Photography thread.

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

EvilDuckie

Re: Photography thread.

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:35 am UTC

Another fun event yesterday: the Elf Fantasy Fair in Arcen, The Netherlands. Great location: a castle with elaborate gardens around it. Great weather and lots of fun, happy people. This event covers a very wide range of styles, from goth to medieval to steampunk to furry and everything in between.

I think I'll go to these events more often, they're great fun.
Quack!

selfassembled

Postby selfassembled » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:31 am UTC

I was in Cairo during the anniversary of the revolution. Here are some pictures I took that week, all with a 50mm prime.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81196900@N ... 741170909/

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:41 pm UTC

selfassembled wrote:I was in Cairo during the anniversary of the revolution. Here are some pictures I took that week, all with a 50mm prime.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81196900@N ... 741170909/

Awesome! Like the last one, the guy with the stack of books. Wonder what the story behind that is.
Quack!

selfassembled

Postby selfassembled » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:08 am UTC

He was taking those Arabic books out to be burned because the new Egyptian government is mandating all literature be in English, some pathetic attempt to "modernize".

Kidding of course, he was a worker for the book shop, in the same place those musicians and the clapping mob boss were.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:27 am UTC

Long exposure (30s) of some nearby bridges:
Moerdijkbrug by night by hans905, on Flickr

The green line in the left is a navigation light on a passing ship.
Quack!

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:56 am UTC

So I found a pawn shop unloading their camera gear.

$65.03 after tax for all that!
Now I just need to learn how to use a flash. And the camera attached to it. :)

And they had something I'd never seen before! Autofocus FD mount T80.

Used the 50 to take Image
It looks kind of washed out, even to me, but it's a pale building.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:07 am UTC

Nice find! What lens is that exactly? I've used an old 50mm f1.7 years ago (it used to be my dad's, I've donated it to a friend afterwards) which had kind of a wash-out effect as well. Always wondered whether that's just aging of the glass. A bit of post-processing can easily fix that though (assuming you're shooting digital)

Nationale veldrit - Dames by hans905, on Flickr

More cyclocross last weekend. This is on a steep (40-45 degrees or so) slope covered in loose, deep, sand. Just standing still on it is an achievement, let alone climbing up with a bike on your back and trying to race others at the same time. Much respect to the riders!

Another race coming up on saturday, if the world doesn't end tomorrow of course.
Quack!

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

It's the Mk I 50 f/1.8. They're going on fleabay for a couple hundred but this one isn't in that good of shape, peeling around the focus ring and that sort of thing. People value it a lot over the "nifty fifty" because of the metal mount, but I seriously doubt it has any effect on the light going through it. :)

I'm really fabulously thrilled with the flash, though. (Spoilered because huge kitty is huger than I expected from a fb photo.)
Spoiler:
If I had the brain to figure out white balance this would be a little less amber (bounce flash but the ceiling isn't white).
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:If I had the brain to figure out white balance this would be a little less amber (bounce flash but the ceiling isn't white).

To be honest, I never deal with it. I know I should... If the color balance is way off I just twerk it in the RAW importer.

I've used the nifty fifty on my 350D and 40D and was pleased with the price/quality, but I did upgrade to a Sigma 50mm f1.4 for several reasons (including its larger physical size, the nifty fifty on a 40D with battery grip looks seriously unbalanced...)

Anyway... real cyclocrossers love mud:
GP Rouwmoer 2012 - Women by hans905, on Flickr
Quack!

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:34 am UTC

I got bored on a car ride and took some long exposures. The first two are with the camera sitting on the dashboard; the second was handheld out the passenger-side window.

sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Oooh, that last one is nice. I'd crop it down to about 1/3rd its vertical size though.
Quack!

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:45 am UTC

Participated in a club ride yesterday morning, and I was sort of drafted in as the photographer for the official stuff at the start of the ride (new club and this was the first proper ride). Won't bore you with the static, posed, group shot, but I liked this view as I came down the stairs to go outside:

Getting ready to go by hans905, on Flickr
Quack!

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:04 am UTC

In Berlin for a few days:
Holocaust monument by hans905, on Flickr

Siegessäule by hans905, on Flickr
Quack!

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Another fantasy event today. I thought it was great, but I'm not sure whether my Evil Duckie agrees...
Fatastyval 2013-05 by hans905, on Flickr
Quack!

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Why you no gives me fishes?

This is why Santa Cruz doesn't have penguins

*stretch*

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:09 am UTC

Another visit to the Elf Fantasy Fair (or Elfia as it's called nowadays) last saturday:

ImageElfia 2014 Haarzuilens 010 by hans905, on Flickr

ImageElfia 2014 Haarzuilens 058 by hans905, on Flickr

ImageElfia 2014 Haarzuilens 188 by hans905, on Flickr

That last one may just be the best portrait photo I've done so far.

Full set for those of you who are interested.

I recently upgraded from a Canon 40D to a 7D, mainly for my sports photography but it works out fine for portrait as well I think. Also got a Tamron f2.8 24-70 lens to replace my Canon 17-55 (I found I needed a bit of extra zoom at some times)
Quack!

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:25 am UTC

So I recently added a cheapy P&S to my armory, an Olympus Tough. It's cheap enough that I'm willing to carry it while riding (literally). :)

Last weekend in the Sierra Nevadas (we did 4 passes over two days).

Last February on a dualsport trip to Death valley.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:03 am UTC

Awesome! I would like to recommend trying to take the selfies in such a way (or cropping them afterwards) that your camera isn't visible in a mirror or reflection.

So how do you like that P&S? I'm considering getting one as well to augment the DSLR's I've got. I'll be going on a cycling trip in september and while I have brought a DSLR on previous trips it does add a few pounds to the overall weight I have to haul up some steep hills (in addition to requiring me to wear a backpack on the bike, not the most comfortable thing...). My iPhone takes decent shots but I would like to have something that offers a bit more in terms of photo-settings. Av/Tv would be the minimum...
Quack!

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:12 pm UTC

Experimenting with using microscope lenses on my dslr. This is one bit of core memory:

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

EvilDuckie wrote:Awesome! I would like to recommend trying to take the selfies in such a way (or cropping them afterwards) that your camera isn't visible in a mirror or reflection.

So how do you like that P&S? I'm considering getting one as well to augment the DSLR's I've got. I'll be going on a cycling trip in september and while I have brought a DSLR on previous trips it does add a few pounds to the overall weight I have to haul up some steep hills (in addition to requiring me to wear a backpack on the bike, not the most comfortable thing...). My iPhone takes decent shots but I would like to have something that offers a bit more in terms of photo-settings. Av/Tv would be the minimum...
Thanks. I'm more bothered by the camera in reflections in my visor, but I'm not going to be bothered with photo editing, I'm just too lazy. The shots with it fully in the mirror I liked as a kind of "how it's made" idea.

I'm shockingly happy with the Tough (I think it's a 620). It focuses better than I have ever seen a P&S and the results are very good. I wouldn't put it pixel-to-pixel against my 5D, but it's more than good enough for fb and fora. And it's compact enough to be a camera I can bring vs. a camera in a bag. I read a lot of reviews on waterproof P&S cameras (which was damn hard to do, to be honest), and Olympus' seemed to have the fewest digital artifacts and better colors. Ordinarily I would have gone straight for a Canon but their waterproof one at the time was way more expensive and only a tiny bit better in ratings.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:33 pm UTC

At least according to my viewbug likes and favourites, this is the best photo I have taken to date.

Spoiler:

It's a monkey puzzle tree at Kew Gardens, London, taken with my old D300 (which isn't getting much action these days since I got a micro 4/3 system).

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:42 pm UTC

Cooool.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up i am with this.
- Tomlidich the second

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:46 am UTC

poxic wrote:Cooool.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:20 am UTC

Really cool indeed :D

Last February I sort of backpacked around central Europe with my girlfriend, and here are some pictures I like the most (disclaimer: I'm a total noob as a photographer, this were taken with my first DSLR, bought during said trip. I was learning to use it as I went along)

Budapest
Spoiler:

Bratislava
Spoiler:
This one is my favorite.

Neuchwanstein
Spoiler:

Brno
Spoiler:

Trenčín
Spoiler:

Prague
Spoiler:
I was completly drunk going back to the hostel at 2AM when I took this one. Prague can be really creepy
Now, during the day

Munich
Spoiler:
This is perhaps the best graffiti I've ever seen :P

Vienna
Spoiler:

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:41 pm UTC

Took my new lens out yesterday and took some photographs of downtown Honolulu (full resolution images here):

"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:05 pm UTC

Sweet! So what lens/body are you using?
Quack!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:40 pm UTC

Canon EOS Rebel T4i with a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0L USM lens.

I'd really love a slightly more professional-quality camera to complement the higher quality of the new lens, but that's something I'll have to save up for.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:32 am UTC

So, I recently flew back to the States from the Netherlands and because of some choppy air we got pushed a bit north and ended up flying over the Southern bit of Greenland and got treated to some absolutely incredible views. I didn't see a single road or structure, just mountains, snow, ice, and desolation; it was almost like another world.

I took a few photos:

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:58 am UTC

Ooh, got a wallpaper size of the blue sky one? They're all lovely.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up i am with this.
- Tomlidich the second

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:00 pm UTC

Oh, my. I'd love a wallpaper-sized version of the second photo. Those are gorgeous!

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:00 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Canon EOS Rebel T4i with a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0L USM lens.

I'd really love a slightly more professional-quality camera to complement the higher quality of the new lens, but that's something I'll have to save up for.

Ah, that's the lens I was intending to get earlier this year, but the salesman talked me into the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8. Main reason was the 2.8, as I often do photography in low-light conditions (outdoors, sometimes in the woods, late afternoon in winter) where I prefer not to use a flash. So far it's been serving me well and I don't miss the extra bit of zoom as I have a 70-200 f/4.0 as well.
Quack!

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:02 am UTC

Jacque wrote:So, I recently flew back to the States from the Netherlands and because of some choppy air we got pushed a bit north and ended up flying over the Southern bit of Greenland and got treated to some absolutely incredible views. I didn't see a single road or structure, just mountains, snow, ice, and desolation; it was almost like another world.

Awesome! It looks like you were flying a bit lower than usual, that certainly adds to the views. Greenland is something I always enjoy seeing from the comfort of a plane.
Quack!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:00 pm UTC

EvilDuckie wrote:Ah, that's the lens I was intending to get earlier this year, but the salesman talked me into the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8. Main reason was the 2.8, as I often do photography in low-light conditions (outdoors, sometimes in the woods, late afternoon in winter) where I prefer not to use a flash. So far it's been serving me well and I don't miss the extra bit of zoom as I have a 70-200 f/4.0 as well.

Yeah, I wanted something that I could pretty much carry around anywhere and still get excellent shots with. I had a Tamron 18-270mm, but it because of the ridiculous focal range, it really stretches itself thin at the long focal lengths. I've compared the two in photos I've taken and it even struggles at the Canon lens's maximum focal length.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:19 am UTC

A cyclocross race last week in extremely muddy, and cold, conditions. It had snowed a few days before the race, which then started to melt, turning the course (already known for being a muddy one) and the immediate areas around it into a swamp. Large parts of it were just fluid mud with chunks of ice bobbing around in it.

Azencross 2014 001 by hans905, on Flickr

Azencross 2014 076 by hans905, on Flickr
Quack!

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:06 pm UTC

That first photo is great - really captures the movement and the exertion.

I got a new tripod for Christmas (my old one was so big and heavy I didn't want to carry it anywhere, let alone up a hill) and so here is my first ever attempt at exposure blending.

20141228-_1300629-Edit.jpg

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:50 pm UTC

Nice one! How many different exposures did you use?
Quack!

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:51 pm UTC

EvilDuckie wrote:Nice one! How many different exposures did you use?

Thanks! I took 7 (auto-bracketing), but only used 2 in the end - correctly exposed according to the camera for the foreground and snowy mountains, and 2 stops underexposed for the sky and sunset. The valley and the foreground to the right are a bit of a mix of the two. I imported them as layers into photoshop and set up a layer mask so that I could "paint in" the brighter exposure where I wanted it (I got the technique from a youtube video I watched).

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:05 am UTC

Ah right, I'd like to give that a try myself too. I think I found an interesting spot for it, so that's a good start. Now just have to go out there, take the photos and do the work :D
Quack!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:15 am UTC

I wish I had the time to figure out how to do stuff like that. I usually just throw myself at the mercy of Lightroom.

I haven't actually gone out and taken photos in a while. Here are a few recent ones:

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:39 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I wish I had the time to figure out how to do stuff like that. I usually just throw myself at the mercy of Lightroom.

I haven't actually gone out and taken photos in a while. Here are a few recent ones:

Great shots, particularly the first one - I like the straight lines coupled with the warm colours.

It doesn't actually take that long to do exposure blending, from deciding "I want to try exposure blending" to having the finished photo probably took me 90 minutes to hike up the hill and take the shots, then 45 minutes to do the post-processing following some instructions I googled. 95% of the post processing was done in Lightroom, it was just the blending that was in Photoshop (although it could be done in GIMP almost as easily). The one unavoidable requirement is that you absolutely need to use a tripod when taking the shots.

Return to “Your art and links”