Photography thread.

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Re: Photography thread.

Postby MotorToad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:55 pm UTC

I really need to get into editing. I hate doing it, and my computer is old and shitty so it asks patience of me that I've not been able to give. I succumbed to temptation on cyber Monday, though, and got a 6D with a big ass-printer so if I don't get into doing that I'm going to be quite the money-parted fool. The Canon software so far has been clunky and confusing, and the greatest feature, wi-fi, so far has managed to upload 13 of the thousand (literally) pictures I've tried to upload to the computer. (After it disconnects I just take the card out the old-fashioned way.)

I haven't shot anything I'm even remotely proud of, but I'll look for a picture I can at least share. The menus and features are many and I'm far from understanding how to drive the camera. Up till this I've had a 20D, 30D, and 5D and those are all basically the same in-camera software.

Here's my friend fixing his motorcycle (almost) all by himself!
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:42 pm UTC

That is a picture of someone saying "do NOT take that picture".
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

A man who is ‘ill-adjusted’ to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:07 pm UTC

Well, the new camera is working towards making me happy. I'm still considering the possibility that I'd be better off with a used 1D IV, though. For some reason it's hard for me to rationalize my poor decisions...
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:43 pm UTC

So this Xmas I got some photography equipment, namely some lights, tripods, and a light shed with various backgrounds, and I tried my hand at my most challenging subject - my jungle carpet python Tindalos. I've photographed him before, but capturing the true intensity of his yellows has always proved elusive. These are definitely a step in the right direction, but still aren't quite yellow enough - the alligator skull he's on should be slightly yellowed rather than pure white, for instance. I think I'll try again when he's done shedding and eating later this week.

"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

speising

Postby speising » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:01 pm UTC

nice, fwiw the skull *is* quite yellow for me, not white. what's that horror in the jar in the linked photos?

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:10 pm UTC

Gooseneck barnacles are the Harvard museum. Odd that the skull is so different on your screen to mine.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:47 pm UTC

Mokele wrote:So this Xmas I got some photography equipment, namely some lights, tripods, and a light shed with various backgrounds, and I tried my hand at my most challenging subject - my jungle carpet python Tindalos. I've photographed him before, but capturing the true intensity of his yellows has always proved elusive. These are definitely a step in the right direction, but still aren't quite yellow enough - the alligator skull he's on should be slightly yellowed rather than pure white, for instance. I think I'll try again when he's done shedding and eating later this week.

Nice shots! It must be fun to have such a great subject living with you.

On the colour stuff, as long as you're shooting in RAW I find colour stuff to be more usually a post-processing issue rather than an in-camera one.

First of all - have you calibrated your monitor? If not I'm afraid there's very little point in fine colour adjustments - you can get it looking right on your monitor, but it won't look right on anyone else's monitor, and it won't look right when printed. If you know other photographers, or are part of a photography club you can borrow one, otherwise you will need to buy a monitor calibrator - I use this one. I resisted getting one for a while, because it seemed like an extravagant expense, but it really is necessary if you want to do accurate colour work.

Secondly, are you most interested in "true to life" colours, or do you just want it to be visually pleasing? If you want true-to-life colour the best way is to get yourself a neutral gray card and use it to set a custom white balance for your lighting set-up. If you just want something which looks good you can get away with adjusting the white balance by hand afterwards.

Finally - what do use for post-processing? Personally I think you can't do better than lightroom + photoshop*, but if that isn't in your budget or worth the money for you there's GIMP for editing, which does everything that most people need (personally I can't get over the lack of adjustment layers in GIMP, but that's me being spoiled by photoshop) and the camera manufacturers usually provide good software for RAW conversion to owners of their cameras.

*In fact these programs are the only reason I still have a windows box.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:53 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:Nice shots! It must be fun to have such a great subject living with you.

Thanks! They're great animals, quite active and alert. Unfortunately, that activity makes it hard to get them to sit still; I didn't even get any good, whole-body shots of Carcosa (Tindalos' future mate) because she refused to sit still for even a second. Tindalos, on the other hand, still has the youthful nippy attitude of his species (he'll calm down eventually), so while he would hold still, it was only because he was glaring viciously at me; there was a literal cost in blood to get these photos.

Quercus wrote:First of all - have you calibrated your monitor? If not I'm afraid there's very little point in fine colour adjustments - you can get it looking right on your monitor, but it won't look right on anyone else's monitor, and it won't look right when printed. If you know other photographers, or are part of a photography club you can borrow one, otherwise you will need to buy a monitor calibrator - I use this one. I resisted getting one for a while, because it seemed like an extravagant expense, but it really is necessary if you want to do accurate colour work.

Wow, I did not know that. I sort of just assumed that monitors were calibrated at the factory and stayed that way. Thanks for the head's up!

Is there a cheaper, "manual" way to do this? Like holding up the grey card while manually adjusting the monitor?

Quercus wrote:Secondly, are you most interested in "true to life" colours, or do you just want it to be visually pleasing? If you want true-to-life colour the best way is to get yourself a neutral gray card and use it to set a custom white balance for your lighting set-up. If you just want something which looks good you can get away with adjusting the white balance by hand afterwards.

Thanks! I was trying a crude replicate of that by using the slightly-off-white gator skull on the black background, so that the gator skull would "warn" me if I was over- or under-saturating in yellows.

I'm mostly interested in true-to-life colors, partially just out of desire for accuracy, but also for marketing the future Tindalos x Carcosa offspring. Jungle carpet pythons have been selectively bred (including frequent integrades with related sub-species) to intensify and "clean up" the black and yellow they have in the wild. Being able to accurately represent how amazing these two are in person via the internet may give me an advantage in selling their offspring over the more common ad structure of "here's a crappy iPhone shot, but they look better in person!" (as well as being a more honest and genuine portrayal). Plus, the babies are always just light & dark brown, and only reach adult coloration around 2 years old, so decisions are pretty much made on the basis on photos of the sire & dam and bloodlines.

Given that these photos will be viewed by people with un-calibrated monitors, do you think it would still be a good idea to keep the gator skull + black background theme, as a way to give people with uncalibrated monitors a way to judge how the color is distorted?

Quercus wrote:Finally - what do use for post-processing? Personally I think you can't do better than lightroom + photoshop*, but if that isn't in your budget or worth the money for you there's GIMP for editing, which does everything that most people need (personally I can't get over the lack of adjustment layers in GIMP, but that's me being spoiled by photoshop) and the camera manufacturers usually provide good software for RAW conversion to owners of their cameras.

I actually use Corel Photopaint, largely because it's what I learned on, but it can handle RAW and has a bewildering array of color adjustment and image processing methods.

Thanks for the advice; I'm making a concerted effort to try to build up my photography skills, bit by bit, as I can afford to.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:00 pm UTC

I recommend following this link http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ to get a decent manual calibration for your monitor. While you can't know how miscalibrated your viewers' screens will be, it's best to start at a reasonable point.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:01 pm UTC

speising wrote:I recommend following this link http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ to get a decent manual calibration for your monitor. While you can't know how miscalibrated your viewers' screens will be, it's best to start at a reasonable point.

Awesome, thanks!

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:37 am UTC

Buy brand new camera, shoot this with phone, cry.

Unrelated, other than I found this while saving that image. I found a badge buried in the street a couple houses from my apt., thought it looked pretty neat. Image

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:12 am UTC

Went to Brussels, just for an afternoon, a few days ago. Poked around downtown for a bit with a friend, then we went to the Atomium:
Atomium by hans905, on Flickr

Also spotted some nice typography at Brussels-Central train station:
Typography by hans905, on Flickr
Quack!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:39 am UTC

Hanauma Bay, Hawaii

"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat May 16, 2015 4:59 pm UTC

Woke up at 5:30am this morning and couldn't get to back sleep - so I grabbed my camera and wondered around taking photos for about an hour. These were the result:

20150516-_1300973.jpg

20150516-_1300966.jpg

I'm loving having a tripod that's easy to carry around - it makes low light levels so much easier to work with.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat May 23, 2015 7:05 am UTC

Oooh, nice ones. Low light/long exposure is one of things I'd like to try out more.

Speaking of trying out, I decided that I want to get into studio photography, so I've gotten myself a starter kit (couple of flashes, softboxes and background) and have done a few shoots with friends to get my bearings. So far I've been getting promising results (and the shoots themselves are a lot of fun to do). These are all from a shoot I did with Anne last sunday.

Hair! by hans905, on Flickr

Anne by hans905, on Flickr

Bouncing globe by hans905, on Flickr

Had a bit of trouble with the flashes. I have one transmitter/receiver (radio signal) that triggers the main flash, then the others (I have two more) are set to slave, which means they'll flash when they detect a flash. But the room we were using is south-facing, couldn't really be darkened and on a sunny afternoon that means there isn't always enough contrast between the ambient light and the flash to actually trigger the slaves. I think next time I'll set up the black cloth backdrop that came with the starter set to cover as much of the windows as possible while using the replacement paper backdrop for the shoots. I had used the cloth one on the first shoot that I did and quickly realized that using that would mean ironing it before every shoot...
Quack!

measure

Postby measure » Thu May 28, 2015 3:01 pm UTC

These are some of my older ones--I haven't had a camera around recently.
Spoiler:
One of the cats on our farm in Iowa.
Flying into Las Vegas
The lake at Cedarville University in Ohio.

Spoiler:
Trees with ice.
More trees.
Trees with fog.

Spoiler:
Sunrise.
Sunset.
Another sunset.

Spoiler:
Another sunrise with trees.
Morning.
Dusk.

Spoiler:
Winter day.

EDIT: Link if img's are not working: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Last edited by measure on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu May 28, 2015 3:35 pm UTC

Here is one my 6 year-old son took last fall when we had a dusting of snow.

Linked because the photo was too large to fit in the post.
download/file.php?id=46903

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu May 28, 2015 4:00 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Here is one my 6 year-old son took last fall when we had a dusting of snow.

Linked because the photo was too large to fit in the post.
download/file.php?id=46903

Wow, that's a nice shot for a 6 year old - that kid of yours has potential. Assuming he stays interested in photography make sure you get him a camera with manual controls at some point, so that he can develop the technical side of it as well.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu May 28, 2015 4:04 pm UTC

We have a Canon Rebel T3 that he can have when he gets older. By then I am sure we'll have upgraded.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:00 am UTC

measure wrote:These are some of my older ones--I haven't had a camera around recently.

Your links aren't working. First and foremost, I don't think the IMG tags work unless your URL contains a image filetype (i.e. .jpg, .png, .gif, etc.). Second, I'm getting a 403 error when I try to open the link in a new tab.

In other news, I went on a hike yesterday:

Bright and sunny down by the beach, but we got some nice orographic lift producing some clouds at the ridge.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

measure

Postby measure » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:08 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
measure wrote:These are some of my older ones--I haven't had a camera around recently.

Your links aren't working. First and foremost, I don't think the IMG tags work unless your URL contains a image filetype (i.e. .jpg, .png, .gif, etc.). Second, I'm getting a 403 error when I try to open the link in a new tab.

Interesting... it's working for me. Try this maybe?

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:34 pm UTC

Here is one I took two years ago with my phone that Facebook reminded me of today.

image.jpg

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:02 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:Here is one I took two years ago with my phone that Facebook reminded me of today.

Oooh nice one! I like how you got a full frontal display from him.

Here's some of my latest studio photography efforts:
Anne by hans905, on Flickr
(there's some jpg artifacting going on in the background with the smaller versions that Flickr generates by itself, that's not present in the full-size one)

Laura by hans905, on Flickr

Anne and Laura by hans905, on Flickr
Quack!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:53 am UTC

Went on a hike on Saturday and captured this really cool mushroom in the forest:

Probably went a bit overboard with the Iris Blur in Photoshop.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:02 am UTC

I found a Nikon lens cap on the retaining wall at Laguna Seca a couple years ago. I finally had to go get a holder for it. (I've hated using Canon lens caps, but they're finally coming around to making ones you can reach.)

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:55 am UTC

My fav shots from 2015
Attachments
2015 photos.jpg
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

Rkit

Postby Rkit » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:40 pm UTC

Photographs are looking really cool. I am a food photographer and new to this forum.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:54 am UTC

I'm back (maybe). A couple photos from Alaska:

image on flickr

image on flickr

Just a reminder, there is an xkcd group on flickr.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:47 pm UTC

Noice. Of course, it's hard to take a bad picture in AK.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

A man who is ‘ill-adjusted’ to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:13 am UTC

Thanks! (You'd be surprised though).

Went for a hike in Chugach to plan for shooting video soon. Here are a couple photos:

ImageChugach Park Hike by F117Landers, on Flickr

Edit: These are with my cell phone. Didn't want to bust up my D3000 just yet.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:53 pm UTC

So I finally processed all my photos from Iceland. Took about 60 GB worth over 10 days. Amazing scenery, lovely people, dang I want to live there, ha! Would go back, A++. My album of all the shots are here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsky4edWh

A few favs...
ImageAurora Borealis in Reykjavík 04 by Amy Hinkle, on Flickr

ImageKrýsuvík & Seltún by Amy Hinkle, on Flickr

ImageIcelandic Pony 02 by Amy Hinkle, on Flickr

ImageBeth on top the Volcano by Amy Hinkle, on Flickr

ImageAurora Borealis near Myvatn 02 by Amy Hinkle, on Flickr

ImageSunset over Mývatn by Amy Hinkle, on Flickr

ImageAmy & Beth at Hverarond by Amy Hinkle, on Flickr

ImageIce Cave at Fláajökull by Amy Hinkle, on Flickr

ImageJökulsárlón Ice 02 by Amy Hinkle, on Flickr

ImageSharon at Fláajökull by Amy Hinkle, on Flickr

ImageHáalda Panoramic by Amy Hinkle, on Flickr

ImageVolcanic Fields by Amy Hinkle, on Flickr
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:39 am UTC

Those are really nice; I'm quite jealous.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:27 am UTC

Olympus OM10, Olympus AF1, Nikon F55, Olympus Stylus SP-820UZ

So many photographs lost to time, including a beautiful one of York Minster's Rose window ...

Spoiler:
Newton-on-Ouse church: Image

Derwent Water and Keswick, looking north from Ashness (as in Ashness Bridge): Image

Gorse in flower: Image

A rock: Image

Same waterfall, same minute, min and max shutter speeds of the Nikon F55: Image

Stormclouds and sunbeams, Austria: Image

German village: Image

Parts of the Stubaital and Oberbergtal: Image

Weather doing its Alpine thing: Image Image

Chapel in the mist: Image

Temperature inversion: Image Image

Halo: Image

Vertigo: Image Image

The woods are lovely, dark and deep: Image

Dawn at Sa Pa: Image

Friendly little cafe, HCMC: Image (no messing around with colour involved)

Sunset reflecting in Arkle Beck: Image

Glacial incidentals at night: Image Image

Ingleton viaduct at night: Image

The River Doe at night (one way to force a long exposure time): Image

Picnic spot under the River Twiss: Image

Long exposure times smooth out reflections: Image

Zoom demo: same place, same minute, zoomed all the way in then zoomed all the way out:
Image Image

Janet's Foss: Image

Lago Argentino: Image Image

Cloud formation: Image

Rufous-collared sparrow: Image Image

House martin: Image

Hawk: Image

Southern thrush: Image

Giucon: Image

Wren-like little bird: Image

Grey fox: Image

Brown hare: Image

Sparkly bug: Image

Patagonia: Image Image Image Image Image Image

Red, white and blue: Image

Sunrise: Image

Detail of iceberg: Image

Reflected sky: Image

Valle Frances reflected in Lago Skottsberg:

Persepolis: Image

Arg Rayen: Image

Zoroastrian burial site, Yazd: Image

Flowers, Darband: Image

Carved figure, throne, Golestan Palace: Image

Dragonfly (common darter, I think): Image

Abyaneh valley: Image Image Image

Riot of colour: Image

Same rock as shown earlier: Image

A gate, just a gate: Image

Child with kite, dry riverbed, Esfahan: Image

Anti-echo room for music: Image

A photo of a local woman taking a photo of a Western man taking a photo of a local woman: Image

Close-up of a rose on a very sunny day: Image

Photobombed: Image

That rock again, photographed from the dry riverbed mentioned earlier: Image

Sunset with air pollution: Image

Under the bridge: Image

Romantic image of the day: Image

Church: Image

Iranian ladieswear: Image Image Image

Shahpouri pavillion and garden: Image Image

Tomb of the poet: Image Image

Necropolis: Image

Lone crocus flower, Persepolis: Image

Abstracted detail of a mihrab: Image

Another pavillion and garden: Image Image

Quiet spot for a cup of tea: Image

Not-quite-silhouettes: Image

Lamp, teahouse: Image

Caravanserai self-portrait: Image

Zoroastrian fire temple: Image

Sunset: Image

Tehran, from the north: Image
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat May 07, 2016 6:48 am UTC

Sungura wrote:So I finally processed all my photos from Iceland. Took about 60 GB worth over 10 days. Amazing scenery, lovely people, dang I want to live there, ha! Would go back, A++.

Those are awesome! I need to go to Iceland :wink:
Quack!

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat May 07, 2016 10:42 am UTC

The first rose of summer, about eight weeks after the wind did for the last rose of summer:

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat May 07, 2016 10:46 am UTC

Spotted from the bridge:

P5071392.JPG

P5071404.JPG

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat May 07, 2016 11:35 am UTC

Spotted this little one trying to be invisible, too. Daddy was around, bringing food.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun May 08, 2016 4:32 pm UTC

Spotted an apple tree ... or a cherry tree, maybe ... in flower today so I treid to get some interesting abstract winds. Every time I lined up a shot, the wind came up.

I'm getting better, though. I've only thrown away about half the pictures I took.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Spotted this on the way back:

For anyone who wants a custom jigsaw puzzle:
Image Image

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Fri May 20, 2016 5:40 am UTC

I bought a new camera! But I've replaced this one already. :)
IMG_8194.JPG

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:33 pm UTC

Went for a 17km walk, starting and finishing in Masham, Wensleydale.

Return to “Your art and links”