Firefox vs. Chrome: Is it time for me to throw in the towel?

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Mambrino

Re: Firefox vs. Chrome: Is it time for me to throw in the towel?

Postby Mambrino » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:06 am UTC

I'm still too attached to NoScript+uBlockO to change even to marginally better browser. No, I will not load a shitton of JS if the site actually works quite well without it. Also, to be frank, I like to have vague idea what is happening when I type stuff to address bar and know when I'm doing a search instead. Disliking monopolies is a plus, especially so when they are built on "free-lunch-with-advertising, and now advertisement is even more tailored to than ever" is a big plus.

I also don't understand how bookmarks could get replaced with a search. Extended memory such as browseable lists of items is very useful, because I can't remember to search for all the things that I should or would like to remember and I can't even control when any particular reference will become useful so that I should remember it. So, somewhat organized system of bookmarks that can be searched, but I've been contemplating moving into a more managed reference database.

For OS management search works because when I need to start up an application, I know which application I need. Lists-of-nice-things-to-remember serve a different purpose.

VgKing

Postby VgKing » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:04 pm UTC

I no longer use Fire Fox. It keeps crashing. But with Chrome, I never experience any major issues. Chrome is quite fast and easy to use.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:42 am UTC

I just discovered vertical tree tabs. Firefox supports them through extensions. Chrome doesn't allow extensions to remove the tab bar. I'm apparently using Firefox now.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Return to “Religious Wars”