Religious Wars

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
davean
Site Ninja
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:50 am UTC
Contact:

Religious Wars

Postby davean » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:59 am UTC

Computer Scientists and programmers never argue about anything. The entire idea for this forum is based on a false premise.

photosinensis
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:17 am UTC

Re: Religious Wars

Postby photosinensis » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:10 am UTC

Taking the risk of sounding like I just came off /b/:

Image

I argue with my profs and peers all the time! It's how we combat boredom!
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

User avatar
SimonM
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:49 pm UTC
Location: Guernsey, CI
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby SimonM » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:59 am UTC

davean wrote:Computer Scientists and programmers never argue about anything. The entire idea for this forum is based on a false premise.


By responding with a different point of view in this forum I contradict you. :P

There are loads of areas where people disagree in computer science, many of them don't matter, just think about arguments over comments in the past
mosc wrote:How did you LEARN, exactly, to suck?

User avatar
OfficiallyHaphazard
Age=postcount/60
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:56 pm UTC

Re: Religious Wars

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:05 am UTC

davean wrote:Computer Scientists and programmers never argue about anything. The entire idea for this forum is based on a false premise.


He is right.

What he said is an undeniable fact carved out of pure truth.

I thereby argue that everyone else in this thread is wrong.
"Who are you, how did you get in my house?" - Donald Knuth

User avatar
SimonM
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:49 pm UTC
Location: Guernsey, CI
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby SimonM » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:08 am UTC

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:
davean wrote:Computer Scientists and programmers never argue about anything. The entire idea for this forum is based on a false premise.


He is right.

What he said is an undeniable fact carved out of pure truth.

I thereby argue that everyone else in this thread is wrong.


We bring note to your use of the word argue
mosc wrote:How did you LEARN, exactly, to suck?

User avatar
OfficiallyHaphazard
Age=postcount/60
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:56 pm UTC

Re: Religious Wars

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:17 am UTC

SimonM wrote:
OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:
davean wrote:Computer Scientists and programmers never argue about anything. The entire idea for this forum is based on a false premise.


He is right.

What he said is an undeniable fact carved out of pure truth.

I thereby argue that everyone else in this thread is wrong.


We bring note to your use of the word argue



Really? I had no idea that I used such a word in my post. (please note the sarcasm this time, as last time I did not pour on quite enough). ;)
"Who are you, how did you get in my house?" - Donald Knuth

User avatar
Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.
Posts: 5491
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 7:32 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby Hammer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:44 pm UTC

Side note: I'm wondering how Davean knew I was wondering yesterday what would happen if you tried to make a thread with the same title as an existing thread. * claws at head *
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

User avatar
davean
Site Ninja
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:50 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby davean » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:08 pm UTC

Oh please people, look at the harmony you are all extruding.

User avatar
tiny
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:34 pm UTC
Location: Below the fifth cellar.
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby tiny » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

I, in my position as html-programmer *dramatic pause to allow lols from the audience*, hereby announce that everyone who works in any language containing the letter C or any vocal, is a total moron.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

User avatar
Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.
Posts: 5491
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 7:32 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby Hammer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:35 pm UTC

tiny wrote:I, in my position as html-programmer *dramatic pause to allow lols from the audience*, hereby announce that everyone who works in any language containing the letter C or any vocal, is a total moron.

Well, either you revere VB programmers or you are a moron since you work with Hypertext Markup Language. Unless of course you did not mean vowel where you typed vocal. :D
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

EvanED
Posts: 4330
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby EvanED » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:48 pm UTC

tiny wrote:I, in my position as html-programmer *dramatic pause to allow lols from the audience*...

I will point out where you fall on this chart: :wink:
Spoiler:
Image

photosinensis
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:17 am UTC

Re: Religious Wars

Postby photosinensis » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:42 am UTC

Even the flamewars we're having here are civil compared to most of the stuff I see on /. or USENET. Of course, it could be because nobody's really trolling much yet. Thus, I may have to find myself actually agreeing with the OP's premise, despite my original reaction.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

User avatar
Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.
Posts: 5491
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 7:32 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby Hammer » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:48 am UTC

photosinensis wrote:Even the flamewars we're having here are civil compared to most of the stuff I see on /. or USENET.

And they will stay that way for as long as I have mod permissions.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

User avatar
tiny
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:34 pm UTC
Location: Below the fifth cellar.
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby tiny » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:59 am UTC

Hammer wrote:
tiny wrote:I, in my position as html-programmer *dramatic pause to allow lols from the audience*, hereby announce that everyone who works in any language containing the letter C or any vocal, is a total moron.

Well, either you revere VB programmers or you are a moron since you work with Hypertext Markup Language. Unless of course you did not mean vowel where you typed vocal. :D
What is VB? :D I *am* a moron when it comes to programming. I never programmed anything, I only put together some iframes and div-tags for my homepage.
I tried to be funny up there. I thought the dramatic pause indicated that. tiny ftl. (meh, at least my bf loughed when I read my post to him)
And thanks for pointing out my vocabulary mistake. Vowel is 'Vokal' in German and I simply forgot that it's not just k->c in English.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

User avatar
Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.
Posts: 5491
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 7:32 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby Hammer » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:02 am UTC

tiny wrote:I tried to be funny up there. I thought the dramatic pause indicated that. tiny ftl. (meh, at least my bf loughed when I read my post to him)

You were funny. I responded with a joke you don't get because you know less terminology than your post implied. :)
And thanks for pointing out my vocabulary mistake. Vowel is 'Vokal' in German and I simply forgot that it's not just k->c in English.

Not pointing out your mistake to be pedantic or anything. I actually found it funny. I'm amused by typos that make other words since I'm very prone to it myself.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

User avatar
notzeb
Without Warning
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:44 am UTC
Location: a series of tubes

Re: Religious Wars

Postby notzeb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:41 am UTC

How can anyone consider themselves superior to assembly programmers?

Even Bruce Schneier is humbled by assembly.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

User avatar
tiny
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:34 pm UTC
Location: Below the fifth cellar.
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby tiny » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:10 am UTC

Hammer wrote:
tiny wrote:And thanks for pointing out my vocabulary mistake. Vowel is 'Vokal' in German and I simply forgot that it's not just k->c in English.
Not pointing out your mistake to be pedantic or anything. I actually found it funny. I'm amused by typos that make other words since I'm very prone to it myself.
So my post actually fulfilled it's purpose, unwittingly as it may have been? Ah. Now I can die at peace :D
And please, feel free to be pedantic with my English. I'm here to improve it (and because I wuv XKCD), so I'm not in the least offended to see my mistakes being highlighted and corrected in one way or another :)

EDIT: Why did I miss your first answer? I am shtoopid or unobservant or both.
*happy dance cause tiny ftw*
Last edited by tiny on Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

User avatar
davean
Site Ninja
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:50 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby davean » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:30 am UTC

notzeb wrote:How can anyone consider themselves superior to assembly programmers?

Even Saladin's Mom is humbled by assembly.


I embed assembly in my LISP.

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8915
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Religious Wars

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

Breaking news: admin trolls own forum. More at 11.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Re: Religious Wars

Postby wing » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:04 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Breaking news: admin trolls own forum. More at 11.

I suspect that when Hammer asked for a Religious Wars forum, davean creamed his pants and screamed "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!!!!!" into the darkness of his mother's basement.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

User avatar
Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.
Posts: 5491
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 7:32 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby Hammer » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:10 am UTC

wing wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:Breaking news: admin trolls own forum. More at 11.

I suspect that when Hammer asked for a Religious Wars forum, davean creamed his pants and screamed "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!!!!!" into the darkness of his mother's basement.

Erm...his reaction was considerably less...vehement.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

User avatar
OfficiallyHaphazard
Age=postcount/60
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:56 pm UTC

Re: Religious Wars

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:10 am UTC

wing wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:Breaking news: admin trolls own forum. More at 11.

I suspect that when Hammer asked for a Religious Wars forum, davean creamed his pants and screamed "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!!!!!" into the darkness of his mother's womb.


Fix'd
Thats what I read at first, instead of basement :P

----
ahem, not that I agree with the aforementioned points ;)
"Who are you, how did you get in my house?" - Donald Knuth

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:50 am UTC

davean wrote:Computer Scientists and programmers never argue about anything. The entire idea for this forum is based on a false premise.

I disagree.
Counterexample: This post. I win!

User avatar
davean
Site Ninja
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:50 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby davean » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:59 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
davean wrote:Computer Scientists and programmers never argue about anything. The entire idea for this forum is based on a false premise.

I disagree.
Counterexample: This post. I win!


Do not!

User avatar
Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.
Posts: 5491
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 7:32 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby Hammer » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:21 pm UTC

davean wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:
davean wrote:Computer Scientists and programmers never argue about anything. The entire idea for this forum is based on a false premise.

I disagree.
Counterexample: This post. I win!

Do not!

Duck season! Rabbit season!
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

User avatar
davean
Site Ninja
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:50 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby davean » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:03 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:
davean wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:
davean wrote:Computer Scientists and programmers never argue about anything. The entire idea for this forum is based on a false premise.

I disagree.
Counterexample: This post. I win!

Do not!

Duck season! Rabbit season!


I'm hunting Rabbit!

User avatar
Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.
Posts: 5491
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 7:32 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Religious Wars

Postby Hammer » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:16 pm UTC

davean wrote:I'm hunting Rabbit!

That would be "Wabbit" you're hunting, I do believe.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."


Return to “Religious Wars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests