QWERTY versus Dvorak

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

qbg

Re: QWERTY v Dvorak v xkcd

Postby qbg » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:26 am UTC

joesuburbs wrote:At the time I switched, I believed the stories about August Dvorak and designing the key layout to create key combinations that would not cause jams in manual typewriters... Some people, with more time on their hands than I do believe they have disproved, discredited and debunked claims originally made by Dvorak.

Just so you know, you are referring to Sholes and not Dvorak in the first part of this paragraph.

MHD

Re: QWERTY versus Dvorak

Postby MHD » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

I use almost the entire hand when typing, and the distance I need to move my eyes from keyboard to screen is very small...
EvanED wrote:be aware that when most people say "regular expression" they really mean "something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a regular expression"

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:29 am UTC

I think the main problem with DVORAK is that you can generally never leave your house, and when you do leave your house you must bring your laptop with you. If you happen to be outside your house without a DVORAK-enabled laptop, you will have to type QWERTY on every other computer in the world, which will slow your typing down considerably because you are not used to typing QWERTY. This is especially true of people who are not DVORAK touch-typists. Hunt-and-peck QWERTY typists will zip past you and finish their emails while you are still attempting to type in the subject line.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 pm UTC

webgiant wrote:I think the main problem with DVORAK is that you can generally never leave your house, and when you do leave your house you must bring your laptop with you. If you happen to be outside your house without a DVORAK-enabled laptop, you will have to type QWERTY on every other computer in the world, which will slow your typing down considerably because you are not used to typing QWERTY. This is especially true of people who are not DVORAK touch-typists. Hunt-and-peck QWERTY typists will zip past you and finish their emails while you are still attempting to type in the subject line.

It's easy enough to change the keyboard layout. I've done this for classes.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Ellimist

Postby Ellimist » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

I'm a hunt-and-peck typist who can comfortably type 40 WPM on QWERTY. I'm starting to learn to touch-type; and I decided to learn Dvorak, since it'll be more comfortable for my joints.

Now, I'll be going to Germany in around 10 months for a Masters degree and may settle there for life. Germans use the QWERTZ layout for their keyboards which seems quite similar to QUERTY. Will learning Dvorak detract from my hunt-and-pack QWERTY typing skill? Which layout will be more appropriate for me to learn touch-typing on, considering my future plans?

RarrRaptor

Postby RarrRaptor » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:05 am UTC

I personally prefer Dvorak because it seems more comfortable for my hands somehow, though I wonder if any of the other popular alternatives have this as well. I think it has something to do with the fact that, as a raptor, moving my ring finger or middle finger down below the rest of my fingers is quite awkward. On Dvorak, q, v, j, and w are the awkward keys and those letters are some of the most uncommon. On QWERTY, x, c, comma, and period are, three of which are fairly common.

I also like how quotes, angle brackets, semicolons, and hyphens are placed since I program things.

My brain can switch automatically between layouts with a few seconds of confusion before figuring it out because I trained myself to be able to do that (once you get good again on one, switch to the other, and eventually switching doesn't require relearning), so coming across public computers isn't that much of a bother.

wurlitzer153

Postby wurlitzer153 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

Five pages and no mention of ETAOIN SHRDLU?

And you call yourselves geeks....

Return to “Religious Wars”