Best anti-virus program?

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

poochyena

Best anti-virus program?

Postby poochyena » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

What is your opinion on the best anti-virus program? (no poll since i only know of a few different ones)
People will say Norton is the best, and others have a huge thing against Norton.
Then there are the free ones people like.

Why do people hate Norton so much? and if you hate it, what is the better solution?
I've had no problem with Norton, so i like it..

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: Best anti-virus program?

Postby Flumble » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

I'd vote for the OS installer. No virus survives a reinstall of the system.

On second place I'd put the OS's native antivirus software. AFAIK that's only Windows Defender. It isn't a resource hog that constantly asks for payment. Unfortunatly I don't know about the rate of false positives nor false negatives of any antivirus program.

WanderingLinguist

Postby WanderingLinguist » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:50 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I'd vote for the OS installer. No virus survives a reinstall of the system.

Um... there are plenty of viruses that can survive a reinstall of the OS.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:32 am UTC

Honestly, anti-virus is a band-aid; just remember that whatever you get, you cannot rely on them to keep your system secure and virus-free. First things first, don't run as admin, keep backups, keep your system up to date, disable any browser plugins you don't use (Java for sure, I usually block acrobat as well), if it doesn't bother you I would also run an add-on like noscript, and be careful about what you install. It's also a good idea to use VMs for all your shadier dealings.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:28 am UTC

http://www.av-comparatives.org

Norton used to be terrible, a resource hog that wasn't even very good at stopping viruses. It seems to have improved considerably since then, though.

From the real-world test of December 2013, it appears that Avast, Avira, BitDefender, ESET and Kaspersky (alphabetical order) are currently the best, with strong protection and few false positives (unfortunately Symantec/Norton wasn't included in that test for some reason). From the performance test of November 2013, it appears that Avast, Avira, BitDefender and Kaspersky (but not ESET) are also among the scanners that affect system performance least. Symantec does appear in the performance test and also scores very well, though not as good as Avast, Avira, BitDefender and Kaspersky.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:38 pm UTC

WanderingLinguist wrote:
Flumble wrote:I'd vote for the OS installer. No virus survives a reinstall of the system.

How many of them are in the wild? Of course if you have hardware attacked by the NSA Tailored Access Operations, the only thing you can expect to do is to drive to a Microcenter/Frys (away from NSA targets) and buy on off the shelf with cash.

My favorite anti-virus program is Knoppix (on DVD-R). Malware has to re-attack it every time you reboot it (and it is typically pretty malware resistant).

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:00 pm UTC

wumpus wrote:My favorite anti-virus program is Knoppix (on DVD-R). Malware has to re-attack it every time you reboot it (and it is typically pretty malware resistant).

You could say the same thing about any LiveCD or LiveDVD distro though, and I don't think that Linux exactly counts as an anti-virus program. It's more of an anti-virus operating system.

And yes (in before MS fanboys) I know there exists malware for Linux.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:36 pm UTC

Knoppix, Puppy and a few others are specifically set up to work well straight off the CD for common needs, without further setup. Copy to RAM and the speed penalty applies only to the boot process... and even that's still tolerable.
Is this comfortable for your everyday OS? Not really, but good enough if you only need to do something security-critical once in a while. If you need this kind of security all the time, you should either have a competent sysadmin taking care of your security concerns for you, or you're so paranoid that a little inconvenience shouldn't daunt you.

In general: Not being silly > using a relatively secure OS > anti-virus software and other band-aids.
LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single unified theme, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

WanderingLinguist

Postby WanderingLinguist » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:44 pm UTC

wumpus wrote:
WanderingLinguist wrote:

How many of them are in the wild?

I don't know what in incidence in the wild is today, but MBR viruses used to be quite widespread, and these days there viruses that can infect the bios and even survive re-flashing the bios.

wumpus wrote:Of course if you have hardware attacked by the NSA Tailored Access Operations...

What does that have to do with anything? This stuff isn't limited to the NSA...

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:02 pm UTC

Iranon wrote:Knoppix, Puppy and a few others are specifically set up to work well straight off the CD for common needs, without further setup. Copy to RAM and the speed penalty applies only to the boot process... and even that's still tolerable.
Is this comfortable for your everyday OS? Not really, but good enough if you only need to do something security-critical once in a while. If you need this kind of security all the time, you should either have a competent sysadmin taking care of your security concerns for you, or you're so paranoid that a little inconvenience shouldn't daunt you.

In general: Not being silly > using a relatively secure OS > anti-virus software and other band-aids.

Quite a few months, actually (I forgot why, I think I was to busy to try to recover the filesystem). In practice it makes sense to use such a system for a few actions when you want some attempt at security (banking, at least if your bank has better security than anything you can find in the US).

WanderingLinguist wrote:
wumpus wrote:Of course if you have hardware attacked by the NSA Tailored Access Operations...

What does that have to do with anything? This stuff isn't limited to the NSA...

The point is that some malware isn't going to come out. Also since the NSA appears to like to buy stuff off the shelf, you can probably find all you want on the Silk Road or your nearest arms dealer.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:28 am UTC

WanderingLinguist wrote:Um... there are plenty of viruses that can survive a reinstall of the OS.

My bad, I hadn't thought of viruses nesting themselves in the BIOS.* (Which of course can happen because it must be updatable. Though it should require one to correctly sign the update or find an exploit)
Although, which anti-virus software could detect/fix that?

WanderingLinguist wrote:I don't know what in incidence in the wild is today, but MBR viruses used to be quite widespread, and these days there viruses that can infect the bios and even survive re-flashing the bios.

MBR viruses only survive a reinstall of the OS if the user is ignorant enough to not reinstall the MBR and bootloader, right?

*The BIOS (and the disk drive's firmware) is the only place to run code before the disk drive is read, right?

theassassin1999

Postby theassassin1999 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:44 pm UTC

Try Avast; my dad is an electrical engineer and we have been using that since I can remember.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:25 pm UTC

Mac OS (see also BSD, Linux)
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:06 pm UTC

No. There are fewer viruses for Macs and other non-Windows platforms (and that will probably remain the case for a while), but by all means they are not resistant or anything. First line of defense is your common sense. Second line of defense is keeping your software up-to-date. Third line of defense may be antivirus software. Choosing a Mac (or Linux) over Windows comes several places after that.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:27 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Mac OS (see also BSD, Linux)
Not an anti-virus. I recommend a sledghammer.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:51 am UTC

EvanED wrote:
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Mac OS (see also BSD, Linux)
Not an anti-virus. I recommend a sledghammer.
Just, please don't use antibiotics.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

P13808

Postby P13808 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:25 am UTC

I uninstall every single one on every computer I touch. Notably, I'm unaffected in all cases beyond clearly stupid moves (i.e. downloading shady warez.)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:49 am UTC

There's a lot more to security than just watching what you download. Up to date software will protect you from the vast majority of exploits, but there are still 0 day exploits. Disabling unused browser plugins (e.g. Java, media players, acrobat) will protect you from a lot more, but there are still 0 day browser and flash exploits. Running an addon that prevents flash from running without user interaction helps, as well as allowing JavaScript via whitelisting only; these steps will protect against the vast majority of remaining exploits, but there are still potentially attacks against other browser components (jpeg libraries have had remote code execution vulnerabilities).

To limit the damage of malware, you shouldn't run as root/admin, and ideally you will have application level access controls as well (e.g. SELinux) but adding that after the fact when programs are already designed to require excessive permissions for the sake of convenience (for either developer or user), then it can only protect you so much. Sure, choosing an OS that isn't targeted as much helps too, but I hesitate to call that in and of itself security.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

peterdavidson99

Postby peterdavidson99 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:26 am UTC

For me a combination of AVG with Immunet works fine.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:54 pm UTC

Pah, my well trained butterfly beats them all.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:08 am UTC

Avira. Free, unintrusive and not a resource hog.

But yeah, I think the nastiest virus I ever got was from Acrobat being out of date, and Win7 has made it a lot easier to only run things as Admin when you need to.

I bumped into Norton the other week. Too overprotective and difficult to configure. I couldn't figure out how to stop it from blocking apps from contacting our own web services, at least not quickly.

Return to “Religious Wars”