Photography thread.

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

F117Landers

Re: Photography thread.

Postby F117Landers » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:05 am UTC

Does it make you nervous sitting over an edge?

Edit: Went to Kamakura the other day. Buddha Statue was closed, but managed to take a few other fun shots along the way:

Spoiler:
DSC_0968 by F117Landers, on Flickr

adho

Postby adho » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:52 am UTC

F117Landers wrote:Does it make you nervous sitting over an edge?

Surprisingly, no. I'm scarily relaxed about things like that, to the point where when I thought about it later, I freaked out.

I must admit I had to look up where Kamakura was specifically, but I have a very, very similar photo I took in Kyoto.
As an areligious, aspiritual person, those mountain shrines affected me pretty heavily. Still not sure why, but I want to go back there.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:44 am UTC

Took my friend's pup out this afternoon and snapped a couple. I liked this one but I'm wondering something in the grand scale of things. Since I am limited to viewing and editing photos on what remains of my laptop, htgdf do I set exposure levels on pictures I post when the apparent exposure changes with the angle I view the screen?
[mp] Soggy Bottom Bitch.JPG
At the angle I use the computer this is perfectly shot, I'm really happy with it, but I've been told it's overexposed by critics. :-|

Les Edites: I'll quantify my n00bness by mentioning that I'm fairly happy with my progress in shooting because picasa's "I feel lucky" makes only very subtle changes to my pictures. :)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:48 am UTC

Try judging your exposure based on brightness histograms, not the appearance of the image - the represent the actual brightness values regardless of how the photo is displayed.

For the future, avoiding cheap TN panels in your displays is the way to go.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:14 pm UTC

Hey folks! I'm hoping you can do me a bit of a favour... =)

Please help me get published in National Geographic! My shot of cave pearls was an Editor's Pick and now voting starts. Top rated gets published in National Geographic!!!

1. Please note there is no direct link to vote only my shot.
2. You have to rate all shots until you reach till my shot.
3. This one is My Shot (dont use this link to vote, just to see it so you know which it is!) http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/mysho ... d/1397417/
4. To vote please click this link (mine is in Week 5 of June, which is default when you click the link I believe) http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/your- ... ng-machine
5. Rate the photos on scale of 1-10, 10 being best, until my shot comes up. I'd of course like a rating of 10 from you on my shot =)

Thanks! :D
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:38 pm UTC

I don't like your bunny avatar, so I'm going to upvote all the others. :P

Edit: Holy shit, where's that cave? I lived in BHam for a while but mostly spent my time motorcycling. I'd never heard of caves in the area.
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

Bham is a little south of most the caves. Up towards Gurley/Scottsborro and draw a line from there up through Sewanee and Chatanooga in TN and it's prettymuch the highest density of caves in the US. The cave I took that photo at was actually in Kentucky though, in the backdoor to Mammoth (not anywhere near the tours). No frets, most people live in this area their entire life and have no clue caves are here, the National Speleological Society headquarters is here, etc LOL =)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:13 pm UTC

Voted (though some of the other photos I had to click through were very good as well). Good luck, hope you win.
Quack!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:07 pm UTC

Yeah there are a few that I doubt I will beat, but thanks for helping! =) I think there is also an "editors choice" that comes out of the top 30 or so, and last I checked, mine was like 14th overall. So even if I dont win by vote maybe I'll luck out somehow still.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

Yes, a lot of those were really good. I also doled out a few well-earned "2"s. How did pictures from zoos get mixed in with that?

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:54 pm UTC

Yeah I have no clue....perhaps there was a lack of shots submitted that day and since they always pick 12 "daily dozen" they had to?

It's really separated out right now. I definitly haven't won, the happy-duck (week 2, a few photos in) is way ahead of anyone else with a 7-something average. Cute but I'm not sure it should be beating some like the closeup octopus, huge storm front with lightning, and some other amazing shots. The expression of the duckling is pretty adorable though. There are then a handful of 6.somethings, and a couple high 5.somethings. 360 photos total (12 per day, 30 days in June) mine looks like it ended in 17th. So...not too shabby fr 17/360 shots! :D Thanks for the votes and I know some publishers do troll (in the good sense!) these NG pages (I have gotten some shots published in the UK from just photos I have in my album on the NG website is where they found me) so who knows. And hey, maybe I'll luck out and be Editor's Choice. =)

If you want to check out some amazing cave and adventure photography, look up Robbie Shone. He actually got published last month I think it was a shot of Alum Pot but I could be missremembering the name. Totally the Ansel Adams of cave and adventure photography.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

Thanks everyone who voted for me for Nat Geo. I ended up 16th out of 360 shots for June. While I wont get "viewers choice" that still puts me in the running for "editors choice" so I guess I'll find out soon enough =) Most of the shots that placed above me, even I think deserve to be there. A few I look at and go "wtf someone took a zoo snapshot?" LOL but most them are pretty badass so kudos to them!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:59 pm UTC

Surprise Pit.
Deepest pit in Alabama it's in-cave. Over 400ft deep. This is about the third photo taken that successfully lit the whole pit, and this first from this point (the other two I've seen set up on boulders farther up). Friend and fellow vertical caver helped me with the lighting. While he was climbing, he used his small 3000 lumen LED light to lightpaint where I directed him via radio. This is also what helped me get the texture detail in the rock since I could control the angle of the light source as well as cut through all the steam/mist/cloudyness as this pit is so large it has 3-4 levels of separate weather systems that produce a lot of fog and cloudyness. I took this shot with my small point-and-shoot camera set up on a tiny 6" tripod. All in all, the kit weighed less than 3 pounds and cost about $200 (including his 3000 lumen light in that) and it all fits in the size of your hands cupped together. I wanted a unique angle, effectively cut through the fog, and highlight the sculpted rock and the color tones in it.
Surprise Pit by Sunguramy [Amy Hinkle], on Flickr

Here is one by Stephen Alvarez, another amazing photographer.
And awesome video for how he did his image for NatGeo http://video.nationalgeographic.com/vid ... e-pit-btp/
And another shot by Alvarez that really shows some of the weather systems:

And another shot, from William Hunt whom actually I am not really aware of much of his work other than this shot

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:46 am UTC

^ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow.

Sorry, I was a little drunk. I think I was trying to convey the notion that your picture and the surrounding circumstances are very impressive. :)

Talk

Postby Talk » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:57 am UTC

Inspired by the poem Antigonish.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:28 am UTC

I'm finally starting to take some realistic HDR shots. This one is of a bridge that carries a commuter rail line over the Charles River, west of Boston.

Full size: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... _River.JPG
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:55 am UTC

*right-click save-as*

Thanks for the new desktop! Where should I send the royalties?
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

The intellect of man is forced to choose / Perfection of the life, or of the work,
And if it take the second must refuse / A heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
- William Butler Yeats, writer, Nobel laureate (13 Jun 1865-1939)

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

It's released under a Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike license! So, uh, buy yourself a cup of coffee or something instead?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:47 pm UTC

A regulation I can totally comply with.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

The intellect of man is forced to choose / Perfection of the life, or of the work,
And if it take the second must refuse / A heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
- William Butler Yeats, writer, Nobel laureate (13 Jun 1865-1939)

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:08 am UTC

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/20/cano ... ible-leak/

I'm pretty stoked by this. It's a really poor picture, but apparently Canon has learned how to make lens caps! :)

sourlemon

Postby sourlemon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:57 am UTC

Edit: Went to Kamakura the other day. Buddha Statue was closed, but managed to take a few other fun shots along the way:

Spoiler:
DSC_0968 by F117Landers, on Flickr

haha, I love the driver/puller's expression. awesome shot.

sourlemon

Postby sourlemon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:01 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Image

WOW! that sounds like a lot of work, but totally worth it. the pictures look great.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm UTC

Spoilered for lots of comments; I have been absent for a little.

Spoiler:
adho wrote:

Surprisingly, no. I'm scarily relaxed about things like that, to the point where when I thought about it later, I freaked out.

I must admit I had to look up where Kamakura was specifically, but I have a very, very similar photo I took in Kyoto.
As an areligious, aspiritual person, those mountain shrines affected me pretty heavily. Still not sure why, but I want to go back there.

Could be worse, some people get the urge to jump. The shrines here are nice too. Thinking of going to photograph some more. And hit up Bhudda Statue Before it closes.

Sungura wrote:Surprise Pit.

Crazy how such a large amount of space can be formed from the movement of water. Great photographs!

poxic wrote:A regulation I can totally comply with.

I second this.

sourlemon wrote:haha, I love the driver/puller's expression. awesome shot.
Danke. It was a surprise, I was with a buddy, and we had stopped to eat on the way to a temple when these carts come barreling through.

Edit: I forgot that I picked up a new DSLR, the NEX-VG-20. Built mainly for video, but also does full frame photos.
Spoiler:
New Camera by F117Landers, on Flickr

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:43 am UTC

So I spent the afternoon with a 5D Mk III. All afternoon. (And a 50 1.4 USM.) It makes my 30D seem toylike and dainty.

One weird thing, though. This is my first time with a manual override focus lens and I never got it to do what I wanted. I don't know if I was just hammy on the button but it kept taking shots while I was trying to hold the button half way to keep it from focusing automatically. Then it'd focus as I was turning the ring. I wasn't able to fish though all the menus so there might be something in one of the FIVE *autofocus* menus that I had set wrong, but I've no idea. (Hrm, might have been four pages of autofocus menus, but still, that's a lot of menus for one aspect of the camera.)

Undisnonirregardlessly, the MotorToad5D fund is now taking donations.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:42 am UTC

@Motortoad: congrats on getting to use the 5D. I hear they're awesome pieces of kit.

As for myself, I'm still on a 40D, but recently treated myself to a better telezoom: the Canon 70-200 f4 IS USM. Used it a bit yesterday, but hopefully will have more chance to put it through its paces in the next few weeks (road cycling event next weekend, Redhead Day in September).

Yesterday I went to a Gothic festival, my first time at such an event. I had a blast. Nice weather, nice people, relaxed atmosphere.

Summer Darkness 2012 by hans905, on Flickr
(my Evil Duckie appears to be a Goth Girl Magnet)

(this little girl was standing opposite to me at the catwalk for a Cybergoth fashion show, I thought she was adorable)

Quack!

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:03 pm UTC

EvilDuckie wrote:Yesterday I went to a Gothic festival, my first time at such an event. I had a blast. Nice weather, nice people, relaxed atmosphere.

Looks like a lot of fun. How do you find out about events such as this?

Also, does anyone still use the xkcd page on flickr?

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:22 pm UTC

F117Landers wrote:Looks like a lot of fun. How do you find out about events such as this?

I first heard about it a few years ago, when it was mentioned in the paper (afterwards...). I wanted to go last year, but the weather was a bit iffy and I had just had shoulder surgery a few weeks before. I simply wasn't able to lift my camera to my face for extended amounts of time, nor was I able to get to the event other than by public transit (which, with a bad shoulder, is not my favourite way of travelling, taking the bus to work was bad enough already).

So this year the stars aligned and I was able to go, and had a great time.
Quack!

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:14 pm UTC

So here's some of what I've been up to lately:

Hash Bash (click through the images to view larger)
Spoiler:

India (again, click through the images to view larger)
Spoiler:

There's a bunch more photos from India that I've yet to publish. Went to Northern Michigan last month and I'll start publishing those photos slowly soon. Also just got back from Florida over the weekend and should have my film developed from that soonish.

With those recent trips and what was left in my "to publish queue" (quite a few from India) I should be pretty set with new work to post to the internet for the next coming months.

F117Landers wrote:Also, does anyone still use the xkcd page on flickr?

Yup, obv. Not too many of us though.

m4d4sb34ns

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:46 pm UTC

Just got myself a Canon 600D - these are a few test-shots I took before taking it on holiday to Switzerland:

Tried to include the images with the img tag, but for some reason it didn't work - here's a link instead. Monty

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:17 pm UTC

I have a videography question but in search I can't find a videography thread....mods if you think this should be split do so but I thought for now I'd just ask here since it's kinda all related...

So, I've started to play with the video capabilities of my little p&s camera. There isn't any manual control for it but just for some of these rappels wanted to get some video shots. I have been using Adobe Premier to edit and finally started getting the hang of the program but I'm wondering a few things:

1) Image quality when I put images into it are very poor. The first video I did, they were crisp. So I'm not sure what I did different?
2) Struggling with what export settings to use to get a decently high quality without waiting hours for a 7min video to process?

I'm shooting in HD(16:9 Aspect Ratio): 1280x720 pixels 24fps (I think this is the best the camera does) but in export it doesn't look at all that smooth as what I'd expect HD video to look like...so I'm confused. Help? =)

Here is my latest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 4Yan5Ws80c

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:59 pm UTC

Spoilered for length

Spoiler:
EvilDuckie wrote:I first heard about it a few years ago, when it was mentioned in the paper (afterwards...). I wanted to go last year, but the weather was a bit iffy and I had just had shoulder surgery a few weeks before. I simply wasn't able to lift my camera to my face for extended amounts of time, nor was I able to get to the event other than by public transit (which, with a bad shoulder, is not my favourite way of travelling, taking the bus to work was bad enough already).

So this year the stars aligned and I was able to go, and had a great time.

-Shame to hear about last year; The photos look fantastic and the event seems to be quite enjoyable.

Jacque wrote:With those recent trips and what was left in my "to publish queue" (quite a few from India) I should be pretty set with new work to post to the internet for the next coming months.

-Again, the photos from India are amazing. Was it a pain to transport the film?

m4d4sb34ns wrote:Just got myself a Canon 600D - these are a few test-shots I took before taking it on holiday to Switzerland:

Tried to include the images with the img tag, but for some reason it didn't work - here's a link instead. Monty

-Had to look the model up; turns out that it's known as the T3I in the US and the Kiss X5 in Japan. How does it handle?

Sungura wrote:I have a videography question but in search I can't find a videography thread....mods if you think this should be split do so but I thought for now I'd just ask here since it's kinda all related...

So, I've started to play with the video capabilities of my little p&s camera. There isn't any manual control for it but just for some of these rappels wanted to get some video shots. I have been using Adobe Premier to edit and finally started getting the hang of the program but I'm wondering a few things:

1) Image quality when I put images into it are very poor. The first video I did, they were crisp. So I'm not sure what I did different?
2) Struggling with what export settings to use to get a decently high quality without waiting hours for a 7min video to process?

I'm shooting in HD(16:9 Aspect Ratio): 1280x720 pixels 24fps (I think this is the best the camera does) but in export it doesn't look at all that smooth as what I'd expect HD video to look like...so I'm confused. Help? =)

Here is my latest:

-I'm quite surprised that there isn't a cinematography thread already. It seems like it would have some interested parties.
-For the photo settings, it appears that there is a maximum resolution that the photos should be, and that they are scaled to meet that. It could be the issue. [http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851]
-I normally have a while to wait for video processing as well, but a faster processor and GPU normally speed things up. How is your rig looking?
-The smoothness issues that I saw seemed to be from rolling shutter and some minor clipping (probably from youtube). The rolling shutter is common among single lens recorders (even DSLR's such as the Canon 5D Mk III).

Also, it looks like a lot of fun to go rappelling. Is this whitesides cliff face a common area for this?

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

F117Landers wrote:
Jacque wrote:With those recent trips and what was left in my "to publish queue" (quite a few from India) I should be pretty set with new work to post to the internet for the next coming months.

-Again, the photos from India are amazing. Was it a pain to transport the film?

Yeah.

First problem is the language barrier, hard to explain that it's film and shouldn't be x-rayed. Once or twice is usually fine – I had some fast film (ISO 3200) that shouldn't be x-rayed at all – but x-raying has a cumulative effect and we had more than a hand full of flights (to India, within India, and back to the states). Plus, a number of the hotels also have x-ray machines that you need to put your baggage through to enter. Luckily we had my mother-in-law (and father-in-law) to do the native-lanuage talking for us, which helped a lot. Still got x-rayed a few times – ruining the Delta 3200 outright – but it all turned out fine in the end (minus the 3200).

Second problem is was explaining what medium format film was, as most of these security folk don't see film very often, and if they do it's just 35mm stuff. Funny how a few years of digital photography and suddenly no one remembers film.

Thirdly, there's no where easily accessible to buy medium format film so gotta carry all that I'd shoot from the outset, which can add a lot of bulk. Like this guy, an entire suitcase just for his film (looks to be about $3,300 worth of film there!)!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:30 pm UTC

F117Landers wrote:
Sungura wrote:I have a videography question but in search I can't find a videography thread....mods if you think this should be split do so but I thought for now I'd just ask here since it's kinda all related...

Here is my latest:

-I'm quite surprised that there isn't a cinematography thread already. It seems like it would have some interested parties.
-For the photo settings, it appears that there is a maximum resolution that the photos should be, and that they are scaled to meet that. It could be the issue. [http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851]
-I normally have a while to wait for video processing as well, but a faster processor and GPU normally speed things up. How is your rig looking?
-The smoothness issues that I saw seemed to be from rolling shutter and some minor clipping (probably from youtube). The rolling shutter is common among single lens recorders (even DSLR's such as the Canon 5D Mk III).

Also, it looks like a lot of fun to go rappelling. Is this whitesides cliff face a common area for this?

Okay so pre-scaling the photos will clear that up sounds like, I'll do that next time.

Video processing doesnt take that long actually, there was one default setting that wanted to take 2 hours, so I picked a different one. I think it took about 25 min to process the 7 minutes with 2 passes and clicking "maximum resolution" and no compression...that doesn't seem that bad to me.

The smoothness isues...you mean like frame to frame or how the whole thing looks "pixally"? to me a lot of it doesn't look like very good resolution, but I did look at my camera settings and if I'm not on the 16:9 ratio it *doesnt* shoot hd, and I was on the 4:3 so maybe that's why (oopsie on me...I didn't realize it would change if I changed the ratio).

Whitesides is advanced - we are on a long rope rappel team that trains regularly. But yes, among long rope rappellers it is a common place to go. =) The progression is more like... Tree - Obstical courses in trees - short 50ft cliff - small pit caves (100ft or so) - larger pits (200ft or so) and larger cliffs - 400/500ft stuff - learn long rope techniques and get more gear for working with long rope - weighted rappels on 200ish foot stuff (similates the massive rope weight under you at larger drops, figure 10 pounds per 100ft, which you have to manage basically one-handed) - Whitesides (700ft) - other long rope with additional training as needed (Bridge Day, ~800ft....Golondrinas, ~1200ft...all the way up to El Capitan, a vertical half mile!) There are fewer people who have ever done the SRT loop at El Cap than who climb Mt Everest each year, to give an idea of how few in the world have ever done a full ElCap rappel. Right now I"m working on Golondrinas training for december when our team goes. I dont have desire to do ElCap at least this time around, I'll go as team support though. Heights dont bother me, views dont bother me, I just went vertical to cave. So after this training for the deep single-pitch stuff like in Mexico (aka Golondrinas is the big one there) I'm going to start working on even more technical stuff, my goal is to eventually bottom the deepest cave in the world, a complex multi-drop system and a whole different bag of tricks than long rope work.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:19 am UTC

Jacque wrote:
F117Landers wrote:Again, the photos from India are amazing. Was it a pain to transport the film?

Yeah.

First problem is the language barrier, hard to explain that it's film and shouldn't be x-rayed. Once or twice is usually fine – I had some fast film (ISO 3200) that shouldn't be x-rayed at all – but x-raying has a cumulative effect and we had more than a hand full of flights (to India, within India, and back to the states). Plus, a number of the hotels also have x-ray machines that you need to put your baggage through to enter. Luckily we had my mother-in-law (and father-in-law) to do the native-lanuage talking for us, which helped a lot. Still got x-rayed a few times – ruining the Delta 3200 outright – but it all turned out fine in the end (minus the 3200).

I hadn't thought of that. Is the film expensive (such as the ISO 3200) to purchase or develop? I can't imagine that you would be able to tell if it was ruined without developing it.

Sungura wrote:The smoothness isues...you mean like frame to frame or how the whole thing looks "pixally"? to me a lot of it doesn't look like very good resolution, but I did look at my camera settings and if I'm not on the 16:9 ratio it *doesnt* shoot hd, and I was on the 4:3 so maybe that's why (oopsie on me...I didn't realize it would change if I changed the ratio).

I think that they have it set up for tv broadcast standards.This would mean that 4:3 is most likely resolution of 704x480 pixels, and would be at 24 hertz. 16:9 would probably be 1280x720 pixels then.

Sungura wrote:Whitesides is advanced - we are on a long rope rappel team that trains regularly. But yes, among long rope rappellers it is a common place to go. =) The progression is more like... Tree - Obstical courses in trees - short 50ft cliff - small pit caves (100ft or so) - larger pits (200ft or so) and larger cliffs - 400/500ft stuff - learn long rope techniques and get more gear for working with long rope - weighted rappels on 200ish foot stuff (similates the massive rope weight under you at larger drops, figure 10 pounds per 100ft, which you have to manage basically one-handed) - Whitesides (700ft) - other long rope with additional training as needed (Bridge Day, ~800ft....Golondrinas, ~1200ft...all the way up to El Capitan, a vertical half mile!) There are fewer people who have ever done the SRT loop at El Cap than who climb Mt Everest each year, to give an idea of how few in the world have ever done a full ElCap rappel. Right now I"m working on Golondrinas training for december when our team goes. I dont have desire to do ElCap at least this time around, I'll go as team support though. Heights dont bother me, views dont bother me, I just went vertical to cave. So after this training for the deep single-pitch stuff like in Mexico (aka Golondrinas is the big one there) I'm going to start working on even more technical stuff, my goal is to eventually bottom the deepest cave in the world, a complex multi-drop system and a whole different bag of tricks than long rope work.

That sounds like a lot of fun, but also a lot of work. Will you be filming the descent?

Edit: Have a photo to share:
Spoiler:
Ember by F117Landers, on Flickr

Edit 2: There is now a cinematography Thread - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=88995

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:47 pm UTC

F117Landers wrote:
Jacque wrote:
F117Landers wrote:Again, the photos from India are amazing. Was it a pain to transport the film?

Yeah.

I hadn't thought of that. Is the film expensive (such as the ISO 3200) to purchase or develop? I can't imagine that you would be able to tell if it was ruined without developing it.

The film I get is usually $4-5/roll, and development is in the neighborhood of $5/roll, unless I decide to develop it myself then the price can be much lower depending on the quantity I'm developing.

The Delta 3200 is sensitive enough that even the less intense x-ray machines will damage it (all manner of wacky streaky patterns). The general rule is that anything below ISO 800 is fine to x-ray a time or two (through the security checkpoint machines at least, the checked-baggage x-ray machines are much more powerful and will ruin any film that goes through em). But the TSA folk will generally say "oh, it's fine" to all the film because they hardly ever see anything beyond the normal 100-200 ISO stuff, and sometimes because they don't want the hassle of hand-checking it.

The worst thing ever is taking a great photo on a trip and then finding out the x-ray machine ruined it after you've gotten home.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:48 am UTC

F117Landers wrote:-Shame to hear about last year; The photos look fantastic and the event seems to be quite enjoyable.

Thanks. And yes, it was a very enjoyable event. If you have something similar close to where you live, I highly recommend checking it out. Got another local event coming up next weekend: Redhead Day. Been going to that one for the past 3 years and that's a lot of fun too:

2011 Redhead Day by hans905, on Flickr

Just hope the weather will be good. Today is very windy and rainy :cry:

And some photos from a cycling event 2 weeks ago. This was a good one, they managed to contract both Marianne Vos (Olymic gold medalist on the women's road race) and Alexander Vinokourov (ditto on the men's road race)

Profcriterium Etten-Leur (women) by hans905, on Flickr

Marianne Vos by hans905, on Flickr

Alexander Vinokourov by hans905, on Flickr

Laurens ten Dam (after the finish) by hans905, on Flickr
(did this one in b/w because the woman in the background had a very brightly colored dress, cropping her out would have made the shot too tight imho)

All the cycling photos are with my new Canon 70-200 f4 lens, I love it :)
Quack!

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:00 am UTC

And it was Redhead Day again:
2012 Redhead Day by hans905, on Flickr

Great fun, as usual.
Quack!

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:51 am UTC

IMG_3896.JPG

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

F117Landers wrote:Will you be filming the descent?

Spoiler:

Went and posted it in the cinematography thread, yes I did.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:10 am UTC

Sungura wrote:
F117Landers wrote:Will you be filming the descent?

Spoiler:

Went and posted it in the cinematography thread, yes I did.

Finally replied, I did; Took me long enough.

Odd that my image is no longer showing. Here is another:

Surprised by J.R. Landers Photography, on Flickr

Return to “Your art and links”