Album artwork.

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

Hooch

Album artwork.

Postby Hooch » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

I would rather not give too many details away about the music that this covers, but the basic concept behind my Creative Writing (ENG 1310) project was mankind's relationships with nature as Provider (pre-civilization), Tamer (civilization, especially the 20th century onward), and Destroyer (warfare and rampant destruction of natural resources). That Hindu symbol is "Aum." Hopefully, this image can partially reflect on all three relationships -- green for the Provider, blue for the Tamer, red (and somewhat of a fiery state) for the Destroyer.

I'm tired of depending on the "Facebook crowd" for criticism. You guys are much more reliable, which is something that I forgot when I stopped posting here.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Re: Album artwork.

Postby Jacque » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

1) You've got too much negative space that's not doing anything for you. Fill it up with your subject, make it important. Big, full stop. Push it past the boundaries of the composition and suddenly it takes on a much greater importance than a quiet little Aum symbol floating in the middle of your composition.

2) The use of colors to represent different parts of civilization is a good idea, though I think the execution is a bit lacking currently. I think if you're going to go the route of using a fiery texture on the red part you might want to think about using texture for the other two colors as well.

3) Why these particular colors? Are you trying to associate these colors with the pheonmes of Aum (ie a, u, m, relating to the Trimurti, the three stages of life - birth, life, death). Color itself might not be the best way to go about representing the ideas of birth, life, and death as colors are widely open to interpretation. Personally I'd go with white, green, and black respectively. Perhaps more graphic language is required in this case...

I associate the idea of "birth" with creation. And instead of using baby imagery or cells splitting, perhaps I might think to go with stars, nebulas; space stuff. The creation of the heavens and what not. Then on to life - green imagery for sure. Plants, grass, forests, that kid of thing. Death, or the act of destroying: Fire, like you were thinking originally.

(This was just a quick two/three minute exploration sketch. If I was actually assigned this for school work, I might do 10-15 of these sketches on paper first before narrowing down my ideas and deciding to go a certain direction.)

4) The white outer glow / drop shadow, any particular reason? Just an effect to help get the color to show up?

5) Are you tied to the Aum symbol for any reason? Might be some other great ideas that you're passing up. Hell, you could even simplify things and go with a basic triangle as your main graphic shape.

- - -

This has just been diarrhea of the mind, so if it seems rambly, it is.

Hooch

Re: Album artwork.

Postby Hooch » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:11 am UTC

No worries. I'm a tad winded (I've been away from forums for a long time), but I needed this.

1) I plan on eliminating most of the empty space and putting in the rest of the artwork later if that's what you mean. "Work in progress" is a detail that I REALLY should've thought of before I even posted this.

2) Noted. Thank you. I figured that adding the fiery appearance would give foreshadowing to its "destructive" side. I can understand why you'd think otherwise.

3) Reference was made to the Hindu trinity (Brahman, Vishnu, Shiva), and how it bears similarity to how humans have treated the natural world. Green is a "natural" color, red has obviously been held as a passionate color throughout cultures, and blue...just seemed like a "calm" color to me -- perfect for the Tamer. I'll see what I can do with those suggested colors/setups, but I don't know what all I can do with them.

4) Yes, the glow is to get the color to show up. I thought it would have looked lame if I only put colors over plain text.

5) Yes, I am rather dependent on the Aum symbol. In the "Provider" portion of the required essay, I made references to Hinduism/Buddhism, relating it to our tie with nature. Perhaps I could throw a triangle mixed in with the Aum somehow?
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial

Return to “Your art and links”