Art/game/challenge

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

Spots

Art/game/challenge

Postby Spots » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:08 am UTC

After finding a writing site that got my creativity up and running, I wanted to make something similar for drawing. And since a friend of mine always asks for ideas on what to draw, I combined the two.
It's a sort of a drawing challenge, I tell you what to draw and you draw it. Anyway if you like the idea, you can check it out here.
I'd also love to hear ideas for new challenges so feel free to add those. :)
“Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit. We are all the same in this notion: The potential for greatness lives within each of us.” (Wilma Rudolph)

djkjr
Location: All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Re: Art/game/challenge

Postby djkjr » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:29 pm UTC

Draw your favorite song.
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

That is a great suggestion ^.

I'll go for Challenge #6 tonight, even though I can't draw but I got an awesome idea so I'm gonna do it anyway.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Spots

Postby Spots » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

I look forward to seeing it. :)
And don't worry about how it looks, the site is intended for fun, not amazing art. (Although, I'm sure you're underestimating yourself).
“Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit. We are all the same in this notion: The potential for greatness lives within each of us.” (Wilma Rudolph)

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

Haha, really. I'm terrible. I tried making a picture on the computer first but it wasn't working with paint. ( Oh, I wonder why )

Then drawing, but oh god, drawing a human head is just impossible. And I haven't even tried drawing the rest because it'll be impossible.

But I'll try some more times.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

Spots

Postby Spots » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:21 pm UTC

djkjr wrote:Draw your favorite song.

Added, with due credit. Thanks.

Microscopic cog wrote:Haha, really. I'm terrible. I tried making a picture on the computer first but it wasn't working with paint. ( Oh, I wonder why )

Then drawing, but oh god, drawing a human head is just impossible. And I haven't even tried drawing the rest because it'll be impossible.

But I'll try some more times.

I think you did a pretty good job in your avatar, assuming that's yours.

Note: This editing stuff is really getting the better of me today. First, I try to edit and end up quoting myself (not sure how it happened, I must have pressed the wrong button... :? ). Then, instead of editing, I double post. Anyhow, all fixed now.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

I didn't even draw that myself. :(

I can't draw lines.

Edit: I have send it.
Spoiler:

djkjr
Location: All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Postby djkjr » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:51 pm UTC

Spots wrote:
djkjr wrote:Draw your favorite song.

Added, with due credit. Thanks.

Hey, I'm glad you liked it! :)
I took two semesters at an Institue of Art. There were a lot of great "challenges" that were presented to try and work your mind in ways that you were not use to or wouldn't normally do on your own. The way they presented this "challenge" to us was that, you had to animate the song and how it made you feel without using symbolism. I ended up listening to the song I choose over 500 times before I was finished. Each portion of the song had a different color (vocals, guitar, bass, piano, etc..) with explosions of that color when they'd hit a note, dancing from top to bottem dependin gon the volume and impact of the sound.

So far I saw the four oils that were posted with the "challenge" are those representations of the "Challenge 7" or are they to come afterwords? I'd be interested to see what people did.

How many people are involved?
It would be really cool to make this a social art project if that's what you're interested in doing. Maybe something that can be documented to gain interest. Perhaps create a book of the images crafted from the participants. Just a thought.

Right now all my art stuff is in storgae so I can't create much, but I'd be interested to try future challenges :)

Keep in touch! I've been looking for a reason to start up my art again.
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

Spots

Postby Spots » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

djkjr wrote:. The way they presented this "challenge" to us was that, you had to animate the song and how it made you feel without using symbolism. I ended up listening to the song I choose over 500 times before I was finished. Each portion of the song had a different color (vocals, guitar, bass, piano, etc..) with explosions of that color when they'd hit a note, dancing from top to bottem dependin gon the volume and impact of the sound.

That sounds truly complicated. I do understand what you mean and it sounds like it would result in a great picture, but it could be too advanced. I will note it down and perhaps, when there are more artists, repost it as an advanced challenge.

djkjr wrote:So far I saw the four oils that were posted with the "challenge" are those representations of the "Challenge 7" or are they to come afterwords? I'd be interested to see what people did.

The four images are representations of different "stages" of the song Alice of Human Sacrifice. It's a reply form one artist. I always put replies in the same post as the challenge, so that they are easier to find. But, now that you brought it up, I think I'll format the font of the actual challenge so that it's more clear which is which.

djkjr wrote:How many people are involved?

So far only 2 people have sent responses, and one of them is me. :lol: But, I'm waiting for a response from Microscopic cog as well. Hopefuly things will pick up. If not, that's okay, because I made the site because it sounded like fun and for me it still is.

djkjr wrote:It would be really cool to make this a social art project if that's what you're interested in doing. Maybe something that can be documented to gain interest. Perhaps create a book of the images crafted from the participants. Just a thought.

I think that's quite ambitious for now. Maybe someday. Though, I haven't the slightest clue how to deal with so many copyright issues.

djkjr wrote:Right now all my art stuff is in storgae so I can't create much, but I'd be interested to try future challenges :)

I'm looking forward to seeing it. You're welcome to send any ideas, pictures, suggestions etc. The e-mail is in the blog header and you can always reach me here as well.
Edit: I forgot to mention, in case it wasn't clear. You don't have to wait for new challenges. You can send responses to any of the existing ones as well.

Spots

Postby Spots » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

There are new challenges on the site. With everything that's been going on, I wasn't updating it for a while, but I'm trying to stick to a weekly schedule now. It's probably too often, but at least it gives everyone a chance to find something they might like, without having to wait too long.
Here's the link again: http://drawthat.blogspot.com/

Return to “Your art and links”