Tesla
91%
Edison
9%

Total votes: 55

dimitriye98

Tesla vs. Edison

Postby dimitriye98 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:55 am UTC

What it says on the title, who was the greater inventor, Nikola Tesla, or Thomas Edison?

BTW, some websites, namely the Edison Tech Center's, have been claiming that the Westinghouse power plant designed in part by Nikola Tesla was not the first. This claim is partially true, but calling the small, experimental powerhouses that existed prior power plants is like calling the research fusion reactors of today the same.
Join nomic. It's awesome and fun.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Re: Tesla vs. Edison

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:41 am UTC

Spoiler:

Did Edison invent anything that fucking awesome?
No?
Didn't think so!

Rokkerboyy

Postby Rokkerboyy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:Did Edison invent anything that fucking awesome?
No?
Didn't think so!

Compare Tesla's few hundred patents vs Edison's thousands and you don't think that at least one of said thousands are that cool? Even as we enjoy things such as recorded music and video?

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

Rokkerboyy wrote:
No?
Didn't think so!

Compare Tesla's few hundred patents vs Edison's thousands and you don't think that at least one of said thousands are that cool? Even as we enjoy things such as recorded music and video?

What does the number of patents filed under Edison's name have to do with how good of an inventor Edison was?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ1Mz7kGVf0
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

Came to post that.

I remember reading that Edison was a meticulous experimentalist, while Tesla was a 'straight to the point' inventor. There's room for both, and the fact that Edison was ALSO a savvy businessman and fairly... unscrupulous... scientist means he came out on top in the short run. I think it goes without saying their competition drove Tesla, but it sure would have been interesting seeing what homeboy would have come up with had they worked together.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:47 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:but it sure would have been interesting seeing what homeboy would have come up with had they worked together.

Tesla did work for Edison earlier.

Rhombic

Postby Rhombic » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

Edison was a simple salesman; in fact, most of his invents were focused on the commercial aims, rather than the technology itself.
My vote goes for Tesla.
Tesla coil forever.

Rhombic

Postby Rhombic » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

Edison was a simple salesman; in fact, most of his invents were focused on the commercial aims, rather than the technology itself.
My vote goes for Tesla.
Tesla coil forever.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:42 am UTC

Rokkerboyy wrote:
No?
Didn't think so!

Just like how McDonald's has more restaurants worldwide than any restaurant that has ever won a Michelin Star.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:39 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
Rokkerboyy wrote:
No?
Didn't think so!

Just like how McDonald's has more restaurants worldwide than any restaurant that has ever won a Michelin Star.

Note that by the ISO9000 definition of "quality", all of McDonald's have higher "quality" than those with the Michelin Stars. Also considering that the whole point of having a patent is to prevent your competitors from innovating, 1000 simple patents are likely more effective than 100 non-obvious patents.

As far as how great those patents were, remember the Tesla claim that Marconni needed "17 Tesla patents" to transmit his radio signal. Just how complicated is a radio that there are 17 things to patent? (of course, everything that uses AC power is going to use several "off the shelf" patents, but still). Tesla's claim to fame was getting AC electricity to work. Since Westinghouse was aware of the idea (he bought the patents for a transformer in 1885, Tesla didn't create his AC system until 1887. The superiority of AC rests in that transformers can step up and step down the voltage, allowing for efficient transmission.) Tesla coils look awesome, but do everything the wrong way for communications (they are so noisy that they pretty much prevent anyone else from communicating). Tesla may have Edison beat in religious wars, but only because Edison was mostly a crook and a scam artist. Tesla was mostly a crank who got one thing very right (actually, plenty of his early radio stuff looks good. It just wasn't solving anything that anyone wanted solved).

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:49 pm UTC

It depends on how you define greater inventor...

If you're asking who had the more brilliant mind and came up with the most truly innovative ideas, then my vote is for Tesla without any doubt. The guy had some amazing ideas. He also had some bat-shit crazy ideas, but those don't detract from the amazing ones.

If you're asking who was better at actually making things that people needed, then it's obviously Edison. Sure, he stole a lot of what he made; but he was the guy who made it all happen on a large scale.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:58 pm UTC

cphite wrote:It depends on how you define greater inventor...

If you're asking who had the more brilliant mind and came up with the most truly innovative ideas, then my vote is for Tesla without any doubt. The guy had some amazing ideas. He also had some bat-shit crazy ideas, but those don't detract from the amazing ones.

If you're asking who was better at actually making things that people needed, then it's obviously Edison. Sure, he stole a lot of what he made; but he was the guy who made it all happen on a large scale.

Sounds like you're a fan of Steve Jobs. :/
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:50 pm UTC

There are some similarities between Jobs and Edison:
Great business-oriented vison, can be credited for making exciting new tech commonplace, liked to overstate their creative genius, ham-fisted in their offensive use of patents.
LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single unified theme, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:27 pm UTC

Iranon wrote:" liked to overstate their creative genius"

I am curiously unaware of of Job's creative genius. Edison seems to have invented the research laboratory and nothing else.
From what I've heard of Jobs is that he knew a hit device when he saw one* (and could keep such a device in the lab until it was a hit). This is probably more valuable in a company full of creative types, but isn't the same thing.

*Wozniak mentioned that their partnership officially started after Jobs suggested "we should sell this" after seeing something Woz made.

Jolnanis

Postby Jolnanis » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:09 am UTC

Glad to read I'm not the only one drawing parallels between Edison and Jobs.

Great for them if they were good businesmen, but it saddens me when the public think they were technological geniuses given one "demonstated" the dangers of AC by electrocuting an elephant with higher amplitudes than the ones proposed by Tesla, and the other was but a glorified marketer.

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:58 am UTC

cphite wrote:It depends on how you define greater inventor...

If you're asking who had the more brilliant mind and came up with the most truly innovative ideas, then my vote is for Tesla without any doubt. ...

If you're asking who was better at actually making things that people needed, then it's obviously Edison. ...

This pretty much sums it up for me.

As for the parts I snipped out—I don't know about the stealing or the bat-shit crazy parts (I just literally do not know about that), but I agree with the rest.
There's no such thing as a funny sig.

Return to “Religious Wars”