Subsilver versus Prosilver

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

zenten

Subsilver versus Prosilver

Postby zenten » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:
thefiddler wrote:
diotimajsh wrote:Sexy! I very much approve. But...
WANT SUBSILVER!

Um... why? The only advantage I've seen that it has is that the avatars are on the left, and that can be fixed...

Woman, are you mad? What possessed you to ask these people a question like that?
Anybody who actually wants to have this fight should feel free to start a thread in Religious Wars instead of having it in this thread. Seriously.

Subsilver looks like a professional webforum, and is quite usable. Prosilver is a garish thing that looks like what would happen if a Flash webdeveloper were to work with a 12 year old girl, decide blue looks good, and then realize that they don't know how to make a forum in Flash, so they used PHP instead.

qbg

Re: Subsilver versus Prosilver

Postby qbg » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Subsilver -- it is actually normal...

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

I prefer Prosilver. I like the avatars on the right. I like the general look and feel better than Subsilver. I like the tabbed layout in the User Control Panel.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:22 am UTC

Hammer wrote:I prefer Prosilver. I like the avatars on the right. I like the general look and feel better than Subsilver. I like the tabbed layout in the User Control Panel.

I agree with all of that except the avatars on the right, but that's mainly because anytime people try pointing to their avatar it ends up pointing at the left side of my monitor.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:31 am UTC

I like the avatars on the left since when I begin reading someones post I can catch their avatar in my peripheral vision, or at least as I scan down to next post. With them on the right I notice my eyes constantly having to dart across the screen to see who is saying what. This is a bad thing. Also, having text too close to edge of a monitor feels unnatural and I find it reads better in the center of the screen. The more I think about it, the less I can understand why they chose to put the avatars on the right.

I have nothing against the looks and colour scheme of either of them though, it's purely a layout thing. The prosilver_left skin leaves too much padding to the right of the avatars, so I'll stick with Subsilver for now.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:14 am UTC

I like the look and feel of subsilver more, it has a neutral colour scheme that's easy on the eyes (prosilver much less so), and I naturally expect the avatars to be on the left, as that's where they are most other places I've seen. Subsilver seems nice and clean, while prosilver is just...what zenten said.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:53 am UTC

I'm giving prosilver_left a shot for a little bit, but it's hard to separate my "that's ugly" reaction from just being used to subsilver. ;-)

At the very least, the "quote" and "edit" buttons aren't adjacent...

Edit: hmm... [code] blocks are presented in a scroll box instead of all at once. Not sure if I like that or not, but I think I don't...

Edit 2: prosilver truncates wide posts and doesn't have full breadcrumbs at the bottom of pages

I'm almost ready to go back...

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:50 am UTC

EvanED wrote:I'm giving prosilver_left a shot for a little bit, but it's hard to separate my "that's ugly" reaction from just being used to subsilver. ;-)

At the very least, the "quote" and "edit" buttons aren't adjacent...

Edit: hmm... [code] blocks are presented in a scroll box instead of all at once. Not sure if I like that or not, but I think I don't...

Edit 2: prosilver truncates wide posts and doesn't have full breadcrumbs at the bottom of pages

I'm almost ready to go back...

Subsilver all the way! Those are some of the main reasons I don't like prosilver. I really could not care less whether the avatar and user info is on the left or the right. Scroll bars for code and pictures suck. Spoiler blocks that don't show where the spoiler ends suck. A button that says "online" or "offline"? Subsilver simplicity. For lack of a better term, subsilver is just more aesthetically functional. I also find it more aesthetically pleasing - nicer colour scheme, prettier quote pyramids, etc. I also hate how hovering your mouse over a topic bar highlights it in prosilver. Highlight should mean I can click and go thru the link, but I can't unless the mouse is right on the text. That's really no change, but at least subsilver doesn't tease me.

Prosilver all the way! I have gotten used to prosilver because I don't log in until I have something to say.* Prosilver has a lot of nice features like the [math] and [imath] tags working. :twisted: In all seriousness, though, alot of helpful info is more easily seen with prosilver, such as when a thread was started. In subsilver you have to hover over the text in order to see when a given thread was started, but in prosilver you can see that for all the threads all at once. Sure, prosilver shrinks the width of posts to all the same size, but that's good! I don't have to worry about breaking my browser window. If I recall correctly (I haven't visited one of those superwide threads recently), superwide posts load faster on prosilver, probably because of that.

Just trying to put most of the pros and cons I've seen and read about together into one post. I'm going to stick with subsilver. I like it. I don't like being forced to look at prosilver while not logged in, but I'll continue to do so. I'd rather look at prosilver until I'm ready to post than break my routine.

*Not seeing the LSR subforum doesn't bother me because I don't have anything to say there, anyhow. I may just be cynical, but I mentally put in the second letter of the first two words whenever I see the abbreviation.
LOWA

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:Sure, prosilver shrinks the width of posts to all the same size, but that's good! I don't have to worry about breaking my browser window.

For a while wide posts would make the whole thread wide... this was incredibly obnoxious. Firefox 3 fixed this (though it now works in FF 2 as well) so that only the wide post requires horizontal scrolling.

Almost all the time, posts that are wide are because of pictures and don't have much text, and in the worst case if you post is too annoying to read, I'll skip it. ;-) In practice this works better than truncating posts IMO.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:41 pm UTC

things i don't like about prosilver (sorted most annoying to least)

1) it's the default so it makes it harder to tell if i'm logged in or not
2) overly animated icons (new post)
3) brighter colours
4) avatars in the wrong place

things i like

1) control panel tabs
2) switching back to subsilver
in ur beanz makin u eveel

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

I used to be subsilver, but I recently changed so I could see the math tags. Besides that, I haven't really felt a lack of anything during browsing.

Edit: Except that I keep clicking save instead of submit. But I'm not sure if that was already there in subsilver as well...

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:15 am UTC

M.qrius wrote:I used to be subsilver, but I recently changed so I could see the math tags. Besides that, I haven't really felt a lack of anything during browsing.

Edit: Except that I keep clicking save instead of submit. But I'm not sure if that was already there in subsilver as well...

Save is in subsilver, too. Also, a technicality, since this is the religious wars forum after all: you can't see the actual (successful) tags in either skin. You simply see the results from those tags being applied. In subsilver, [math] tags do nothing but become invisible. Finally, real geeks/nerds/whatever-your-preference-is can read LaTeX code as well as the LaTeX compiler, so LaTeX code being compiled in prosilver isn't really a good argument for prosilver. Though I wouldn't mind subsilver LaTeX compiling.
LOWA

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Using the firefox extension Stylish along with the script I'm putting under the spoiler tag will put the prosilver avatars back on the left side of your screen. This also fixes the truncation of wide posts problem.

Prosilver+script is superior.

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document url-prefix("http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php"), url-prefix("http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php") {

ul.profile-icons {
       margin-right: 45px !important;
    }

.postprofile {
       border-left-width: 0px !important;
       border-right: 1px solid #FFFFFF !important;
       float: left !important;
    }

.postbody {
       float: right !important;
    }

}

EDIT: We have a prosilver_left that fixes this? I clearly need to pay more attention to this sort of thing.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:09 am UTC

Antimatter Spork wrote:EDIT: We have a prosilver_left that fixes this? I clearly need to pay more attention to this sort of thing.

If it fixes the truncation in the right way it's still useful. I'll give it a try when I'm less lazy; thanks.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

I dislike the width of the avatar section in prosilver_left; I think it's because it prints out location on one line instead of wrapping it around to keep it thin.

The color scheme of subsilver is just so much more pleasing to me.

Other than that... most of the changes I don't notice. I'm used to the various subsilver icons, but I'm starting to be used to prosilver icons.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:13 am UTC

Antimatter Spork wrote:Using the firefox extension Stylish along with the script I'm putting under the spoiler tag will put the prosilver avatars back on the left side of your screen. This also fixes the truncation of wide posts problem.

Prosilver+script is superior.

Spoiler:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document url-prefix("http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php"), url-prefix("http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php") {

ul.profile-icons {
       margin-right: 45px !important;
    }

.postprofile {
       border-left-width: 0px !important;
       border-right: 1px solid #FFFFFF !important;
       float: left !important;
    }

.postbody {
       float: right !important;
    }

}

EDIT: We have a prosilver_left that fixes this? I clearly need to pay more attention to this sort of thing.
Huh. Looks like it's pretty much the same as prosilver+stylish script. Also, for the record, subsilver+stylish script doesn't look very good. And having taken a look at the fora while logged in on prosilver, I can now fathom why some people would want to hit the button that marks everything as read. Those red unread icons are nauseous. Yup. I'm sticking with subsilver while logged in and no stylish script. User info on the left vs. right is not a big deal.

<- must now submit message
must now vomit ->
See? Not that bad.
LOWA

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:21 pm UTC

I finally switched to prosilver_left just so that I could see the equations (never had the need to learn to read LaTeX).

God, it's horrible. The worst part is that I have to try *really hard* to tell the Read and Unread posts and forums apart, as I can just barely see the difference between the red and the blue.

There will be a stylish script for this very, very soon. It's honestly easier on my eyes to just shut down *all* styles for the moment. Luckily that's just a Ctrl-Shift-S away for me (thanks, Web Development Console addon!).
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:04 am UTC

Welp, spent some time with Stylish, and I'm much happier with prosilver now. Basically I just shut down everything that I didn't need (have a *huge* list of things getting display: none) and turned off all the backgrounds (except for the post backgrounds, because it's a lot easier to read). There were a few more small tweaks for usability, but otherwise I've got a wonderfully stripped-down version of the forums *and* latex support! Woo!

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Would you mind showing your stylish code (perhaps spoilerised) to share with those that have never had the need to learn to write Stylish?
LOWA

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:22 am UTC

I like prosilver. What I don't like is the mindset that a professional or accessible web page has to be ugly. If you run your design through the validator and make sure that lynx users can read it, you can add as many rounded corners as you want. I find prosilver easy on the eyes, and I also am a fan of light blue shades. :)

---

I start reading on the left side of the screen, and I'm more interested in what you say than who says it. So I'm happy with the author column being on the right hand side.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:Would you mind showing your stylish code (perhaps spoilerised) to share with those that have never had the need to learn to write Stylish?

Certainly, but I'm not quite done. I was doing it late Monday night at work and had to head home. It's sufficiently good for me right now, but is missing some things that others would, I'm sure, find useful, so give me a few minutes to finish it up.

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:I like prosilver. What I don't like is the mindset that a professional or accessible web page has to be ugly. If you run your design through the validator and make sure that lynx users can read it, you can add as many rounded corners as you want. I find prosilver easy on the eyes, and I also am a fan of light blue shades. :)

Prosilver is hideous. That's the problem. If it actually did look good I'd switch to it in a heartbeat.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Prosilver is hideous.

Really? I've always though subsilver was quite hideous.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:18 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:

I'm in agreement with Zenten. I *really* don't like the Prosilver theme. Subsilver is nice and clean. Far from perfect, but it works.

Now, the moment you've been waiting for, my Stylish script for amending Prosilver and making it usable. This won't be perfect for everyone, but the great part about CSS is that it's at least pretty easy to figure out what's going on. If I've removed something that you want to keep (like the announcements or sticky threads), just remove the line that talks about them. You may also need to adjust the read/unread coloring lines, since I think that those posts use a different icon.
Spoiler:

@-moz-document domain(forums.xkcd.com) {

.corners-top, .corners-bottom, .headerbar, .linklist.rightside,  page-body > ul, #page-body > p, #page-body > h3, #page-footer, span + .topiclist, dl.icon dd, .announcement, .sticky, .postprofile dd, .backtotop, .signature, .postprofile, form#jumpbox
{ display: none !important; }

.post.bg1 { background-color: #eee !important; }
.post.bg2 { background-color: #ddd !important; }

.profile-icons * { display: inline !important; }
.profile-icons > li { width: 90px !important; }

* { background: none !important; }

.postbody { float: none !important; width: auto !important; }

.row dt { width: auto !important; }

dl.icon { border-left: thick solid deepskyblue !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read_hot_mine.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"],
dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read_mine.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick solid blue !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_unread_hot.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"],
dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_unread.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"],
dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/forum_unread.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick solid red !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/forum_unread_subforum.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick double red !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_unread_hot_mine.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"],
dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_unread_mine.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick solid darkred !important; }

}

Edit: Also up at Userstyles.org. If you use this link, it'll always be up-to-date in Stylish.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Thu May 01, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:

I'm in agreement with Zenten. I *really* don't like the Prosilver theme. Subsilver is nice and clean. Far from perfect, but it works.

Now, the moment you've been waiting for, my Stylish script for amending Prosilver and making it usable. This won't be perfect for everyone, but the great part about CSS is that it's at least pretty easy to figure out what's going on. If I've removed something that you want to keep (like the announcements or sticky threads), just remove the line that talks about them. You may also need to adjust the read/unread coloring lines, since I think that those posts use a different icon.
Spoiler:

.corners-top, .corners-bottom, .headerbar, .linklist.rightside,  page-body > ul, #page-body > p, #page-body > h3, #page-footer, span + .topiclist, dl.icon dd, .announcement, .sticky, .postprofile dd, .backtotop, .signature, .postprofile, form#jumpbox

.post.bg1 { background-color: #eee !important; }
.post.bg2 { background-color: #ddd !important; }

* { background: none !important; }

.postbody { float: none !important; width: auto !important; }

.row dt { width: auto !important; }

dl.icon { border-left: thick solid deepskyblue !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read_hot_mine.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"],
dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read_mine.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick solid blue !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_unread_hot.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"],
dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_unread.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"],
dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/forum_unread.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick solid red !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/forum_unread_subforum.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick double red !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_unread_hot_mine.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"],
dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_unread_mine.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick solid darkred !important; }

}

Edit: Also up at Userstyles.org. If you use this link, it'll always be up-to-date in Stylish.

Wow. That's alot more stripped down than I was expecting. But thanks alot, since it's much easier (for someone like me) to unstrip than figure out what else can be stripped. It still doesn't address one of my biggest beefs, though. I DO NOT WANT Scroll bars that just surround [code] tagged stuff so that I can only see 13 1/2 lines of code at a time. Likewise with the truncation of wideness - I want to be able to scroll sideways if necessary. That's something you can't always do in prosilver before it truncates.

I took the code you posted and changed a couple of things for myself. For instance, I do want to see announcements and stickies, so I brought those back and gave them colored borders, much like the regular topic threads. And I changed the color scheme somewhat - not sure what I want yet. Something that I haven't figured out is if I want the background to be a certain color, how can I do that without it covering the colors in .post.bg1 and .post.bg2 (except for a small border on either side)? Here's what I have:
Spoiler:

.corners-top, page-body > ul, #page-body > p, #page-body > h3, form#jumpbox

.post.bg1 { background-color: #def !important; }
.post.bg2 { background-color: #eef !important; }

* { background: #bcd !important;}

dl.icon { border-left: thick solid blue !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/announce_read_mine.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"],
{ border-left: thick solid deepskyblue !important; }

{ border-left: thick solid orange !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/forum_unread_subforum.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"],
dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_unread_locked.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"],
dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/announce_unread_locked.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick double orange !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_unread_mine.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"],
dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/announce_unread_mine.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick solid yellow !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/announce_read_locked.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"],
dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read_locked.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick double blue !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/sticky_unread.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick solid #8fa !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/sticky_unread_locked.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick double #8fa !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/sticky_unread_mine.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick solid #8aa !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/sticky_read.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick solid #497 !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/sticky_read_locked.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick double #497 !important; }

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/sticky_read_mine.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick solid #477 !important; }

}
I haven't figured out what most of the remaining "display: none !important" items do yet.
LOWA

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri May 02, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Kill the scrollbars with this code (added to the Userstyles.org code now):

code, .attach-image { max-height: none !important; }
* { max-width: none !important; }

I *think* the second line might stretch every post if a single one goes large, though. Does anybody know how subsilver does it on single posts? I could find out, but I'm too lazy to switch back and hunt it down. However, the first line works just fine. If you find anything else that has a maximum height, just add it to that line (or let me know and I'll tell you what to add).

((Hmm. I wonder if it sets a max-width on the container, then does an overflow: visible on the individual posts? That might work. I need to find a stretchy post to test it on.))

If you want to do any CSS development, especially reverse-engineering like you do with Stylish, you *need* to go download the Firebug extension. With that, you can just right-click on anything in the page, hit "Select Element", and get taken immediately to that element in a tree-view of the page structure. You can see all the CSS rules that are triggering on it, check out the attributes of it and its surrounding elements easily, and even play with the code directly and have it update live. Creating the theme was mostly just a matter of right-clicking on things I didn't want, finding a good way to target them, and then adding them to the display:none line. For information on just what everything in CSS does, head over to HTMLDog. It's my favorite resource for that sort of stuff.

Edit: Also, what did you want a background on? You can set a background on whatever you want, and as long as it's 'behind' the posts it won't cover up their background (where behind is generally defined as "an ancestor of in the html structure")

Edit2: Gah, I can't stop twerking this. Made some more changes to the Userstyles sheet. Specifically, this:

p.author { margin-top: .5em !important; }

.author strong { font-size: medium !important; }

It makes the author's name stand out more, since I killed the entire user column. You probably won't need it, zenten, since it seems that you've restored that.

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri May 02, 2008 2:50 am UTC

So are people just modifying Prosilver until it is simply Subsilver with the math stuff?

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Fri May 02, 2008 2:55 am UTC

I would love a light text on black background theme.
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri May 02, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

For a really simple version that does precisely what you ask, use this:

* { background: black !important; }

* { color: white !important; }

}

Change the colors as necessary, using these color names.

HappySmileMan

Postby HappySmileMan » Fri May 02, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

I'm using prosilver with avatars on left... I think the space given for avatars and user info is too wide though, there's some empty space to the right of the avatars and stuff, I don't think it happened in subsilver (maybe I just didn't notice it)

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Tue May 06, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:For a really simple version that does precisely what you ask, use this:

* { background: black !important; }

* { color: white !important; }

}

Change the colors as necessary, using these color names.
userContent.css?
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Tue May 06, 2008 10:45 am UTC

HappySmileMan wrote:I'm using prosilver with avatars on left... I think the space given for avatars and user info is too wide though, there's some empty space to the right of the avatars and stuff, I don't think it happened in subsilver (maybe I just didn't notice it)

You aren't misremembering things - subsilver really does have better margins. Apparently it has a fixed width for the user info that perfectly accommodates it, whereas prosilver has variable width that (I guess) would accommodate small screens. Which means it's wastefully huge if you have a wide-screen monitor. Edit: Ah! Found the thread that refers to this in S/FI

I also added another twerk to my stylish mod of prosilver - moved topics now have a black left border

dl.icon[style="background-image: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_moved.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"]
{ border-left: thick solid black !important; }
This came about because I necro'd a thread and then had to figure out why it showed up as if I had read the thread but hadn't posted in it. Gotta hand it to the mods at how quick they were with the move.

zenten wrote:So are people just modifying Prosilver until it is simply Subsilver with the math stuff?
Damn straight! At least, that's more or less my motivation. Something more aesthetically pleasing than prosilver. My modifications aren't going to look like subsilver, but I find what I have so far is significantly less annoying than the normal prosilvers.

Xanthir wrote:Edit: Also, what did you want a background on? You can set a background on whatever you want, and as long as it's 'behind' the posts it won't cover up their background (where behind is generally defined as "an ancestor of in the html structure")
Response, spoilered for length
Spoiler:
Okay, here are some bits of screenshots that illustrate what my problem is:
NObackground.jpg
white background = invisible stuff that I want to see.
NObackground.jpg (56.04 KiB) Viewed 10530 times
Adjacent posts have different background colors. Cool! But I don't want the background behind them to be white, so I tried making its color #bcd:
backgroundINfront.jpg
background in front = hard to tell where posts begin and end.
backgroundINfront.jpg (144.81 KiB) Viewed 10528 times
As you can see, the main background color covered up most of the backgrounds that used to separate posts. this happens whether I have

or

Edit: found a post that has prosilver width borken... on text.
LOWA

masher

Postby masher » Tue May 06, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:
zenten wrote:So are people just modifying Prosilver until it is simply Subsilver with the math stuff?
Damn straight! At least, that's more or less my motivation. Something more aesthetically pleasing than prosilver. My modifications aren't going to look like subsilver, but I find what I have so far is significantly less annoying than the normal prosilvers.

So how do I apply those changes?

I do like subsilver, but do want maths symbols.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Tue May 06, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164 06286 20899 86280 34825 34211 70679 82148 08651 32823 06647 09384 46095 50582 23172 53594 08128 48111 74502 84102 70193 85211 05559 64462 29489 54930 38196
is what should show up in that link, but with spaces removed. In prosilver (left, standard, modded out with the stylish stuff I have, Firefox, or Safari (don't know about IE, but I suspect the same)) I see that in one line that is truncated because of the width not adjusting for wide posts. And I've got a wide-screen monitor, so I imagine it's worse truncation for others. Subsilver makes the post wider so that you can actually see what's there.

masher wrote:
Nimz wrote:

So how do I apply those changes?

I do like subsilver, but do want maths symbols.
To mod out your prosilver experience you can use the Firefox add-on called Stylish. You should be able to find free downloads for both Firefox and Stylish if you don't already have both. Xanthir posted some Stylish code, and I've posted some of my own modifications to that after playing around with it a little. Another possibility is to browse the fora in subsilver, and when you find a thread with [math] or [imath] tags open a different browser to that thread. E.g. I've found that logging in using Firefox has no effect on whether I'm logged in using Safari, and vice versa. I'm toying with going back to doing that, but I want to give Stylish (and those that know more about it than I do) a bit of a chance.
LOWA

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue May 06, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164 06286 20899 86280 34825 34211 70679 82148 08651 32823 06647 09384 46095 50582 23172 53594 08128 48111 74502 84102 70193 85211 05559 64462 29489 54930 38196
is what should show up in that link, but with spaces removed.

Ah, now I see what you're talking about. I didn't notice at first since it doesn't truncate at 1920x1200 and when I resized, it conveniently ended in between the numbers, so I didn't notice it was truncated.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Wed May 07, 2008 12:48 am UTC

Funny. Prosilver + IE does something similar to subsilver on that wide post in that it widens the individual post. It looks like the message box pushes out the avatar box until it fills the whole screen width. At that point the avatar box has already been pushed down next to the sig. I wonder what happens when the sig is just as wide as the post. And by the way, I'm jealous now, with my 1680x1050 monitor, of your 1920x1200.
LOWA

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed May 07, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:Funny. Prosilver + IE does something similar to subsilver on that wide post in that it widens the individual post.

I don't know what version of IE you are using, but 8 treats it exactly the same as Opera, Firefox, and Safari.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Wed May 07, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:And by the way, I'm jealous now, with my 1680x1050 monitor, of your 1920x1200.

If it makes you feel any better, he's far from the best here. I have two.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu May 08, 2008 12:43 am UTC

Master Gunner wrote:If it makes you feel any better, he's far from the best here. I have two.

Oh, who said I only have one monitor? (1x1920x1200, 2x2048x1536*)

*not that I ever use either one, and it requires hacks to get that high

And more on topic: Prosilver rocks!

Return to “Religious Wars”