Which Religious War is the most important

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Which Religious War is the most IMPORTANT and MEANINGFUL and YOU GUYS THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS

Mac vs. PC
7%
Nintendo vs. Sega
2%
C vs. C++
5%
Windows vs. Linux
9%
Linux vs. BSD
3%
Xbox vs. Playstation
1%
Star Trek vs. Star Wars
6%
ST:TOS vs. ST:TNG
1%
Kirk vs. Picard
3%
QWERTY vs. DVORAK
5%
Vi vs. Emacs
13%
Wayland vs. Mir
1%
Nvidia vs. AMD
1%
x86 vs. ARM
5%
Android vs. iOS
4%
Java vs. C#
1%
GNOME vs. KDE
1%
Firefox vs. Chrome
4%
Google vs. Bing
1%
Ninjas vs. Pirates
No votes
Python 2 vs. Python 3
4%
Math vs. Physics
6%
Octopi vs. Octopuses
7%
This one
10%
None of above/other, please specify
4%

Total votes: 192

Neil_Boekend

Re: Which Religious War is the most important

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:11 am UTC

Whether the Makers made the Chosen realm in 9 or 10 days.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mousewiz

Postby mousewiz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

Windows vs Linux and Star Wars > Star Trek were my clear picks.
I debated between the emacs > vi option and 'other' for #3, but settled on 'other'.

I went with 'other' because I never want to hear 'char' pronounced like 'charred remains' ever again. Genocide against those people. I can tolerate 'car', but I would prefer those people add an 'e' to the end of their pronunciations.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:36 pm UTC

So you eschew two pronunciations that have at least a modicum of sense for one that has none?

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:04 am UTC

Xenomortis wrote:So you eschew two pronunciations that have at least a modicum of sense for one that has none?

mousewiz is exactly correct. "char" is short for "character". The first four letters of "character" are pronounced identically to "care", and therefore the only acceptable pronunciation for "char" is "care". The only exception might be if you're British, and then only if "character" is pronounced "car-acter" rather than "care-acter" in a British accent (I don't know if this is the case).

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:50 am UTC

Trufax: I can't pronounce "character" as though the first syllable was "care" without sounding like I'm doing a massively overwrought and probably offensive stereotype of a New York accent. I just can't do it.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:37 am UTC

When I try it, I usually come off as sounding like someone with a Californian accent. There is only one way to pronounce char and that is in a pirate accent like k'arrr!
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:12 am UTC

scarecrovv wrote:mousewiz is exactly correct. "char" is short for "character". The first four letters of "character" are pronounced identically to "care", and therefore the only acceptable pronunciation for "char" is "care". The only exception might be if you're British, and then only if "character" is pronounced "car-acter" rather than "care-acter" in a British accent (I don't know if this is the case).

There is no accent I know of that would make the first syllable of "character" match "care".
Maybe there's some extreme American accent I'm not familiar with.

For instance, the first syllable of "character" is pronounced "kah" by almost every single person I know.
Maybe someone a little over the top on their accent might make it "car", but that would be very unusual.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:35 am UTC

I'm not a native speaker so my intuition might not be worth a lot, but to me it seems that the 'r' in "character" is actually part of the second syllable: cah-rack-ter.

That said, I pronounce "char" as in "charred" because that makes most sense when you read it as a standalone word.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:I'm not a native speaker so my intuition might not be worth a lot, but to me it seems that the 'r' in "character" is actually part of the second syllable: cah-rack-ter.

That's a common feature of non-rhotic accents.

[he/him/his]

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:58 pm UTC

I pronounce it "care"acter, as does everyone I know. I was born and raised in Utah and moved to New Hampshire when I was 16 (now 31). I have never heard it "car"acter. That just sounds weird.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:59 pm UTC

Sleep that knits up the raveled sleave of char,
The death of each day’s life, sore labor’s bath[...]

—Macbeth; act 2, scene 2
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:25 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
Jplus wrote:I'm not a native speaker so my intuition might not be worth a lot, but to me it seems that the 'r' in "character" is actually part of the second syllable: cah-rack-ter.

FWIW: I've spent most of my life in the West Country and still know nobody that puts the r in the first syllable.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:51 pm UTC

phlip wrote:

No, based on what I read on Wikipedia the feature of non-rhotic accents appears to be that they pronounce the [r] at all. Which seems to be true of everyone posting here (except that linking R/intrusive R is only about word endings, so it isn't really relevant).

What appears to be different between me and most others here (excluding Xenomortis) is that I consider that [r] to be part of the second syllable (cah-rack-ter), not the first (care-ack-ter).
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu May 01, 2014 4:15 am UTC

Non-rhotic accents won't pronounce an R that appears after the vowel in a syllable... "Linking R" is a thing where if you have an R at the end of a syllable, but the next syllable doesn't have any consonants before the vowel, instead of the R being dropped, it moves into the next syllable. So, for instance, if I say the word "bear" alone, I don't pronounce the R, but if I say "bear invasion", I do pronounce the R, but as part of the "in-" syllable, so it's closer to "bear rin-va-sion". It's subtle, but it's definitely how those word-sounds come out of my mouth-parts.

The same thing happens within the word, in "character"... a rhotic accent will split it "char-ac-ter", a non-rhotic accent will split it "char-ac-ter", while a non-rhotic accent with linking R will split it "cha-rac-ter".

[he/him/his]

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Thu May 01, 2014 7:27 am UTC

Alright. I do pronounce syllable-final [r], though. Like, in "bear" and "car", I do have a distinctive r at the end.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Nyktos

Postby Nyktos » Thu May 01, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

The first syllable of "character" sounds like "care" in my accent, but pronouncing the C data type like just sounds bizarre. I had a prof who did that and it grated on my ears. "Char" is a real English word; it may not have much to do with the type in C, but "character" is a pretty poor name for an eight-bit integer type too. (Though I guess there are languages like Java which have an actual character type called "char"...)

mousewiz

Postby mousewiz » Thu May 01, 2014 3:58 pm UTC

Nyktos wrote:The first syllable of "character" sounds like "care" in my accent, but pronouncing the C data type like just sounds bizarre. I had a prof who did that and it grated on my ears. "Char" is a real English word; it may not have much to do with the type in C, but "character" is a pretty poor name for an eight-bit integer type too. (Though I guess there are languages like Java which have an actual character type called "char"...)

Fortunately, char isn't an 8-bit integer type, so I will continue to pronounce it 'care'.

Nyktos

Postby Nyktos » Thu May 01, 2014 4:29 pm UTC

mousewiz wrote:Fortunately, char isn't an 8-bit integer type, so I will continue to pronounce it 'care'.
That's true; the standard doesn't require it to be eight bits. It's still an integer type, though, and wholly unsuitable for storing characters.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat May 03, 2014 3:13 pm UTC

Judging from the past n replies (I'll leave the , the pronunciation of char is clearly the most important religious war. :roll:

Also, my 2 cents: I haven't seen the 'phonetic' spelling of char as ker (or kɛr or kær) previously. Or is cah/kah above supposed to be pronounced like that? Either way, care is too long or too much of a diphthong in most dialects to be a valid pronunciation of char (unless you really pronounce it that way, but then you're invalid yourself).
3rd cent: I and everyone in my environment pronounce it as the char in charcoal because of reasons and tradition. But if I'm to defend the position, I'd go with the fact that a char is yet another arbitrary integer type and holds a character in only a handful of cases.

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:03 am UTC

troyp wrote:
Jplus wrote:BBEdit/TextWrangler easily beats them. Admittedly that software has been around for quite long as well, but some of the killer features have been added relatively recently.

snortrofl...BBEdit? Okay, I'm not a Mac user, so I haven't used it, but...BBEdit?? A proprietary editor that works on a single (proprietary) flavour of unix? Yeah, that has a future. Still, it must be great for scripting, because it has almost twenty user-created extensions!

I used TextWrangler with great joy before I learned anything about the command line.

Now, I'd go with Vim every time.

Still, for a decently computer-literate Mac user who's not going to code anything, TextWrangler is at least far far better than TextEdit.
There's no such thing as a funny sig.

Return to “Religious Wars”