I require the label for this art, so I can look up more!

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

I require the label for this art, so I can look up more!

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:21 am UTC

So, I'm looking for the label for art that uses only a single tone of each of the main colors it uses. Generally with pureblack being the shading tone.

Example 1: http://i.imgur.com/Cz5iE.jpg

Example 2: http://i.imgur.com/mjYBW.jpg

They're wallpaper sized so I won't embed them here.

With the exception of the hair in example 1, and the eyes in example 2, which have some gradients, all the main colors have only the single tone and all shading is pure black giving it a very stark lightning type effect. Is there any name for this style of art, I would really like to be able to look it up but everyone I've asked so far doesn't know of a specific term for it!

The closest I've got is "Flat color" but searching that label only sometimes gets me images like this and often gets me images that are nothing like it.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: I require the label for this art, so I can look up more!

Postby poxic » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:24 am UTC

There's posterization, of which this could be an extreme example. That's all I can offer.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Ralph Slatton

Postby Ralph Slatton » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:13 pm UTC

I think I understand your terms. Let me make sure. As an example, lets say I wanted to create a painting using a minimal palette of blue. I would use black, white, and blue as my basic tubes of paints. I would combine these in varying amounts to create a full range of blue values, from very light to very dark. I believe the is called monochromatic. In my example, we would call this a blue monochromatic scale. Except for the slight tint of red, my photo below shows basically a monochromatic blue, as seen from my front porch in the Appalachians.

Another example is if we put on rose colored glasses, we would see the world in monochromatic shades of rose.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:58 am UTC

Not so much monochrome as much as monotone. The examples I link have a bunch of colors, just a single tone for each of those colors. Pure black is used as the shading because it's the only way to shade without creating more tones for the other colors.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

ocb

Postby ocb » Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 am UTC

Monochrome
Ralph Slatton wrote:I think I understand your terms. Let me make sure. As an example, lets say I wanted to create a painting using a minimal palette of blue. I would use black, white, and blue as my basic tubes of paints. I would combine these in varying amounts to create a full range of blue values, from very light to very dark. I believe the is called monochromatic.

Yep, monochromatic describes paintings or photographs in one color or shades of one color.

Monotone = A continuing sound unchanging in pitch and without intonation.

Return to “Your art and links”