Left-handed vs right-handed coordinate system

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Flumble
Yes Man

Left-handed vs right-handed coordinate system

Postby Flumble » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

Which is more betterer? Do you ever use the other? Do you even use one of the two?

I'm used to the right-handed one more because most 3D engines (that I know of) work this way. (GameMaker being the odd one out as it wanted to retain the top-down bases from the level editor and have the z basis upward) And my maths teacher taught me to bring the z axis to the front.
But since I'm no engineer or physicist, I don't run into problems when switching orientations.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Re: Left-handed vs right-handed coordinate system

Postby scarecrovv » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:44 pm UTC

In most applications, I assume an author is using a right handed coordinate system unless they specifically say otherwise. I don't remember ever being wrong yet - right handed coordinate systems are much more common. I'm also very pleased personally that right handed coordinate systems are dominant because I'm left handed. This means I can write equations with my left hand while I make that funny hand gesture to remind me of which way the axes go with my right.

However, I really wish that the world could just pick a system and stick with it. If I could permanently abolish right handed coordinate systems (forcing everybody, including myself, to switch to left handed coordinates) I would do it, just to eliminate the confusion once and for all.

Return to “Religious Wars”