Mechanical or Wood

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Triple Log

Mechanical or Wood

Postby Triple Log » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:04 pm UTC

Pencils. Do you prefer mechanical or wooden.

Why.

Any specfifc brands in general, or for any specific purpose?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Mechanical or Wood

Postby poxic » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:09 pm UTC

Mechanical pencils are sharper, more reliable, and reusable. But my heart belongs to wood pencils because of no good reason.

Edit because Flumble reminded me: wood is better for drawing. Mechanicals are better for writing.
Last edited by poxic on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:40 pm UTC

I prefer the sturdiness of wooden pencils when outlining hinges/handles/whatever onto surfaces (or objects in general).
Apart from those rough sketches it doesn't matter to me what kind of pen(cil) I use, so ++wood.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:57 am UTC

Pencils, whether mechanical or wood, are the spawn of the devil, and must be terminated with extreme prejudice. Pens are where it's at. I'm left handed, and used pencils in grade school. The side of my hand would be gray, every day.

FLHerne

Postby FLHerne » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:14 am UTC

I only use pencils for marking things up and for drawing, and wooden pencils are superior for both.
If you're writing, why not just use a pen?

Nyktos

Postby Nyktos » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:07 pm UTC

I prefer wood pencils, but I still use mechanical nearly 100% of the time. It's worth it to never have to use a fucking pencil sharpener.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:17 pm UTC

scarecrovv wrote:Pencils, whether mechanical or wood, are the spawn of the devil, and must be terminated with extreme prejudice. Pens are where it's at. I'm left handed, and used pencils in grade school. The side of my hand would be gray, every day.

No, you're just silly for writing in the wrong direction for your hand position.
Latin script is for right-handed people. Go write Arabic or smt.

Pencils are great utensils for rough drawings. Pens fail on a lot of surfaces. Charcoal is just annoying in any situation (except for barbecues). And keyboards are for actual writing.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:05 pm UTC

scarecrovv wrote:Pencils, whether mechanical or wood, are the spawn of the devil, and must be terminated with extreme prejudice. Pens are where it's at. I'm left handed, and used pencils in grade school. The side of my hand would be gray, every day.

Didn't go for the weird "turn the page and write sideways" trick?

I personally hate using pencils, but I much prefer wooden ones when I have to.
The mechanical ones have too much give when using them; the lead isn't rigid and the whole thing feels cheap and crap.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:19 pm UTC

Get better mechanical pencils. :-)

I like pencils, and it's mechanical pencils all the way for me, because of the fine point. I got unreasonably excited when I learned there were 0.3mm pencils, and immediately bought one (and continued to be unreasonably excited until I got back to my office and could try it out).

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:44 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:Get better mechanical pencils.

Pencils are throwaway devices for throwaway work.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

They are both useful. However, mechanical pencils are replaced by computers (for writing). Wooden pencils are useful for sketching/drawing, and I dont have that digital replacement (e.g. tablet with Photoshop), so I'm going with wooden, final answer.
-Adam

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:04 am UTC

scarecrovv wrote:Pens are where it's at. I'm left handed

I think you misunderstand the nature of "pen", my wangle-handed friend.

Spoiler:
Photograph of ink smudges ruining a text.*
*I posit that the causation of this mess being unrelated to left-handedness is outweighed by the magnitude of the mess.

If you refuse to cede this point, my next argument will be a recording of the horrible sound a nib makes when you apply pressure to it in the wrong direction.

Wood pencils are far superior to mechanical pencils. Wood pencils inform you that they require maintenance by gently and gradually increasing the breadth of their line, whereas mechanical pencils simply tear your paper when the lead runs down and you run into the metal feed.

Wood pencils are very hardy - should you break any part of one, it can always be sharpened back to a usable state. Should you break the tip of a mechanical pencil, or its feeding mechanism, you might as well throw it away, along with that snobby little case of overpriced slivers of carbon you had to purchase separately in order to make it work.

Additionally, have fun trying to do this with a mechanical pencil.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:10 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:Wood pencils inform you that they require maintenance bygently and gradually increasing the breadth of their linekeeping a sharp point for only about 10 seconds of writing before needing resharpening, an interval that is easily tracked mentally.
Fixed. ;-)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:22 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:
eviloatmeal wrote:Wood pencils inform you that they require maintenance bygently and gradually increasing the breadth of their linekeeping a sharp point for only about 10 seconds of writing before needing resharpening, an interval that is easily tracked mentally.
Fixed. ;-)

Unless the lead isn't sticking out of its cylindrical casing at all, there's always an angle at which the lead touches a flat surface at a single point (or very small area, since both materials aren't mathematically perfect).
Indeed, you don't get very far keeping the pencil's orientation constant. It's a probable reason why wooden pencils don't have gyroscopes in general.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:26 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:
scarecrovv wrote:Pens are where it's at. I'm left handed

I think you misunderstand the nature of "pen", my wangle-handed friend.

Spoiler:
Photograph of ink smudges ruining a text.*
*I posit that the causation of this mess being unrelated to left-handedness is outweighed by the magnitude of the mess.

If you refuse to cede this point, my next argument will be a recording of the horrible sound a nib makes when you apply pressure to it in the wrong direction.

I believe it is you who (deliberately) misunderstand. Both of the phenomena that you describe have happened to me exactly zero times in my entire life, because nib pens are a silly, niche anachronism. We both know perfectly well that I was talking about ballpoint pens.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:03 am UTC

Sturdy, steel-barrelled mechanical pencils for me. You can do a lot more with a wooden penicl, but I'm going to be doing all of that sort of stuff in the painting app anyway. Wooden pencils are just far too much fuss for a little gain.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

deskjethp

Postby deskjethp » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:45 pm UTC

Wood. They can shade, they last longer, they don't have the tiny piece problem, they smell nice, they're cheap, they come in 6-sided varieties.
arbivark wrote:when i was first a tenant at 19, i was probably a nuisance .. a bother, to the landlord because i'd do stuff like, hey there's a fireplace here, get me a hammer, hey if i make a hole in my ceiling there's an attic that runs the length of the rowhouses.

SirTripalot

Postby SirTripalot » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:04 pm UTC

wood. I'm losing them anyway, so I need the less expensive option.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:19 am UTC

Mechanical, because they're great for toting around and you don't have to sharpen them (these facts being closely related.) But wood pencils have their own merits as well, especially for drawing.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:09 pm UTC

scarecrovv wrote: I was talking about ballpoint pens.

Heretic! Ballpoint pens are the work of Beelzebub! Seven pages down and I can still read the indentations left by pressing too hard. If you can't write with a fountain pen, you can't write.

</not_entirely_joking>
Attoc dna Sublab evol eht teews secoiv fo eht slrug
pronouns: he/him/his

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:26 pm UTC

I don't always write things by hand, but when I do it is a horrible, illegible mess regardless of utensil.

dyedinthewoolliberal

Postby dyedinthewoolliberal » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:51 pm UTC

Wood. 'Cause ya can chew on 'em............... :D

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:06 am UTC

Pilot Delful Double-Knock. It's the pencil that plays nice in your pocket.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Return to “Religious Wars”