it. If it falls a little flat, I rework it. And if it needs an interesting prop, I'm not afraid to spend half an hour making a purple Les Paul. :D

ctrite

Postby ctrite » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

As a comic artist myself I must say I like it, the colouring and background...got a few posts there and good stuff..like the ketchup shirt..

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

Hey, thanks ctrite. I use FMAF as an excuse to make things bright and colorful. Maybe some odd color choices here and there, just because they caught my eye. Making the guitar purple was one of those things. I've always liked drawing objects and backgrounds better than people. My doodles are all rockets, mountains, and weird things like cheese and cake. I think that if I hadn't made the ketchup strip, I might not have though to use props quite so much - but since I did, I make a concerted effort to do more of that.

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:58 pm UTC

bittyx: I checked, and there actually IS a plugin for Comicpress that allows archive navigation using the arrow keys. I downloaded it, installed it on my site...and it doesn't work. So, I'm still trying to figure that one out. But at least I've got a lead.

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

I realized just now that I never actually posted an image, forcing everyone to click on the link instead. Big lapse on my part. So, without further ado, here is one of my personal favorites:

(on the site, that strip can be found here)

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:04 pm UTC

I don't get it :(

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

Whatever Mr. Stinky wanted to contribute to the salad, it must have been unsuitable for a respectable salad.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:50 pm UTC

My first thought was "did he take something out and run off with it?"
Or something.

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

I left it open to interpretation - but for me, the best part is panel 3. It really gets me - the dialog, and the scene itself. It's confusing, but I like that.

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

New one today (second two panels have a glitch where the speech bubbles aren't white as they should be):

Earlz

Postby Earlz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:32 am UTC

I figured it out..

your comic is like going to a painting in an art museum.. you just think about it.. and attempt to interpret. with a little chuckle here and there..
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:11 am UTC

You know what? You pretty much got it.

I've always enjoyed things that confused me, made me think, made me wonder exactly what was going on. That, combined with cute characters and a pretty setting, plus humor, is what I'm shooting for.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:27 pm UTC

iglidante wrote:It took me several years to get to a point where I was actually able to make the first strip. I'm usually really bad at following through with plans, especially when they involve updating something regularly - so I know what you mean.

This, totally this :) We should form a support group :)

Like the strip in general, very surreal. I haven't read through the entire archive yet but will be doing as soon as 5 minutes here and there allow me to :)

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:23 pm UTC

keozen: It's really, really hard to follow through on something when the execution seems daunting. Design characters, plan comics, build a website, somehow get people to read it. That's a lot of work. I tried to start comics several times in college. I wish I had followed through. I had so much more free time back then. Now, I value that time more, though, and when I get myself in gear I'm better able to take advantage of it.

I'm glad to hear you like the strip. :D

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:18 pm UTC

Today's strip is a silly one - Mr. Stinky as the mother ship is something I find quite amusing.

Earlz

Postby Earlz » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:58 am UTC

This one is my favorite lol I like the air bubble around the fry and ketchup
DEFIANCE!

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:25 am UTC

For some reason, after I finished with Flying Man and the Mr. Stinky spaceship, I thought it would be funny to have air globes around the food objects. And it was!

...and what do you mean when you say "this cheese is burning me?" I've seen it a couple of times now, but I don't follow.

mr_pathetic

Postby mr_pathetic » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

That's no moon, that's Mr. Stinky.

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

I thought about giving him a viewing port, but since he doesn't have a face that wouldn't have made much sense. So he's entirely encased in metal, forever leaving his earthly possessions behind. So sad.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

The professional aesthetic of the site and the comic is a sure recipe to success in the future. I'm impressed that you've just gotten started and the site and comic are looking so sharp.

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

Omegaton: Hey, thanks! I've been working with Photoshop for a long time now, and I've been paying the bills in design-related ways for a while, too. I really have been wanting to do a comic for a long time. I just couldn't bring myself to invest the hours I knew it would take to get it off the ground. So, once I actually did get around to it, I really was able to hone in on what I wanted to do pretty quickly. Oh, and jumping into Comicpress without any instruction? Rather painful. I only recently (within the year) started messing around with server-side web work, and I'm no programmer. I bunged parts of it pretty badly, and had to wipe the first 18 strips and redo everything. But now, I feel pretty happy with the way everything is running.

Basically, I love FMAF, and I get a kick out of making it. And I really want to share that with other people, because (to me, at least) that's a big part of creating something.

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:06 am UTC

The guitar makes a comeback in today's new strip. And this time, it actually gets played. Sort of.

iglidante

Postby iglidante » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:04 pm UTC

Oh, and the "this cheese is burning me" thing is starting to sound like "gently caress" over on the SA forums. I get the impression that it's a word filter joke. But these things are rarely amusing if you have to explain them, so I'll just accept it and move on.

Return to “Your art and links”