Pet Peeves

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

++$_
Mo' Money

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby ++$_ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

People who assume that any sane person would want to program in an IDE.

People who don't bother to learn how to debug their code, and then ask me for help when it doesn't work.

People who use an IDE and then don't use any of the features thereof.

People who say that Perl is unreadable when they haven't learned it yet. (French is unreadable to me, but that's not because it's innately bad.)

People who write Perl as though it were Java. (Then it does become rather hard to read.)

People who don't use the /x flag to organize long regular expressions.

People who don't comment their code.

People who put too many comments in their code, forcing me to read all of them.

People who put a blank line between each line of code.

People who force you to access all features of their class with veryLongVariableNamesLikeThisOneThatAreAPainToTypeAndReadAndAreUsuallyVerySimilarToOneAnotherMakingThemHardToRemember.

People who use Word documents as their portable document format.

People who pronounce "TeX" like "Techs."

People who pronounce "LaTeX" like "Lah Tech." (Correct is "Lay Tech.")

People who don't know how to grep, but try to use the command line anyway.

Programs that are inferior to grep/find in terms of features offered -- and that run more slowly.

People who are very slow at clicking on things, so that it takes them twice as long as it should to do anything in a GUI.

People who refuse to use keyboard shortcuts to do common tasks when it's the best way.

People who end sentence fragments with periods.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:49 am UTC

++$_ wrote:People who don't know how to grep, but try to use the command line anyway.

Uhm... I only know the most basic stuff when it comes to grep, but I still do a lot of stuff on the command line. Like just managing my files, it's faster than loading up a graphical file navigator every time. I don't need to search a lot anyway.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:11 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:When people assume that since I'm a programmer I must be a techie.

No, I won't fix your computer, because I probably don't know how.

I'll be taking Programming 1 next term and I will probably get the same crap almost immediately.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

Dingbats wrote:
++$_ wrote:People who don't know how to grep, but try to use the command line anyway.

Uhm... I only know the most basic stuff when it comes to grep, but I still do a lot of stuff on the command line. Like just managing my files, it's faster than loading up a graphical file navigator every time. I don't need to search a lot anyway.

Sorry, but he's right, you have to learn grep from the man pages - read online of course - before you're allowed to bash* away at the command line. Actually using grep is easily the worst way to learn it.

* See what I did there? :P

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:
Dingbats wrote:

Sorry, but he's right, you have to learn grep from the man pages - read online of course - before you're allowed to bash* away at the command line. Actually using grep is easily the worst way to learn it.

* See what I did there? :P

Ah, so it's for elitist reasons! Then I shall now spend some of my valuable time reading the man page on grep. :) And why not find when I'm at it.

enk

Postby enk » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:01 am UTC

Dingbats wrote:Ah, so it's for elitist reasons! Then I shall now spend some of my valuable time reading the man page on grep. :) And why not find when I'm at it.

I remember not understanding why find part_of_file_name didn't find anything. Then for a period I used find | grep part_of_file_name, but finally I learned find -name *part_of_file_name* :D

Anyways, why not use locate instead?
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Karrion

Postby Karrion » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:05 am UTC

enk wrote:Anyways, why not use locate instead?

Because locate relies on your locate database being up to date; if you need to find a file in a big source tree you've just unpacked, it's not going to help you.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:13 am UTC

enk wrote:
Dingbats wrote:Ah, so it's for elitist reasons! Then I shall now spend some of my valuable time reading the man page on grep. :) And why not find when I'm at it.

I remember not understanding why find part_of_file_name didn't find anything. Then for a period I used find | grep part_of_file_name, but finally I learned find -name *part_of_file_name* :D

I think you forgot some quotes there.

(I've been in exactly that situation, right down to using grep on the results from find. find is still a very complicated command that I don't really know how to use, but I can at least use it to find a file by name now.)

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

i despise people who, instead of helping with your current problem, advise of doing things in a completely different manner.

fuck off assholes and help me fix my god damn problem.

sad thing is this is rampant in the python community.

UPDATE: i instead filed a bug on the Trac, and got a response similar too "you can do it this other way, so this is a non-issue"

what
the
hell
?
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

enk

Postby enk » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:i despise people who, instead of helping with your current problem, advise of doing things in a completely different manner.

fuck off assholes and help me fix my god damn problem.

sad thing is this is rampant in the python community.

UPDATE: i instead filed a bug on the Trac, and got a response similar too "you can do it this other way, so this is a non-issue"

what
the
hell
?

You can just solve the problems in that other way, so this can't be a pet peeve.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

enk wrote:You can just solve the problems in that other way, so this can't be a pet peeve.

yeah it doesnt inconvenience me at all to have to undo everything ive done and redo it this way, which will probably introduce just as many problems.

not to mention, my problem is a fucking bug. fix it. you cant just say "well this other way works so do it that way." bullshit.

enk

Postby enk » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

Easy, there.

I was just poking fun at you :wink:

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

im in an excited fragile mental state, what kind of response were you expecting? :)

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

people who say, "NIC card." Seriously, if you're calling it a NIC to begin with, then you should be smart enough to not call it a network interface card card. UGH!
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

sethicus wrote:people who say, "NIC card." Seriously, if you're calling it a NIC to begin with, then you should be smart enough to not call it a network interface card card. UGH!

ATM machine

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:29 am UTC

See, now I love RAS Syndrome, personally. Makes me laugh.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:50 am UTC

Karrion wrote:
enk wrote:Anyways, why not use locate instead?

Because locate relies on your locate database being up to date; if you need to find a file in a big source tree you've just unpacked, it's not going to help you.

True, but that's a special case.

How frequently can you have updatedb work in your crontab anyway without hitting any noticeable performance hit for regular desktop use?

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

sethicus wrote:people who say, "NIC card." Seriously, if you're calling it a NIC to begin with, then you should be smart enough to not call it a network interface card card. UGH!

But I might be calling it a Network Interface Controller Card.

this forum should have a wikipedia tag
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

enk

Postby enk » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:07 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:this forum should have a wikipedia tag

QFT

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:14 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:this forum should have a wikipedia tag

Quoted for largeness.

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

++$_ wrote:People who pronounce "TeX" like "Techs."

People who pronounce "LaTeX" like "Lah Tech." (Correct is "Lay Tech.")

I thought it should be pronounced like an abbreviation for 'la technologie'
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

People who say ATM MACHINE
People who say GPS SYSTEM
People who say PIN NUMBER

People who think they've come up with something new when in fact, they're just under-read. My roommate has never read Sci-fi, but is a philosophy major, and as such is often saying things to me like "Hey, so in class we heard this awesome concept, what if theres a fake reality in which we all live in, and this reality is run by a huge demon that controls everything so it appears to be entirely lifelike. Are our experiences in this reality false?"

But hey, people who read good fiction can probably have a more informed conversation with anyone on the planet then people who live for their academia (Don't hold me to that)
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

"Environmental" variables.

People at my job do this all the time.

God dammit, they're environment variables. That extra syllable is like nails on a chalkboard.
31/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:People who say ATM MACHINE
People who say GPS SYSTEM
People who say PIN NUMBER

My personal favorite: Microsoft MS-DOS Operating System
Related: On the windows 2000 cd it says "Based on NT technology".
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:Microsoft MS-DOS Operating System

::dies::

I worked for a guy once who "helped me out" with my résumé (this was for a contracting company). He actually did a pretty good job of squeezing a lot of info onto one page without making it seem cluttered, but he did a few things that really irked me, and I changed them immediately upon leaving the company. The biggest one was that he cited my experience with the "Java JNI Interface". Honestly, "native" is easier to say than "jay-en-eye".
31/M/taken/US

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

People who walk slowly and insist on taking up the entire path while doing so. I've often been walking along at a fairly brisk pace when some fat-arse waddles in front of me and ambles idly along, blissfully ignorant of me raging and fuming behind him.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

Kids, Cliques, who form wall-like barriers in school hallways that you want to just pull an Assassin's Creed and just stab someone in the throat or just push them out of the way without getting punched back (or if they're crazy!)

Thank goodness I'm out of high school. I always hated that. Get out of the way or fucking walk faster.

enk

Postby enk » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

The same goes for people who take up all the space on the cycle track. But here, it's accepted that you use a bell, at least.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:Related: On the windows 2000 cd it says "Based on NT technology".

There's an easy argument for this one, at least. It's using "NT" as a proper noun referring to the operating system, rather than an acronym.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
Berengal wrote:Related: On the windows 2000 cd it says "Based on NT technology".

There's an easy argument for this one, at least. It's using "NT" as a proper noun referring to the operating system, rather than an acronym.

Yeah, I don't see a problem with this one since it's pretty clearly referencing the OS.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:26 am UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:
Yeah, I don't see a problem with this one since it's pretty clearly referencing the OS.
I fail to see how that's makes it any better that the others. :?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:Kids, Cliques, who form wall-like barriers in school hallways that you want to just pull an Assassin's Creed and just stab someone in the throat or just push them out of the way without getting punched back (or if they're crazy!)

My friend just pushes them out of the way, and I usually follow him through the gap :).
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:27 am UTC

You know, you CAN say "Excuse me." But I guess it's more fun to swear vengeance, so go ahead and do that if you want.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:12 pm UTC

People who use apostrophe-s to pluralize something. :x

This is first grade grammar, people.

(I'll let it slide for acronyms, though, since that depends entirely on the style guide being employed, although I'm a fan of no apostrophe.)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Spelling and grammar Nazis. Nazi's. Deal with it people. Read the ideas don't get stuck on the presentation. Thats juvenile and only shows you've got tact for missing the point.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

enk

Postby enk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Spelling and grammar Nazis. Nazi's. Deal with it people. Read the ideas don't get stuck on the presentation. Thats juvenile and only shows you've got tact for missing the point.

Yeah.. I can also stop showering and brushing my teeth. What I say and do will be the same, but that doesn't mean people won't think I'm gross!

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Spelling and grammar Nazis. Nazi's. Deal with it people. Read the ideas don't get stuck on the presentation. Thats juvenile and only shows you've got tact for missing the point.

Write bcuz bein able 2 clerely and propperlee maek a point is compleetly unesesary and haz no reel wurld yous.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:57 pm UTC

Oh I'm sorry Mike, was my meaning clear because I put an apostrophe after 'jalapeno'? Yes, i see why that would have been confusing. After all, there wasn't, I dunno, content or anything to infer that I was not indicating possession of said jalapeno, right? Gosh, how EVER did you not spontaneously combust at my ATROCIOUS and JUVENILE communication skills?

Grammer and punctuation nazis. Pet peeve. I worked for one, the woman would have got twice as much work done had she simply corrected her work AFTER she typed shit out.

That was unclear. Apologies.
Last edited by Izawwlgood on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

enk

Postby enk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:... the woman got half as much work done had she simply corrected her work AFTER she typed shit out.

This is an example of bad language. I can't tell if you mean

a) "the woman would have got half as much work done had she simply corrected her work AFTER she typed shit out" or
b) "the woman got half as much work done. Had she simply corrected her work AFTER she typed shit out she would have got more done" or
c) something else.

Edit: a is kinda self-contradictory, so I'd go for b. But then again leaving out periods is just idiotic.

Edit again: Glad it was neither a nor b :wink:

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

k ur rite evry1 shud jus talk in aol spek sinc it dont matta

Return to “Religious Wars”