So, I just wrote a novella!

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

So, I just wrote a novella!

Postby Elvish Pillager » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:32 am UTC

Actually, that's a lie. I wrote it about half a year ago, but kept getting delayed from publishing it, for one reason or another. And now, I've put it on my website! You can read it with in-context trigger warnings, or without them.

Its title is "Not What I Am", which is subtly mysterious! And, some people I trust have told me it's very good, so I am forced to conclude that it is, and that you should read it! :P
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Re: So, I just wrote a novella!

Postby Zeroignite » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:33 am UTC

^ officially endorsed by Zeroignite.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:33 am UTC

I liked it.

Spoilered for maybe spoiler?
Spoiler:
The ending was a great twist. ( Even though I wouldn't have minded a happy ending because I liked the characters )
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

bobbeathome

Postby bobbeathome » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:01 pm UTC

Hi! I read this and was deeply absorbed -- would read more about these characters for sure. I just have a couple of questions about the ending:
Spoiler:
Is the 'twist' that Chloe was an unreliable narrator, actually hurting those around her carelessly throughout the story? Or are her friends misinterpreting her somewhat misguided actions with Rose? Or is the whole thing intended to be that morally ambiguous? If the answer is 'it's supposed to be ambiguous, don't kill the frog' that's ok.

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:27 pm UTC

bobbeathome wrote:Hi! I read this and was deeply absorbed -- would read more about these characters for sure. I just have a couple of questions about the ending:
Spoiler:
Is the 'twist' that Chloe was an unreliable narrator, actually hurting those around her carelessly throughout the story? Or are her friends misinterpreting her somewhat misguided actions with Rose? Or is the whole thing intended to be that morally ambiguous? If the answer is 'it's supposed to be ambiguous, don't kill the frog' that's ok.

I'm glad you liked it! If you'd like to be informed of more stories I post in the future, consider subscribing on my website - it's quite straightforward, and you can sign up to be notified only when I post a new story, if you like.

Responses to your questions under the spoiler:
Spoiler:
Well, I'm only the author; your interpretation is as good as mine. For what it's worth, here's what I think:

Chloe is a somewhat unreliable narrator; she doesn't say anything *factually* incorrect, but she doesn't understand everything that happens around her, and so you get a slightly distorted view. Rose also isn't good at communicating her feelings. So Chloe's actions do hurt Rose a lot, but you also couldn't have expected Chloe to realize that on her own. Whether that's "morally ambiguous" depends on what your sense of morality is.

Personally, I think the solution is to teach people about enthusiastic consent (which Rose clearly does NOT give, even as Chloe tells it).
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

Return to “Your art and links”