Nanowrimo 2010!

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Nanowrimo 2010!

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:24 pm UTC

So, we're getting close to November and thus this years Nanowrimo.

For those who don't know, nanowrimo is about writing a 50 000-word novel from scratch during November. Dropping silly things like grammar, logic and sense in favour of wordcount and lots and lots of coffee.

After managing to reach the official goal of 50 000 words last year, but failing in my own personal goal of actually managing to finish a story, this year I've decided to aim at simply having fun. I will be writing about superheroes, the devil, life at a helpdesk and an alien invasion. There's also a chance of me throwing in a couple of sentient, hyperintelligent animals and a few visits from various mythological gods.

So, are there anyone else here who're planning on participating?

Last years topic.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

demon-llama

Re: Nanowrimo 2010!

Postby demon-llama » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:19 pm UTC

Oh! Fun! I've tried my hand at writing before, but never have been able to get any momentum going. Maybe a deadline and measureable goal will help push me (and maybe I can stop rewriting the same blasted paragraph).

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:57 pm UTC

I am going to be attempting to actually start this this year. Last year I was just too busy, or at least that's what I told myself. Username on there is the same as here if anyone wants to add me. Hopefully I can get a few ideas up and running before I have to start doing any actual writing.

The most I've ever written as one continuous thing is 13 pages, once for an academic paper (the history of the death penalty in the US, that was a fun one) and a short story revolving around zombies for a Utopia/Dystopia class I was in. So this is going to be a challenge, writing ~10x as much as those papers in a month. Though both of those I did in about 3 days a piece with some prior research.
Last edited by rheakith on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

Already frolicking on the forums! This year, going with a story I originally developed for a PBEMRPG, that somehow mutated and evolved into a full-fledged world. It's going to be a series of short stories and novellas all sort of intertwining... I haven't yet decided if there will be an overarching story arc, as right now it's just sort of different ideas I want to play around with.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

Every year I say I'm going to do it, and every year I forget about until about the tenth of November. I've had an idea kicking around my head since about June that I think I will want to develop into a novel-sized story. I don't quite know what to do with it, but I guess the whole point is to not worry about that and get words on the page, right?
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:29 am UTC

I tried to run NaNoWriNOW a short while ago and had a short-lived success with my own bit of NaNo-style writing. I kinda want to expand upon what I've already created, but at the same time I want to genuinely do the competition. Since what I want to write is an experiment involving characters I'm just playing with right now, I suppose I could share the two between them and see what emerges, perhaps allowing the two novels to intertwine once finished.

(Also, might I suggest #nanowrinow as an IRC channel for random discussion?)
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:22 pm UTC

Because I am a masochistic sonofabitch, I'm running TWO stories this year. TO NaNo's. Simultaneous writin', baby. The scary thing is I think I can do it. I've just passed the 17,000 word mark for a story I've been tooling with THIS MONTH in my spare time without even trying. Can I do 100,000 in a whole month if I put effort into it?

pheonixduprese

Postby pheonixduprese » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:14 pm UTC

I'm doin it! Or at least, I'm trying... :D
Candace wrote: She's like CATNIP for BOYS! She's BOYNIP!

Venn

Postby Venn » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:12 am UTC

FOURTH YEAR.
I'm so glad this thread exists. I was searching like mad for it and I think it deserves a bump.

I have no plot and am diligently trying to extract one out of my mind. Do you guys outline or just wing it? I outlined the year I did my 75,000-word story, but I'm definitely scaling down my ambitions this year. Life is hard. Perfectionism is not helping, either.

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:10 am UTC

I'm going to make an outline up if I ever get the time between work and school in the next few days, which is unlikely. If I don't, I'll just wing it, which probably isn't the best idea for my first time doing it, but we'll see. Even if I don't outline it, I have a few ideas in my head that I could attempt to work around if nothing else, then just see where the inspiration leads me.

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:23 am UTC

I think I'm gonna try this. Could be interesting...
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:39 am UTC

Venn wrote:I have no plot and am diligently trying to extract one out of my mind. Do you guys outline or just wing it? I outlined the year I did my 75,000-word story, but I'm definitely scaling down my ambitions this year. Life is hard. Perfectionism is not helping, either.

I tend to put down a couple ideas on what I want to write about and a few lines on where I want my story to go. Then when I start writing I build on the ideas I've had earlier and try to have the loosely fit with the lines on where my story goes, and then if I get stuck I take one of my other ideas and throw it into the story to build on that for a while until I find a way to tie in what I got stuck on.

they/them/theirs

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:17 am UTC

I'm so in! And I just had an idea that will make my story a lot better, which removed some of the silliness I felt about the idea -- things that were just going to be word filler. SO I AM STOKED YOU GUYS.

Also, hi. I believe this is the first time I've posted in this subforum.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Venn

Postby Venn » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:45 am UTC

It's coming, guys. I have two characters and a setting and a possible source of conflict, but no real plot, so I am trying to manufacture one out of thin air and binder paper right now. I picked up two NaNoWriMo newbies this year I'm supposed to be mentoring and providing wise words of wisdom to them. I will tell them to outline, as I should have done, and plan carefully, as I should do, and write every single day no matter what because once you fall off the bandwagon you fall off forever, as I have never been able to do for any prior NaNoWriMo.

I'm a terrible person.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:08 am UTC

I'm starting mine

now.

"Troubled teenage tearaway Terence T. Tripsworth tried tempestuously tugging Tamara Titterton's tremendously tight teal tights too tightly..."

This is going to be a tough 50,000 word alliterative sentence to contend with.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Pinktits

Postby Pinktits » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:56 pm UTC

Doing it. Had a productive first night.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I'm starting mine

now.

"Troubled teenage tearaway Terence T. Tripsworth tried tempestuously tugging Tamara Titterton's tremendously tight teal tights too tightly..."

This is going to be a tough 50,000 word alliterative sentence to contend with.

With a name like Tamara Titterton, no wonder she's getting off with a loser like Terence.

And as AngrySquirrel posted it and she's super cool and got me to do it last year, I shall definitely join in this year too. I'm going to continue my failed entry from last year. C'MON!
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:44 am UTC

Just started. Had a good session this evening. My main character is not at all how I expected her to be. Neither is the narrator.

EDIT: man, their website is slow.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:05 am UTC

Ugh. Midterm tomorrow, wedding to go to this weekend. Looks like I'll be starting out behind. Awesome.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:45 am UTC

site's running fast enough to use the widgets now. Just announcing that I will be writing again for my third year running, and since my goal is 75k this time, I should actually be able to *finish the damn story.* Already off to a good start, having gotten my first two day's worth of words in the first day. A little wiggle room is good to have.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:27 pm UTC

I still can't get on the site. I have 1901 words though.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:38 pm UTC

I've never written fiction before, save a handful of abandoned short stories. So, naturally I'm trying this. I'm setting my sights a bit lower at 10,000 words. I got 1500 last night, feels like a decent start.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:25 am UTC

The EGE wrote:I've never written fiction before, save a handful of abandoned short stories. So, naturally I'm trying this. I'm setting my sights a bit lower at 10,000 words. I got 1500 last night, feels like a decent start.

This is too low! You can't write a novel in so few words! That's not even a novella! A short story at best!

Come on now...this is NaNoWriMo, not NaShStoWriMo! (although, that sounds like it could be fun too!)

My suggestion: Aim to *finish the novel*. This is a good goal for anyone!

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

Yeah I didn't write yesterday so I'm behind a day now...my story is developing oddly not how I expected it to...and I dunno, it's dull and boring and stupid and I try and introduce excitement and discovery but since the style i started it in and it's been in for 5000+ words now is very much uh...3rd person narrative (did I get that right? no dialog at all but not 1st person although I have plans to switch it to first person eventually, maybe, is that even legal to do? i don't care it might be easier in the long run). Yeah what started as trying to figure out what was in the locked hidden trapdoor in the basement of an old mansion has turned into a wild goose chase down a series of clues for that who knows if it's even linked to the locked hidden trapdoor and I think my character, Lital, is going to discover a cave soon and so I might end up abandoning the door for the cave instead but....wow yeah I really have no clue where it is going.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:58 am UTC

quintopia wrote:
The EGE wrote:I've never written fiction before, save a handful of abandoned short stories. So, naturally I'm trying this. I'm setting my sights a bit lower at 10,000 words. I got 1500 last night, feels like a decent start.

This is too low! You can't write a novel in so few words! That's not even a novella! A short story at best!

Come on now...this is NaNoWriMo, not NaShStoWriMo! (although, that sounds like it could be fun too!)

My suggestion: Aim to *finish the novel*. This is a good goal for anyone!

Alright fine, I'll go for it. First time writing, might as well go for the gusto.

*Puts on Calvin helmet*

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

14,700 words and change already! Go Team XKCD!

Favorite line so far: "What you need is a non-flammable blood expert."

Feel free to /buddy me on the website! Username: elspark
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

3063 so far, with a couple days where I had zero time. Less than 500 words from being the longest thing I've ever written.

starshard0

Postby starshard0 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:10 pm UTC

I won't be participating this year since I'm in Afghanistan, but I'm definitely looking forward to next year!

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:19 am UTC

I forgot it was November. This is a thing I have been fighting with myself about for a while now. Considering I'm basically locking myself in my room for unreasonable periods of time like some kind tortured artist already, I have genuine feelings of guilt for not having created more. So, I have writer's block, or maybe it isn't "writer's block", because when I see people talk about having "writer's block" my thoughts are "that's not writer's block, not having ideas. Writer's block is when you have a bunch of ideas and trying to express them by writing them down makes you want to throw up and you can't stop thinking about how you are not doing it right". I keep starting short stories and then hating them too much to ever look at them again. Then, however, I can think about other things that have actually been published, and I'm forced to conclude it may be possible for me to write something with no redeeming values and still have a positive effect on the average of all human writing. But I still haven't figured out how to just make myself do it. Because even when I sit myself down and think "ok, you're just going to make some awful fanfiction or boring-terrible practice writhing" I still have these anxieties, and self criticisms that will not be reasoned with.

I want to do this, but I will have to learn how to occupy or deaden just the part of my brain I use for criticizing myself. Sleep deprivation used to work, but that lost efficacy somewhere around junior year of college. (sorta ironically, taking a creative writing class seemed to make it much worse, although my complete lack of schedule for anything also makes it hard to be sleep deprived and tell if I am or not).

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

It's called "Locking up your internal editor," and there's a LOT about silencing that mean little booger on the NaNo forums.
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:39 am UTC

Do you have some specific threads in mind? I'm not... finding a lot that is helpful to me.
Spoiler:
I accidentally made it really tiny.
critic.jpg

the file cabinet has my ideas in it.

Also, I have an easier time writing/creating conversationally, even though it still takes me 5 to 10 rewrites to post a damn facebuk wall post.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:18 am UTC

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:48 am UTC

Ughhhhhh so far behind.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

Oh me yarm i am winnar!

...and a good bit less far behind!

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

Yay, grats! I'm about 8300 words from the finish line, and an untold number from the end of the actual story. :?

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

Something about the idea of suppressing the inner editor sounds like mind control cult initiation to me. What if that little editor is actually good?

Allow me to make an analogy. Creative works are like fine farts - they add fragrance, and do not require much, if any cleaning. That inner editor is like whatever muscles or flaps of internal ... stuff ... that controls the opening of the valves. The musical valves which, like a church pipe organ, give sweet, sweet music to the world. The inner editor is responsible for the stops, as it were. Silencing the inner editor, then, is like relaxing too much and out comes pouring - something worse. Something much, much less amusing (to you). Not that there can't be any creative, er, material involved in that, uh, production! But there's, well, let's just say it's a big mess.

And that's the goal of Nanowrimo, I know. To a degree. To poop out a block of creative output, to be later, lovingly sculpted into a statue worth to last five thousand years. But what if my creativity doesn't really work with the same tubes? I don't want poop-sculpture, I want fart-music! And in any case, I like to let out spurts of it every now and then, accumulating bits of material here and there, storing for later, and then unleashing it all in a haphazard symphony. One which passes my inner editor's approval!

Why can't meeting your own high standards be the goal, instead of lowering your standards? If Nanowrimo were a dating guide, it'd be telling me to lower my standards and personally, I don't think that's physically possible. Some may say "Your inner editor will NEVER be satisfied, ha ha!" True, but neither will (say) the drug addicted security guard at a state mental institution. You have your choice - dose him up good, or MURDER HIM. And you people, you choose murder. You're murderers.

Or maybe not. I guess my real problem is that when I metaphorically let go what comes out cannot be constructed at any point into fine sculpture, because it has way too high a liquid content. It's a huge mess, and pruning the bad out of it is the same as mopping it up. Or trying to. I usually give up trying at that point. My stream-of-consciousness writing has great therapeutic value to me, but is not anything remotely like what I want to write a novel on. Investing oneself that much into a work is just asking for trouble, as Sauron could tell you. And, really, you don't want to read it. I don't want to read it. It's like those forced-writing exercises they made us do as a kid, only I stuck with stories in those ones, instead of increasingly deranged analogies rambling into discussion of personal issues like genital warts. Which I totally don't have. I'm just saying.

Truth be told my inner editor doesn't really have high standards at all. Never has, never will. It's probably a dietary thing instead.

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

Right on schedule, just 4000 words away from the finish line.

And I just accidentally found out that the very first line of the novel contains the answers to who the villain is and where it's all heading. :mrgreen:

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:24 am UTC

Jave D: you are a poopy head.

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:38 pm UTC

quintopia wrote:Jave D: you are a poopy head.

Also that. =)

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:23 am UTC

Finished...*dies*

they/them/theirs

Return to “Your art and links”