The CGI/Animation/Other Digital Art thread

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

J the Ninja

The CGI/Animation/Other Digital Art thread

Postby J the Ninja » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

After several near-derailings in FaiD, it was decided that this should probably have its own thread. So this is a general place to talk about computer-generated artwork of all forms. Animation, still renderings, photomanipulation, visual effects, etc, etc. Tools, techniques, your own stuff you need help with, your finished works, you get the idea.

ok, GO!

Me personally, I started doing graphics in Photoshop at the old Nintendo forums when I was 13. I moved into video later in life, and started doing 3D modeling a few months ago. I eventually hope to do video editing and motion graphics for a living, but am still an undergrad at the moment. You can click the links in my sig to see my work. I do my 3D modeling using Blender, and Photoshop for most everything else. I also own Apple's Final Cut Studio package, which I use for video editing and compositing. How about you?
Last edited by J the Ninja on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Josephine

Re: The CGI/Animation/Other Digital Art thread

Postby Josephine » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

I told you this would end up here. Anyway, what have you been rendering so much that's eaten into your F@H time?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

Here's (a downscaled version of) the output image from Lux, as of about 2 hours ago:

1810s Mon Morn 2.png

Just north of 1.8K s/px. This is probably my gaziilionth try rendering it, since I was learning Lux's materials as I went. I think I am happy enough with this, except for the faceting on the stalactites. I think I pulled too hard with the grab brush. :| Perhaps I can make them a bit less obvious in Photoshop, I don't know.

Also, ignore that firefly in the back, Photoshop's spot healing brush will have dealt with that in the final image. I think I'll also crank the contrast a little bit before I post the final version.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

The cave could use some subsurfing and the chandelier could be more well-defined, but I like it.

Are those the weird little pokemon symbol things?

EDIT: And the floor... is it water, is it smooth marble, is it sand? I can't really tell.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

I fear the RAM use from subdividing the cave any further. The floor is smooth stone of some kind, I don't know, I gave up trying to find something I really liked. I had originally sketched it out as wood, but that looked even worse.

And yeah, they're the Pokemon Unown
(he/him/his)

hintss

Postby hintss » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

out of curiosity, what mac do you have? or is it a hackintosh? or is it something else entirely...

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:33 am UTC

Late 2008 2.4Ghz MacBook Pro, upgraded to 4GB of RAM and with the DVD burner replaced with a second hard disk. I have a homebuilt tower as well, which is main rendering and folding machine.
(he/him/his)

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:39 am UTC

what OS on the tower?

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:27 am UTC

hintss wrote:what OS on the tower?

It's a windows box as far as I know.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

Dual-booting Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7, nothing special.
(he/him/his)

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:59 pm UTC

Right now I'm in the process of making a mag-lev train. I have the train and some straight track down, but texturing it and getting it to move around a curve is going to be interesting...

I hate texturing.

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

actually, for a small maglev, since I have practically no experience in computer modeling, what I'd do is have a model run against a greenscreen...

also, I downloaded blender...

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:06 am UTC

would someone care to teach me blender?

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:41 am UTC

How about you hit the series of tubes and teach yourself, like the rest of us did. (I also taught myself Photoshop, and Final Cut Pro. In fact, the only creative app I have had something approaching formal instruction with is Illustrator. You get used to doing this after awhile, and it's a good skill to have)

Here are some links to get you started:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

http://www.blender.org/education-help/

Did you download 2.5 or 2.49? 2.5 is a bit more user-friendly, IMO, especially if you aren't sure what you're doing.
(he/him/his)

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:57 am UTC

There are loads of youtube tutorials as well, if you prefer to learn visually. And I'm sure people in this thread would be happy to help with specific questions.

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:17 am UTC

J the Ninja wrote:How about you hit the series of tubes and teach yourself, like the rest of us did. (I also taught myself Photoshop, and Final Cut Pro. In fact, the only creative app I have had something approaching formal instruction with is Illustrator. You get used to doing this after awhile, and it's a good skill to have)

Here are some links to get you started:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

http://www.blender.org/education-help/

Did you download 2.5 or 2.49? 2.5 is a bit more user-friendly, IMO, especially if you aren't sure what you're doing.

*opens blender to check...* 2.49b, from the ubuntu repos. also, I got it onto the aspire revo for rendering as I hate how long it takes to render on my netbook (14 seconds for the loaded-by-default-cube?!)

anyway, can someone give me a project to start with?

edit:
netbook F12 to finished preview time: 14 seconds
nettop/HTPC/general server F12 to preview time: 4 seconds

see why I want a GUI on it (the server/nettop/HTPC)?...

edit2: would many of these make a good render farm? Also, in the picture of it, is that a scene from Big Buck Bunny, from the open movie project?

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:50 am UTC

Not sure what you'll do with it, but here's a goblet with grass growing out it. BONUS: Free* model of a goblet that is way thicker than it needs to be!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1706676/blah.blend
blah.png

*CC-BY-NC 3.0
(he/him/his)

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:27 am UTC

hintss wrote:
*opens blender to check...* 2.49b, from the ubuntu repos. also, I got it onto the aspire revo for rendering as I hate how long it takes to render on my netbook (14 seconds for the loaded-by-default-cube?!)

edit:

edit2: would many of these make a good render farm? Also, in the picture of it, is that a scene from Big Buck Bunny, from the open movie project?

Yeah, don't use a netbook for rendering. don't even use a net-top unless it's for a render farm. For a single system, the more power the better. Gaming desktops are good choices.

Blender uses CPU rendering, and the GPU for the program itself. If you're trying to use Atom processors for that... good luck.

they would make a decent render farm, but again, focus on CPU. And that is Big Buck Bunny.

hintss

Postby hintss » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:40 am UTC

nbonaparte wrote:
hintss wrote:

edit:

Yeah, don't use a netbook for rendering. don't even use a net-top unless it's for a render farm. For a single system, the more power the better. Gaming desktops are good choices.

Blender uses CPU rendering, and the GPU for the program itself. If you're trying to use Atom processors for that... good luck.

they would make a decent render farm, but again, focus on CPU. And that is Big Buck Bunny.

yeah, I was planning to watch big buck bunny on the flight to Taiwan...

anyway, the nettop has an Ion, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, and an intel atom...

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:24 am UTC

http://vimeo.com/12729674

I had some fun with particles today.....(and sound effects :))
(he/him/his)

Zakhar

Postby Zakhar » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

Did this a couple months ago. will probably never get finished.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

Nice. In what program?

Zakhar

Postby Zakhar » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:00 am UTC

its a free program called Sculptris

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:38 am UTC

I thought so. I've been messing with that. Too bad I suck at organic modeling.

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

been playing with openSCAD, now I want a 3D printer again :(

evilspoons

Postby evilspoons » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

Wow, rendering on a netbook! I'd never thought of how dreadful that would be until now.

Then again, my first forays into CG were on a Pentium 166 (educational version of 3ds max R3). Damnit, that was slow. I'm assuming the Atom is a bit faster than that thing anyway. :)

The only 3d-related stuff I'm up to nowadays is modelling my condo's interior for furniture placement with Google Sketchup. Sketchup is surprisingly competent for modelling simple things and the photo-matching feature is actually pretty awesome. There's just no rendering - I'm pondering looking into a Sketchup-to-something-else converter so I can play with fancy lighting when I'm done with the actual modelling job, though.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:46 am UTC

I took a skull model I found online (searched google for 'skull filetype:blend', which is a great way to find models) and made a large array of cubes over it. Now I'm cutting away those cubes to make a sort of low-res voxel version so I can build a huge skull in Dwarf Fortress using it as a model. 6*803 vertices on the cubes alone, not counting the skull. It's straining this computer.

EDIT: I wonder if I could accomplish this with a python script.

Felipe Budinich

Postby Felipe Budinich » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

I was not able to create a thread yesterday, so i guess i'll just post an example of my work here:

This is an animation of a Robot doing Karate (named after a Taekwon-Do tul) with a Stravinski remix as background music :D
http://www.vimeo.com/15312479

And here is my first test with Iray (using the same robot model):
Spoiler:

The image on the left is straight out of the renderer, and the image on the right has some post production work done.

Cheers!
Last edited by Felipe Budinich on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:17 am UTC

I'm taking another stab at modeling Mew (first attempt here). This time, the topology doesn't utterly suck. (the first time, I was just throwing edge loops around and deleting them, I'd missed the bulletin about subdividing the cube a few times right of the bat. This one is coming out a lot better, the topology is nice a clean (well, clean enough):

Spoiler:

Rendered:

Spoiler:

This is just the base mesh, I haven't rigged or sculpted it yet. I'm also not sure what to do with the eyes. Mew has "anime eyes", but I want this to look fairly realistic. So I'm not sure if I should just try to do anime eyes, even though it might look cheesy, or go for realism and mess with the character.

Oh, and this is my first time rigging a character, I've stuck to hard surface modeling mainly. (the first attempt was modeled already posed, which was providential since I never could've rigged that mess anyway). The order is sculpt > retopo > UV map > bake normals > rig, right?
(he/him/his)

Felipe Budinich

Postby Felipe Budinich » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:26 am UTC

@J the Ninja: Your topology is ok it wont cause horrible deformations when rigged, but you could relax the polygons a bit around center of the chest. Also you would benefit greatly from using blueprints (your model is decent, but i can tell that you eyeballed it), as far as I know that technique can be used in any 3D modelling package, Check out this tutorial (written for max, but the same principles apply for all applications where you can do Subsivision modeling).

Now, another image I made:
Spoiler:

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:05 pm UTC

I did have a reference image, but it's hard to find t-position front and side views of Pokemon. When you're doing fan art, you don't always get nice character sketches to work from, you sometimes just have to go with what you can find. As it turns out, in pretty much all the classic "head-on" pictures of Mew, it's not actually squared-up to the camera, it's turned somewhat sideways. You have to interpret a lot.

I was gonna sculpt it yesterday, but decided to try bouncing out to Mudbox, since I have a free student copy of it. That took a lot of trial and error. I didn't realize at first MB had its scale set to centimeters, wheras I'd modeled in Blender with a meter scale. Also, either Blender and Mudbox have some disagreements on what is a clean set of UVs and what isn't, or Blender's FBX exporter isn't working right. Finally, let it be known to those who had only used Blender sculpt, for Mudbox, your base mesh needs UVs too, not just the retopo'd one. I did get the eyes done though:
Spoiler:
base done.png
(he/him/his)

Felipe Budinich

Postby Felipe Budinich » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:35 pm UTC

J the Ninja wrote:I did have a reference image, but it's hard to find t-position front and side views of Pokemon. When you're doing fan art, you don't always get nice character sketches to work from, you sometimes just have to go with what you can find. As it turns out, in pretty much all the classic "head-on" pictures of Mew, it's not actually squared-up to the camera, it's turned somewhat sideways. You have to interpret a lot.

I know, but that is easily circumvented. When I took Cg classes, there was a guy that specialized in technical drawing and schematics, he aced the arch viz classes, but when we got to character design, he just couldn't draw, so he took some reference images on the internet, and went to see a cartoonist at the equivalent of a "county fair", and asked him to do the T Poses for him. I think he paid something around 5 bucks.

Or if you have some photoshop/gimp skills, you can do it yourself from images found on the net. It's way easier to fix it first in 2D, than to correct the shape on 3D later.

J the Ninja wrote:Finally, let it be known to those who had only used Blender sculpt, for Mudbox, your base mesh needs UVs too, not just the retopo'd one.

I was completely unaware of that mudbox's limitation (I use a combination 3ds max, Zbrush and xNormal to do most of my work)

J the Ninja wrote:Also, either Blender and Mudbox have some disagreements on what is a clean set of UVs and what isn't, or Blender's FBX exporter isn't working right.

As counterintuitive as this may sound, the problem is on Autodesk's side, the 2011 FBX plugin sucks (The previous version works, as far as I know). But keep in mind that it is overkill to use FBX to move meshes around (without animation), as OBJ will do the job perfectly fine (it does keep the UV's and does not turn your mesh into all triangles), you just have to keep in mind that some software packages align the Y axis differently, but it's not something that some rotating around can't fix (or exporter options).

Zakhar

Postby Zakhar » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:09 am UTC

Honestly, i would just recommend staying away from stylized/ cartoon characters. Cartoons may seem "simpler", but they frequently dont translate very well into 3d, and sorta set you up with some bad habits like improper anatomy.

Felipe Budinich

Postby Felipe Budinich » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

Zakhar wrote:Honestly, i would just recommend staying away from stylized/ cartoon characters. Cartoons may seem "simpler", but they frequently dont translate very well into 3d, and sorta set you up with some bad habits like improper anatomy.

May I ask ¿What is proper anatomy? As i see it, there is no difference between Kate Moss, an Iphone, a Fish, a Rock, or a Car. Your opinion reminds me of people at life drawing classes, that just couldn't draw feet or hands. They failed to realize that they were not looking at the subject, and they were just drawing from memory, thus failing at the excercise. A volume is a volume, and all volumes are the same, a volume.

But i do agree that cartoons are harder to pull out.

Share your Eyes

Eyes are an interesting subject, and there are several approaches one can take when creating them.

This is an cel shaded eye I created:

A video that shows how does it behave with a light source, and some camera movements:
http://www.vimeo.com/15913512

and here is the link to download the scene (3ds Max 2011):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1043484/3dsmax/Scenes/cel_shaded_eye_006.max

I used 2 spheres, for the inner one, instead of textures, i used different material IDs for the sclera, iris and pupil, then I turbosmoothed it, and used the material IDs to separate the smoothing groups.

The outer one, has an Ink and Paint material applied, where I'm using it's highlight, but in the paint color map, I used a material to shader map, to put an Arch & Design physical glass material.

So i was wondering, ¿how do you create eyes? Maybe, there is something you do, that no one has thought about, and it would be nice if we shared.

PS: By the way, the eyes I uploaded are not physiologically correct, they where my attemp at creating a "pixar eye", that is "a perfect sphere, everything is accomplished shader side, no modelling". To wrap your mind around the concept think about the eyes in "Cars", F*cking Cars, How Do They Work?

Zakhar

Postby Zakhar » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:36 am UTC

Uh, maybe "proper anatomy" was the wrong phrase. Like.... cartoons force you to make up alot of the information so that you can make a 3d model, or as you put it, "draw from memory". I really dont know about all volumes being the same. In drawing, sure. In 3d? I dunno. Like i sorta see where youre coming from, but an iphone would take significantly less time and would be easier than Kate Moss.

Eyes: Im more interested in game art, so... sphere with a texture on it, lol.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:24 pm UTC

The simple shaded sphere for an eye is alright, but I'd at least like to see the iris inset a little (for realistic eyes, of course, pixar-style eyes get more freedoms).

I really need to practice working with UV textures. I can model pretty well, but there's only so much procedural textures can do.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

Found this great thread over at CGTalk, all kinds of open source content creation tools. If you want some new toys to play with, give it a read. Pretty much all of them are free and cross platform:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=918199

Also, on a related note, LuxRender 0.7.1 is out. Bugfixes and some new shader options.
(he/him/his)

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:47 am UTC

That's a really cool thread. Alchemy is a really interesting program. I can have music playing and it changes, I can make noises and change it, its use of sound is ingenious.

Felipe Budinich

Postby Felipe Budinich » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:36 pm UTC

In case you missed this at boingboing, "The Black Destroyer Illustration Contest

I'm already working on something:
Spoiler:

PS: I've advanced a little:
Spoiler:

PS2: I ended up as the sole runner up for the contest :-D

"Our runner-up selection comes from Felipe Budnich. Felipe’s vision of Coeurl was vibrant and involved, giving not only shape, but a palpable atmosphere to the domain over which the Destroyer presides. His digital painting of Coeurl is our cover illustration for Issue #2 and reproduced in full below (click for larger version)."

http://aescifi.ca/index.php/non-fiction ... st-winners

Return to “Your art and links”