Operating Systems

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Amnesiasoft

Re: Operating Systems

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri May 02, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

lurkersanonymous wrote:Then we had the 'freaking icons the size of houses' on the screen, this problem took days to find a solution for (Ctrl-mousewheel) as it wasn't in the help files.

Or, you know, Right click>view>Large/Medium/Classic icons, you know exactly the same way as on XP

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri May 02, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
ash.gti wrote:Down load it from developer.apple.com

Its 938 megs though.

983 megs isn't that big.

The question is, *where* do I go on that site to download it?

Yeah, it is that big. On Linux we still measure package sizes in kilobytes and single- or double-digits of megabytes. The only thing I've ever found about OSX that I don't like is the software bloat.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Fri May 02, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:The only thing I've ever found about OSX that I don't like is the software bloat.

Which is mostly due to the fact they traditionally compile everything into 4 forms, PPC, PPC64, i386, and x86_64 so they tend to get bigger from that.

That and most programs like to carry their dependencies with them. Which isn't bad, but say you go download the Git.pkg installer, well it uses perl for some of the scripts in there, so It has its own pre-packaged version of perl included in 4 different forms to make sure it works on all versions of OS X.

Kinda annoying, but meh, at least you programs *should* always run.
# drinks WAY to much espresso

lurkersanonymous

Postby lurkersanonymous » Sat May 03, 2008 1:15 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
lurkersanonymous wrote:Then we had the 'freaking icons the size of houses' on the screen, this problem took days to find a solution for (Ctrl-mousewheel) as it wasn't in the help files.

Or, you know, Right click>view>Large/Medium/Classic icons, you know exactly the same way as on XP

That refused to work for us which was the reason we hated it. No matter which one you selected they stayed the same size.
This just in from the tether ball Court, Obama's friend said Ms. Clinton has cooties.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Sat May 03, 2008 3:09 am UTC

ash.gti wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:The only thing I've ever found about OSX that I don't like is the software bloat.

Which is mostly due to the fact they traditionally compile everything into 4 forms, PPC, PPC64, i386, and x86_64 so they tend to get bigger from that.
[\quote]

The OS is also pre installed with all languages, accessibility options, drivers etc. The full install is more ridiculous than XP which I thought was pretty bad when I did my first XP install. The languages and apps take up the most space and you can easily recover at least 1/3 of the space if you do a reinstall.

However, I like that all the drivers are installed. When I get a new peripheral I plug it in and it works. For some reason a couple of friends on Windows refuse to believe that I didn't install drivers myself.

That and most programs like to carry their dependencies with them. Which isn't bad, but say you go download the Git.pkg installer, well it uses perl for some of the scripts in there, so It has its own pre-packaged version of perl included in 4 different forms to make sure it works on all versions of OS X.

Kinda annoying, but meh, at least you programs *should* always run.

Wait, how is a lack of dependency nightmares an annoyance? Do people like fixing dependency problems? :shock:

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Sat May 03, 2008 4:13 am UTC

recurve boy wrote:The OS is also pre installed with all languages...

Yup all 3 of them, english, spanish & fanboy :P

The quicklaunch tool (3rd Party, is found in OpenSuSE) where you hit a key combo then start typing the name of a program and it will launch, I can't remember the name.

Is that like katapult but for gnome? I do find it does indeed rock, unfortunately i often forget i have it and just use my dropdown launcher bar, that has all the programs/scripts & a cmdbox, but thats why i love linux so many ways of doing anything i get to choose how to do it not steve (balmer/jobs)
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

lurkersanonymous

Postby lurkersanonymous » Sat May 03, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Xbehave wrote:

The quicklaunch tool (3rd Party, is found in OpenSuSE) where you hit a key combo then start typing the name of a program and it will launch, I can't remember the name.

Is that like katapult but for gnome? I do find it does indeed rock, unfortunately i often forget i have it and just use my dropdown launcher bar, that has all the programs/scripts & a cmdbox, but thats why i love linux so many ways of doing anything i get to choose how to do it not steve (balmer/jobs)

Thats the name :D I just got a .deb for it and installed it, it just installed the kde dependencies and it runs fine. Looks really out of place, but that doesn't stop the functionality.
This just in from the tether ball Court, Obama's friend said Ms. Clinton has cooties.

zenten

Postby zenten » Sat May 03, 2008 5:05 am UTC

You know, if someone were to make pretty hardware that was decent in quality and have the driver making community have full access so they could make everything work just right OS X would have nothing on Linux.

Noughmad

Postby Noughmad » Sat May 03, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

lurkersanonymous wrote:Thats the name :D I just got a .deb for it and installed it, it just installed the kde dependencies and it runs fine. Looks really out of place, but that doesn't stop the functionality.
Katapult is in Ubuntu repos, it's even included by default in Kubuntu IIRC.
Laziness is the mother of wisdom.
My woblag

lurkersanonymous

Postby lurkersanonymous » Sun May 04, 2008 7:29 am UTC

Noughmad wrote:
lurkersanonymous wrote:Thats the name :D I just got a .deb for it and installed it, it just installed the kde dependencies and it runs fine. Looks really out of place, but that doesn't stop the functionality.
Katapult is in Ubuntu repos, it's even included by default in Kubuntu IIRC.

-Looks at repos-

-blinks-

-looks again-

I probably should have checked there first huh.... Ah well, my bad I guess. Thanks for pointing it out.

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Sun May 04, 2008 8:33 pm UTC

zenten wrote:You know, if someone were to make pretty hardware that was decent in quality and have the driver making community have full access so they could make everything work just right OS X would have nothing on Linux.

try lthese guys, not too good at laptops tho :(
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Mon May 05, 2008 12:16 am UTC

zenten wrote:You know, if someone were to make pretty hardware that was decent in quality and have the driver making community have full access so they could make everything work just right OS X would have nothing on Linux.

You can already do this. Simply pick certain hardware configurations that are known to work and test on these configs. When new hardware comes out, select the ones you want to support and make old configurations obsolete.

Oh wait ...

Seriously, what do you expect? All the competing companies to magically work together and ensure all their products are compatible? And selective hardware support already happens to get linux working anyway. Until recently, getting an ATI card was a bad idea. No good drivers. Everyone recommended not to get one.

Linux has all the components to out do OS X already. But it's never going to happen.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Mon May 05, 2008 12:24 am UTC

Xbehave wrote:

Damn straight. After 5 years of dicking around with config files to get Linux running mostly on laptops and 7 years of Windows generally being shit especially for doing work, I fucking flipped after a half day affair trying to get Linux drivers configured correctly for a Dell laptop. I got an iBook and never looked back. All the benefits of a *nix machine, none of the bullshit.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon May 05, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

blasphemy!!!
We should all be using Ubuntu!

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon May 05, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

Xbehave wrote:

And, for some reason, Korean, Japanese, Traditional and Simplified Chinese. I don't think Apple actually sells that many Macs in East Asia, but all the Japanese, Chinese, and Korean characters impress Apple's white-American market.

It's kind of dumb, really. I've never even heard of Macs having a huge market outside of the USA, so why not just put in only English by default on a computer sold to the American market?

Linux has all the components to out do OS X already. But it's never going to happen.

Avant Window Navigator is sure as hell getting there.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon May 05, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
Xbehave wrote:

And, for some reason, Korean, Japanese, Traditional and Simplified Chinese. I don't think Apple actually sells that many Macs in East Asia, but all the Japanese, Chinese, and Korean characters impress Apple's white-American market.

It's kind of dumb, really. I've never even heard of Macs having a huge market outside of the USA, so why not just put in only English by default on a computer sold to the American market?

Because people in America speak more than English.

Also, people who consider themselves power users enough to care about bloat should be reformatting and placing ~/ on a separate partition, anyway, while removing the languages during a custom install.

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Mon May 05, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

In 2007 OS X outsold Windows in Japan, up capping at about 60% of the OS sales.
http://bcnranking.jp/news/0711/071108_8930.html

I wouldn't say the US is Apple's only market.

Also, one of the first 'major' complaints about OS X was it wasn't available in enough languages.

They sported the 22 most popular languages that buy mac's but apparently, thats not enough to meet some peoples standards.

Although, yes, you can save almost a gig of space on your OS X installation if you remove the all the languages but english.

afarnen

Postby afarnen » Wed May 07, 2008 9:46 am UTC

Definately GNU/Linux.

It's free software: you know what you're getting, and you can control what you get (and how you run it).

It's quite popular: it's stood (grammar?) the test of time, and is used in many different ways and forms everyday by people everywhere.

It works.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed May 07, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

afarnen wrote:Definately GNU/Linux.

It's free software: you know what you're getting,

I'm not a programmer, so I have as much idea about what I'm getting with Linux as I do with Windows or OS X (which is also largely open source below userspace). The only difference is that I'm trusting people who may not be getting paid over people who are.

moteyalpha

Postby moteyalpha » Wed May 07, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:

I'm not a programmer, so I have as much idea about what I'm getting with Linux as I do with Windows or OS X (which is also largely open source below userspace). The only difference is that I'm trusting people who may not be getting paid over people who are.

I just installed the new Hardy Heron on three machines I use and Linux has been a bit of an uphill battle for me over the last two years, but this version 8.04 is scary good! It actually healed my video drivers when I screwed them up on install. It is actually noticeably faster than the previous version and I have a dual boot to Windows, but I also have a NTFS mount and can get junk from there and I use wine for games. I am a programmer and will do kernel hacking sometimes and that is what makes me like Linux even more. I used to do professional programming for Windows drivers, but the lack of open documentation can drive a person nuts. And as far as trusting people who don't get paid, I trust Newton when he said F=ma. I guess I will find out when the new version of the universe comes out, if he was right.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed May 07, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

moteyalpha wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:

I just installed the new Hardy Heron on three machines I use and Linux has been a bit of an uphill battle for me over the last two years, but this version 8.04 is scary good! It actually healed my video drivers when I screwed them up on install. It is actually noticeably faster than the previous version and I have a dual boot to Windows, but I also have a NTFS mount and can get junk from there and I use wine for games. I am a programmer and will do kernel hacking sometimes and that is what makes me like Linux even more. I used to do professional programming for Windows drivers, but the lack of open documentation can drive a person nuts. And as far as trusting people who don't get paid, I trust Newton when he said F=ma. I guess I will find out when the new version of the universe comes out, if he was right.

Newton was paid for his work, and there's plenty of empirical evidence to support it besides.

At any rate, I wasn't claiming that either a paid programmer or an unpaid one was inherently more or less trustworthy, simply that they're all I have to go on since no matter how much source code is available, none of it means anything to me, and therefore I don't know what I'm getting with Linux any more than I do with Windows or OS X.

moteyalpha

Postby moteyalpha » Wed May 07, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Newton was paid for his work, and there's plenty of empirical evidence to support it besides.

At any rate, I wasn't claiming that either a paid programmer or an unpaid one was inherently more or less trustworthy, simply that they're all I have to go on since no matter how much source code is available, none of it means anything to me, and therefore I don't know what I'm getting with Linux any more than I do with Windows or OS X.

I did not think you were saying that paid was better. I was just trying to be funny. ( failed miserably :) ) I actually use 5 different OS's on my machines and I have always liked Apple and MAC but as a commercial programmer, MAC did not have enough market share for many company's taste. My opinion is free and is therefore worthless ( that is supposed to be another joke ) It is just my professional opinion as a long time programmer that since MS has kept other companies from making applications in competition to their own products, it has decayed to the point that Linux applications are much more usable. I don't think Apple tries to drive out competition and so it has some very good partners. The other major reason I use open source is because it has some security utilities that I cannot live without anymore and they won't run elsewhere. A girl I know uses Mac and Linux, and the console commands are the same from what she has told me. I am presently starting to work with a Linux group that is making a BIOS that has Linux built in the motherboard. I think I can run OS X as an application on Linux if I am not mistaken and the other way around. I run Windows programs as applications under Linux ( withe Wine )sometimes but not very often.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed May 07, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Mac is not an acronym.

OS X is Unix. Anything that runs under Linux should run under OS X.

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed May 07, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Mac is not an acronym.

Only if you install X on OS X (gah, name collisions!). And even then it can take twerking to get it to compile.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed May 07, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Or you can use Fink or DarwinPorts, which don't have the full range of packages, but a lot of it is available.

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Wed May 07, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Only if you install X on OS X (gah, name collisions!). And even then it can take twerking to get it to compile.

X is included by default for Leopard (and probably anything after that...)

I assume your refering to X11 right? Or Xorg-server?

In the last OS X update they updated leopards X11.app to 7.2, but I don't remember what Tiger uses, I don't have any tiger installations anymore ><

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed May 07, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

ash.gti wrote:
zenten wrote:Only if you install X on OS X (gah, name collisions!). And even then it can take twerking to get it to compile.

X is included by default for Leopard (and probably anything after that...)

I assume your refering to X11 right? Or Xorg-server?

In the last OS X update they updated leopards X11.app to 7.2, but I don't remember what Tiger uses, I don't have any tiger installations anymore ><

I'm pretty sure that 10.4 doesn't have it. And either X11 or Xorg would be what I'm talking about, the fork isn't important.

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Wed May 07, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

Zenten, you need to find your Tiger install CD

X11 for Tiger is on that...

So are the xcode tools (which includes GCC, make, etc)

Um... Dashcode is on there too (for making dashboard widgets)

There are a bunch of 'extra' tools on the Tiger install CD (and Leopard Install CD) that 'most' people don't use but are really useful to have.

You can request another one from the Apple website and they can mail it to you.

And not that I'd suggest it, but I hear you can find the Tiger CD on torrents if you really need it. Considering Apple gives you one for free, they don't have serial codes on their OS and your using OS X all I don't see why they don't let you download the CD from their website. But Anyway...

*psst, check here http://cjmart.in/2006/12/01/install-x11 ... stall-dvd/ if you can't get a hold of your install dvd and go to apples developer section I told you about before to get XCode 2.5)

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed May 07, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

Yeah, I have X11 on my Tiger machine. It was on the OS CD.

afarnen

Postby afarnen » Thu May 08, 2008 3:11 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
moteyalpha wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:

Newton was paid for his work, and there's plenty of empirical evidence to support it besides.

Besides, you've only read one point in my post about GNU/Linux.

moteyalpha

Postby moteyalpha » Thu May 08, 2008 12:04 pm UTC

Great stuff , I learned a lot from the comments. I will have to look into OS X a little more. I guess it has been a while since I looked at any Apple stuff, I vaguely remember using 68000, then 680x0 processors and they were nice to program with. I stand corrected.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Thu May 08, 2008 1:37 pm UTC

ash.gti wrote:And not that I'd suggest it, but I hear you can find the Tiger CD on torrents if you really need it. Considering Apple gives you one for free, they don't have serial codes on their OS and your using OS X all I don't see why they don't let you download the CD from their website. But Anyway...

Because it's a product that they sell? Just because they don't treat their customers like criminals doesn't mean they shouldn't profit from their work.

And even then it can take twerking to get it to compile.

So it does indeed behave exactly like Linux.

Noughmad

Postby Noughmad » Thu May 08, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

recurve boy wrote:
And even then it can take twerking to get it to compile.

So it does indeed behave exactly like Linux.
Because package managers are evil robotic overlords.
Laziness is the mother of wisdom.
My woblag

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Thu May 08, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

recurve boy wrote:So it does indeed behave exactly like Linux.

Actually... Well, yes they do have a few things they have to specify to get it to compile and run on OS X, but its technically the same compiler settings as XFreeBSD

If you get the PKG version of it though, its pre-compiled in all 4 supported architectures yada yada yad.

According to: http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/Current/
Which has the open source and a few closed source things of OS X, you can even go look at the makefile if you want.

And if you want to compile any/all of that from scratch, you can download the darwinbuilder http://darwinbuild.macosforge.org/ which lets you build the kernel and other parts of the os from the source code.

You *could* re-compile the whole OS from the ground up if you have a developers license you can get copies of some of the closed source stuff which you really just need to get to the Apple Updater, then run that and it will fix all the missing components. Thats basically how that free version of OS X that runs on non-mac PC's works. It was custom compiled up to the Apple Updater so it can try to fix itself and even keep itself up to date. I haven't tried using it yet, mainly because my only computer thats not OS X is a server and has stuff I'd rather not loose on it, so i have no idea if it works at all but I hear it works but not the greatest or smoothest.

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Fri May 09, 2008 1:28 am UTC

Sure the backend is but i like my system unixy all the way through. The user end of OS X definitely isn't very unixy

ehntoo

Postby ehntoo » Fri May 09, 2008 1:54 am UTC

I use Mac OS X Tiger. I don't really want Leopard as I have no need for all those features. I also installed Gusty Gibbon today, and I really enjoy it so far, but I guess I haven't gotten the full experience since I'm new to it.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Fri May 09, 2008 4:38 am UTC

I actually consider the fact that linux is built by people who aren't paid to do so a good thing. I mean, it is, after all, built by people who write kernels for fun. They're bound to be enthusiastic about software. People who are paid to make stuff don't need that enthusiasm, because they've got other motivation at hand.

I installed Hardy yesterday, and it works like a charm. I first tried installing debian, but that didn't turn out so well (Xorg failed me), but Hardy was a very quick and painless install. I've tried installing various versions of linux on my desktop before, but I've always ended up having trouble with it. First there's the fact that it didn't have NTFS support, which meant I had to use linux and windows for completely separate things with the partitioning setup I had (one os partition with installed apps, two data partitions with > 4gb files on them), then there's the fact that I've never been able to get X to work properly (the furthest I've gotten before was using software acceleration), and lastly there's the fact that I've never gotten sound.
When I installed Hardy yesterday, however, I found my NTFS partitions easily, double-clicked them to mount them, and had made symlinks to the appropriate directories in just a few minutes. I'm now using the same workspace in eclipse in both windows and ubuntu, my home/$USER directory contains $MUSICDIRECTORY, $VIDEODIRECTORY etc. and best of all, X worked right out of the box. When I booted for the first time, a box popped up telling me how my card had some proprietary drivers I might want to use and installed them when I told it to. glxgears now runs at the quaint speed of 10500 fps. Sound is still in the works though, but it turns out my sound-card doesn't have drivers for anything but windows. They're working on it, however, and I don't really need sound in linux yet, so's good. I could probably fix it by using the motherboard built-in toy sound card, but that would mean I have to switch my speakers between that and my real sound card when switching OS, and opening the box to switch the wiring to the front-side case jacks for my headphones...
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

mountaingoat

Postby mountaingoat » Fri May 09, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

I use Ubuntu on my desktop and laptop. I've been playing around with it for a while, but switched to it as my primary operating system right after Gutsy came out.

CrunchyFoodstuff

Postby CrunchyFoodstuff » Fri May 09, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Lemme see:

CP/M-80 on an Amstrad PCW (sadly trashed some time ago :( ) - simple command prompt system, a joy to use. Failing floppy disk drives and failing 3" floppy disks aside.
Locoscript II on the same machine - this was basically a word processor with integrated OS. Really nice for the time, with functions that are still not offered by modern day word processors (eg. design you own fonts, use a two key combination to copy *and store* blocks of text for later use while copy/paste still worked normally (and you could have up to 10 blocks of text stored!)).

Then came Dos 6.2 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11. That system I loved for its relative stability, and the fact that its internals were quite well documented in files that were included with the OS. Oh, and all in approx. 20 Mb. Add office and a good drawing package and it would still all fit on a 100 mb harddisk with room to spare. With Win32s and WinG you could even run some early Windows 95 programs. :D

Windows 95 - that was awful. Gah. Bloated in comparison to 3.11. Not so stable. :|

Windows 98SE - probably my second favorite windows. Very stable as a gaming system on my old PII. Lacks the internal documentation of 3.11, and the interface has the same problems as Win95... :D

Windows XP - HATE. Takes the Win95 interface a step further, adds loads of really badly documented features (unless you look on the internet, and know where to look on MS's horrendous website, I suppose), frankly it just lacks something. Bloated. :evil:

Vista - I think I hate this one just from what I've heard and read about it. :evil: :evil:

BeOS - would still like to try that one. :)

Linux - Too badly documented for beginners IMHO. Now the last time I tried it was a few years ago. I suspect it has improved. :?

MacOS 7.x-8.x - Tried this at Uni a long time ago, kinda sucky (machines were quite old/worn), but easier to use than Win95/98. :)
MacOS 9.x - Better, tried it still at uni a long time ago. newer machines too. Liky. Reason for buying a Mac after my AMD-powered PC decided that snacking on harddisks was a good idea. :D

MacOS 9.2.2 - Quite fast, quite stable, a nice workhorse. Interface decent, but not very flashy. :D :D :D
MacOS X 10.2.x - Better than 9.2.2, a lot more stable, nice eye candy. 8) 8) 8) Printer not supported. :|
MacOS X 10.4.x - Fast, really really stable, a joy to use. I still prefer the way 10.2.x looks, though. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sat May 10, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

CrunchyFoodstuff wrote:Windows 98SE - probably my second favorite windows. Very stable as a gaming system on my old PII. Lacks the internal documentation of 3.11, and the interface has the same problems as Win95... :D

(emphasis mine)

You seem to have a definition of stability radically different from mine.

Return to “Religious Wars”