μTorrent pronunciation

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

How do you pronounce μTorrent?

mew-torrent
40
27%
you-torrent
53
36%
moo-torrent
8
5%
mü-torrent
20
14%
me-torrent
1
1%
micro-turrent
23
16%
utterant
2
1%
 
Total votes: 147

User avatar
Sizik
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 am UTC

μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Sizik » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:37 am UTC

^
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

User avatar
Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.
Posts: 1373
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

ludde wrote:I usually say "you torrent" because it looks like a u.

I have a feeling if I said muTorrent, or miTorrent, to someone, I'd get a blank stare.
Image

SwiftSilent
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:59 pm UTC
Location: ---

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby SwiftSilent » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:34 am UTC

I say you-torrent because it looks like that is what it says.


“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
---Albert Einstein---


User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Flumble » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

I say you-torrent because it's the common pronunciation (and Xenomortis' situation applies). Heck, I think I knew about µtorrent before my first (Ancient) Greek class.

brenok
Needs Directions
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:35 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby brenok » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

I actually say it more like oo-torrent, but I think you-torrent was the closest so I voted on it.

The physicist in me still wants to call it "micro-torrent", though.
Last edited by brenok on Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5247
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Thesh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:21 am UTC

I say you-torrent, although I suspect the original intention was for it to be called micro-torrent.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

SwiftSilent
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:59 pm UTC
Location: ---

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby SwiftSilent » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:59 am UTC

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge about this. But why would this name be referred to as micro torrent?


“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
---Albert Einstein---


User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5247
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Thesh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:07 am UTC

Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

SwiftSilent
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:59 pm UTC
Location: ---

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby SwiftSilent » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

I see. But even so, I still think it was originally pronounced as You-Torrent. That micro prefix may be a creative way to show the u so that the name stands out from others.


“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
---Albert Einstein---


User avatar
Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.
Posts: 1373
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Xenomortis » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

No, it's always been µTorrent and µ was chosen because it often represents the "micro" prefix - it's designed to have a small memory footprint.
Or so Wikipedia says.
Image

troyp
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:20 pm UTC
Location: Lismore, NSW

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby troyp » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:32 am UTC

If it was meant to be called "utorrent", why would they call it μtorrent? Well, I guess it could be some sort of visual pun. I call it mutorrent because it says mutorrent (it didn't occur to me to actually pronounce it "microtorrent" - even though it's written that way and I did wonder if the μ might stand for micro-)*.

I can remember being confused by the "utorrent" application people kept talking about - I could never actually find such a client. It took me a while to realise they were talking about mutorrent.

It still seems bizarre to me. What does "u" even have to do with "μ"? It looks like μ with a stroke missing - that's it! The only way it makes sense is if there are a lot of people who don't even recognize the letter μ and think it's a stylised "u". But how is that possible? μ is a very common glyph, even in the English-speaking world. I guess there could be people who recognise the glyph but don't remember its name, so the best they can do is visually approximate it by u...

* actually, even a unit like μm, I tend to think of as something like "mu-m" until I have to say it and it gets converted to "micrometer".

User avatar
Copper Bezel
Posts: 2315
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:35 am UTC
Location: Web exclusive!

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Copper Bezel » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Yes, I'd assume that's most likely. They probably recognize it as "that weird u."

I call it "mutorrent," when it comes up. Microtorrent makes a lot of sense, and I'd start using that if there were precedent.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

brenok
Needs Directions
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:35 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby brenok » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

troyp wrote:It still seems bizarre to me. What does "u" even have to do with "μ"? It looks like μ with a stroke missing - that's it! The only way it makes sense is if there are a lot of people who don't even recognize the letter μ and think it's a stylised "u". But how is that possible? μ is a very common glyph, even in the English-speaking world. I guess there could be people who recognise the glyph but don't remember its name, so the best they can do is visually approximate it by u...

Well, I think there're two motives that make people say it "uTorrent"
1) It's inpractical to write a "μ" on a non-Greek keyboard.
2) I believe "μ" isn't actually that common (there was at least one person on this thread who appearently didn't know it, and this board is probably more scientifically inclined than average)

And besides, "u" is the alternative prefix for "micro-" on limited typesets.

stickler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:40 pm UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby stickler » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

Is "micro-turrent" a typo?

SwiftSilent
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:59 pm UTC
Location: ---

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby SwiftSilent » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:12 am UTC

brenok wrote:
troyp wrote:It still seems bizarre to me. What does "u" even have to do with "μ"? It looks like μ with a stroke missing - that's it! The only way it makes sense is if there are a lot of people who don't even recognize the letter μ and think it's a stylised "u". But how is that possible? μ is a very common glyph, even in the English-speaking world. I guess there could be people who recognise the glyph but don't remember its name, so the best they can do is visually approximate it by u...

Well, I think there're two motives that make people say it "uTorrent"
1) It's inpractical to write a "μ" on a non-Greek keyboard.
2) I believe "μ" isn't actually that common (there was at least one person on this thread who appearently didn't know it, and this board is probably more scientifically inclined than average)

And besides, "u" is the alternative prefix for "micro-" on limited typesets.

I must say, this is a very well made point. The common man wouldn't recognize the "μ" as "micro." Naturally, especially me, it would just occur to be a fancy kind of "u."

Besides, take a look at the poll, which way is it said the most? It's "you-torrent." Not "micro-torrent."


“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
---Albert Einstein---


User avatar
Copper Bezel
Posts: 2315
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:35 am UTC
Location: Web exclusive!

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:15 am UTC

It is a poll, but the "correct" pronunciation couldn't really be determined by a popularity contest. Otherwise, discussion would not be necessary. If a correct pronunciation is desired, the best option would be to contact the developers. For now, I'm definitely sticking with reading it as it's written, mu torrent.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

lorb
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:34 am UTC
Location: Austria

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby lorb » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:57 pm UTC

The creator himself doesn't know. ( Source. ) But he proposes the following:
you-torrent
microtorrent (because µ means micro)
mytorrent (because µ is pronounced like my)

The "my" pronunciation is apparently a swedish thing.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

User avatar
Sizik
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Sizik » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:33 pm UTC

stickler wrote:Is "micro-turrent" a typo?

whoops
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

User avatar
markfiend
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:59 am UTC
Location: UK (Leeds)

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby markfiend » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:58 pm UTC

I'm with troyp. It hadn't even occurred to me that people might call it "utorrent" until I saw this thread; I thought utorrent was a different client from μtorrent.
Attoc dna Sublab evol eht teews secoiv fo eht slrug
pronouns: he/him/his

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11262
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:31 pm UTC

The folder on my computer is /utorrent/, so... I call it that.

User avatar
Copper Bezel
Posts: 2315
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:35 am UTC
Location: Web exclusive!

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:39 pm UTC

So is the web address. = ) So yeah, there's that.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

theassassin1999
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:39 am UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby theassassin1999 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:42 pm UTC

There's multiple ways!? O_O

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11262
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:31 am UTC

theassassin1999 wrote:There's multiple ways!? O_O

Of course not. Haven't you been paying attention? There is only one way.

Nyktos
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:02 pm UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Nyktos » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:26 am UTC

I pronounce it mu-torrent. I think most people just assume I'm saying u-torrent weirdly, in the relatively infrequent situation that I'm talking about µTorrent in real life. I've had to explain it to a couple of people though.

P13808
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:59 am UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby P13808 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:32 am UTC

Microtorrent by default, and I'll switch to youtorrent if the listener doesn't recognize it. Of course, I generally type utorrent either way. Micro- does give extra information about it, anyhow.

Foxical
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:47 am UTC
Location: Somewhere

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Foxical » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:17 pm UTC

mew-torrent. I'm used to seeing the character as the Greek letter.

User avatar
Bad Hair Man
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:12 pm UTC
Location: Corvallis, OR

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Bad Hair Man » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:34 pm UTC

Calling it micro-torrent sounds really strange to me, even if that was what was originally intended, because I've only ever seen μ = micro in circumstances (i.e. physics classes) where micro = 10-6. And 10-6torrent doesn't really make sense. (It's a very impractical scale to be measuring things on, is what I'm saying. I'm glad that within μtorrent itself partial downloads are measured in tenths of a percent rather than in millionths of a torrent.)

Copper Bezel wrote:It is a poll, but the "correct" pronunciation couldn't really be determined by a popularity contest.

I disagree. Common usage is correct usage, if the purpose of language is to communicate clearly. But I don't know if I've ever had to say "μtorrent" out loud before, and it's clearly spelled with a mu (pronounced "mew" in all of my math and physics classes) and not a u, so that's what I voted.
HAL9000 wrote:The Passover bunny walks on water! So he be an representation of Horus!

mousewiz
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby mousewiz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:17 pm UTC

It's always been microtorrent to me, though obviously I type utorrent.

BoneHead
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 10:43 pm UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby BoneHead » Tue May 27, 2014 11:46 pm UTC

Obviously mü-torrent. μ is pronounced mü (aka /my/)

mjmitche
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby mjmitche » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:06 pm UTC

I always thought it was you-torrent. Say, how do I register a vote..Seems like there's voting software being used by the OP

User avatar
Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:02 am UTC
Location: The Complex Plane in the Mandelbrot Set
Contact:

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:42 pm UTC

I say "micro-torrent" xD
I'm sexually attracted to the International Space Station. You have now had your daily dose of Internet.

User avatar
chasesan
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:53 pm UTC
Location: Walking the orbits of electrons.

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby chasesan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:16 am UTC

I usually say "u-torrent" or "micro-torrent".

Subtox
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:23 am UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Subtox » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:14 am UTC

I've always pronounced it mew-torrent, not because I'm well versed in the Greek alphabet or have used the symbol in my work, but because I'm a longtime fan of the artist μ-Ziq and you kind of have to pronounce it "mew" to get his name right. :) My friends all call it u-torrent, though, which can be awkward when we're all talking about it and pronouncing it differently. Kind of like talking to someone about dinner and they keep calling it supper...(pff Mom!)

In any case I really want to start pronouncing it micro-torrent. I hope it's not too late to change my mind. Is that against the rules?

Drauts
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:32 am UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Drauts » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:29 am UTC

I usually substitute the µ for a silence when reading it, but when speaking aloud I usually avoid the topic/ say microtorrent, though seeing the popularity of the more natural yootorrent, I think I'll switch.

User avatar
SPACKlick
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:25 am UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:00 pm UTC

in order of most to least common for me

Mew Torrent
Em Torrent
Micro Torrent
mtorrent
Moo torrent
torrent-thingy

It never crossed my mind that people would call it you torrent.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3784
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Honolulu ⇒ Tucson

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:16 am UTC

I call it "micro torrent", but it never crossed my mind to pronounce the Greek letter.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
Carmeister
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:10 am UTC

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Carmeister » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:43 am UTC

There are many fine options, but you-torrent is unacceptable. That letter is just flat out not a u.

Apologies if I got worked up, wasn't quite sober when I posted this.
Last edited by Carmeister on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
eviloatmeal
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:39 am UTC
Location: Upside down in space!
Contact:

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby eviloatmeal » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:58 am UTC

Except in the URI to the website of the thing in question, it is a u.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Image
Riddles are abound tonightImage

commodorejohn
Posts: 849
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:21 pm UTC
Location: Placerville, CA
Contact:

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:15 pm UTC

These days I lean towards "godawful ad-ridden piece of shit."
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: μTorrent pronunciation

Postby Obby » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:01 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:These days I lean towards "godawful ad-ridden piece of shit."

2.2.1 for life.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.


Return to “Religious Wars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests