Bill Gates regrets

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Bill Gates regrets

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:54 am UTC

(Not entirely sure this subforum best fits this. Had toyed with two or three other places, including Religious Wars if I added a poll!) [I think RW is best... poll not necessary -phlip]

When I first saw mention that "Bill Gates regrets inventing Ctrl-Alt-Delete, wishes he had made it a single key-press", not on that link, the summary of his statement made it look to me like it meant several things that were clearly wrong and crazy.

Do you think he was actually right to appropriate the historic Ctrl-Alt-Del firmware interrupt for his OS-level interrupt, or should he have vehemently requested yet another key on increasingly non-standard keyboards besides the Windows-flag key(s) and the Windows-menu one, just one inadvertent mis-tap away?

There are other things he regrets, I'm sure, in his design-time philosophy. And that Steve Jobs, Linus Torvalds and others regretted, in theirs. I'm sure there's space here to discuss those too, if I haven't missed another thread doing exactly this thing already.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Re: Bill Gates regrets

Postby Thesh » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:02 pm UTC

He doesn't regret making insecure software, making our the entire business world depend on it, and sabotaging standards, thereby costing our economy trillions over the years in higher expenses on security software, breaches, compatibility workarounds, and upgrade costs, while also lowering consumer choice?
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:12 am UTC

If the so-called firmware interrupt was just a reboot, it's hardly missed. Had it taken you into a menu, it might be a different story.

Also, this way we can blame Gates for 'Loss'.

ericgrau

Postby ericgrau » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:39 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Do you think he was actually right to appropriate the historic Ctrl-Alt-Del firmware interrupt for his OS-level interrupt, or should he have vehemently requested yet another key on increasingly non-standard keyboards besides the Windows-flag key(s) and the Windows-menu one, just one inadvertent mis-tap away?

The windows key used to interrupt my games and make me die. So I solved it by prying it off of my keyboard. I think later I googled how to disable the key. I think there was a similar issue in AutoCAD with F1 lagging it out for about 5 minutes while it opened the help menu. Popped it off at work. Then again our work computers were pretty slow, so that could be why.

There's a windows menu key? <tap> Huh, there it is. I've probably noticed it before and forgotten about it about 40 times. Why is it not easier to right click again?

Thesh wrote:He doesn't regret making insecure software, making our the entire business world depend on it, and sabotaging standards, thereby costing our economy trillions over the years in higher expenses on security software, breaches, compatibility workarounds, and upgrade costs, while also lowering consumer choice?

Yeah pretty much. Notepad still has major bugs. Notepad. Because they can.

Standards are supposed to be a power of Congress. When a private corporation sets them that's not supposed to be called copyright, it's called seizing government powers to gain a monopoly.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:26 am UTC

ericgrau wrote:I think there was a similar issue in AutoCAD with F1 lagging it out for about 5 minutes while it opened the help menu.
That''s a wider problem. Every machine where I've mistyped F1 on (because I really haven't intentionally used it very much at all, ever) has then gone through a sickeningly long process of opening up the context-sensitive help handler (and usually, but not always, delivering an at-least-half relevent jump-off page, unaware that I'm Alt-F4ing it as soon as it actually becomes responsive to the attempt).

Which makes me torn. Would I actually rather that the overhead to any F1able program be added, in the form of loading-lag, into its initial opening (or context-transition points during use)? If it were, an unwanted F1 (or, for those that feel they need it, the actually requested help) pops up instantly so that it can be closed (or read!) just as instantly.

Far more arguable is that the "menu key/right-click menu" should be instant, by dint of having the (very much more limited) data always at hand. And yet on a non-quick system one gets the feeling that the windowing subsystem is hunting through the entire registry to search for all programs associated with the opening or handling or Send-Toing, etc, of a file/folder object. This information should at least be refreshed into immediate memory at the same time as the (often distressingly slow, but pre-requisite to appearing as a right-clickable object, thus the logical moment) icon resolving part of the "display in file explorer/surrogate dialogue" bit. But enough of trifles. Maybe they improved on this, but I just never noticed it stopped being so awkward, in amongst all the other stuff.

ericgrau

Postby ericgrau » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:43 pm UTC

Sounds like the solution for you is to likewise disable the F1 and use the help menu. Because you actually need help infrequently enough for a menu to to be worth the effort. If you really need a key for context driven help, make it an obnoxious key combination that software maps to F1. It's worth the effort since you rarely use it anyway.

There is no programming excuse for the obscene loading times for any of this btw, besides laziness. No it doesn't need to make startup even slower. There's background loading while you continue to work uninterrupted. And barely efficient code should be able to load plain text in milliseconds. Nope, you and other users are waiting and wasting cumulative thousands of hours of productivity because the coders were lazy and/or their managers wouldn't approve a few minutes to make the function work well. I say minutes and not even an hour because once you code it once you can re-use it, and per implementation it comes to minutes... which comes back to Microsoft. That's a Windows help file format they're loading. Windows probably did this already and every software maker's manager said "It's already made? Well no way am I approving time for that. Call windows help program and done. Go on to next step, we have deadlines to meet." Meanwhile Windows help is incredibly slow. I don't blame Microsoft for this one though. You know "fool me once, shame on you, etc." After 20 years of MS fail write your own dang help routines one time and recycle them in all your software.

I've been doing a lot of coding to make things faster lately. Not only do I speed things up with shortcuts and simultaneity tricks, I also write programs that identify, respond to and work around bugs in other software in an instant. I'm 1 programmer. You better believe it would have been much easier for a team of programmers to fix and/or auto-correct the bug inside their own software. But nah, they don't wanna.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:10 pm UTC

ericgrau wrote:Why is it not easier to right click again?

I sometimes switch into keyboard-only mode for some tasks and the menu key can be really handy on those occasions. "Menu key, down five times, enter" can be much faster than doing the same with a mouse, especially if your hands are on the keyboard to begin with.
"It's like he's his own alt account. Saves all the logging in and out."/poxic
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Return to “Religious Wars”