Ubuntu flavor

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

badgerzilla

Ubuntu flavor

Postby badgerzilla » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

I'm doing a system build to get my first one out of the way before ruining $2000 of parts, and I have decided that (a) I'm not paying for windows and (b) I want to try linux/fall in love with it/have have open-source babies with it.

Others not nearly so loving of FOSS/hacking around for 4 hours to get THAT DAMN SPEAKER TO WORK will be using it, and as such, I'm going with ubuntu. Now, the question remains, which flavor?

I'm leaning towards vanilla (GNOME) but KDE is also under consideration. Under these circumstances, which one?

Mods: if this belongs in help desk, sorry, wasn't sure.
kuraimiko wrote:crap. im screwed. theres no way to fun from invisible chuck n0rris.

Per the request of the sender of that IM, that was a typo.

ash.gti

Re: Ubuntu flavor

Postby ash.gti » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

Why not both?

You can install both and select which one you want to use on login. Or add others too. Then try them out, and remove the ones you don't want. You'd have to install it after the OS is installed but its not hard to have both on the same system.
# drinks WAY to much espresso

badgerzilla

Postby badgerzilla » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Maybe, but a key here is making it have to be as twerked as little as possible. I don't want to have my mom awake me from a nap to help her 'cuz she can't be arsed to figure it out. Also, I probably will never summon the willpower to remove the loser.

However, it's under consideration. BTW, is LT's endorsement of KDE meaningful at all to me?

Plus, w/ GNOME, I don't have to deal with rebrandings and obnoxious tackons of "K" to programs, but then again, KDE is easier to read (important for my mom).

Basically, I need something usable and transferable-to from winXP (she at least has the common sense to hate Vista).

Not ReactOS, but reasonable. She has had a small amount of Red Hat experience for work, but said work experience is all scripting/database work (basically, scripting in SQL). It seems, however, that this is ironically useless for what I need.

Basically, I am clueless. And I'd like to see a good flamewar to give me a clue.
kuraimiko wrote:crap. im screwed. theres no way to fun from invisible chuck n0rris.

Tarrantula

Postby Tarrantula » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

Gnome seems to look and run a lot smoother in my experience so far. Particularly because Ubuntu is much more optimized/pre-tweaked then Kubuntu. I've also found that back when I had it dual booted on the family computer (several years ago) even my mother could sit down and use it relatively comfortably. Linus's problem with Gnome iirc is that they keep taking power away from the user as far as the interface is concerned. Which is a good thing in your case.

Hope my post helps.

(BTW: I use xfce + Slackware on my computers not Ubuntu, so this is all from past experience not relatively recently.)

badgerzilla

Postby badgerzilla » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

That helps. I mean, what I need to do is nowhere near what Linus does (i.e., killing microsoft), so I guess I'll be fine. Not dealing with "IceWeasel" and similar rebranding-cuz-mozilla-licensed-a-fox-drawing foolishness or attaching a K to everything.

Vanilla ubuntu being more "tuned" also helps; I don't want to work any more than I have to.

GNOME is where I'm leaning, but this computer isn't getting built for a while, so input is still welcome.

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

Maybe read this viewtopic.php?f=40&t=15144

Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars! thread has a lot about Gnome, KDE, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu
# drinks WAY to much espresso

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

badgerzilla wrote:Plus, w/ GNOME, I don't have to deal with rebrandings and obnoxious tackons of "K" to programs, but then again, KDE is easier to read (important for my mom).
No, you have to deal with the tacking on of "G" to programs. ;-) (Okay, maybe a little less so, but still so.)

qbg

Postby qbg » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

I use Kubuntu (with KDE 3.5.x) and it works great out of the box. The applications are great too. I don't know what you mean by "I don't have to deal with rebrandings"; firefox is still firefox in Kubuntu.

You can always install Kubuntu then GNOME and vice-versa.

badgerzilla

Postby badgerzilla » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:13 am UTC

qbg wrote:I use Kubuntu (with KDE 3.5.x) and it works great out of the box. The applications are great too. I don't know what you mean by "I don't have to deal with rebrandings"; firefox is still firefox in Kubuntu.

You can always install Kubuntu then GNOME and vice-versa.

I was under the impression that KDE rebrands firefox as iceweasel. Maybe Kubuntu doesn't; in any case, it's a fairly minor concern (although I have been known to become murderous at the sight of too many Ks at once).

What I'm asking is for the most user-friendly desktop (especially for bad eyes) that requires the least amount of dicking around to reach a usable state.

Should it be neutral, I'll go with GNOME for the sake of it being more common (ie, easier to get help).

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:07 am UTC

badgerzilla wrote:I was under the impression that KDE rebrands firefox as iceweasel. Maybe Kubuntu doesn't...
KDE doesn't have anything to do with Firefox AFAIK. That's Debian that rebrands it, which means that it doesn't matter which desktop environment you use.

badgerzilla

Postby badgerzilla » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:11 am UTC

Point made- I guess my wikisurfing got mixed up somewhere. However, aside from that, is the consensus on GNOME for my situation? It would seem that way.

qbg

Postby qbg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:41 am UTC

badgerzilla wrote:What I'm asking is for the most user-friendly desktop (especially for bad eyes) that requires the least amount of dicking around to reach a usable state.

Aside from what Kubuntu gives you, all I can remember changing (WRT KDE) is the wallpaper, a few settings in Konqueror, adding an Emacs icon to kicker, and installing more KDE applications.

IMO, if KDE isn't the most user-friendly desktop (for common definitions of user-friendly), then it is certainly close enough.

sakeniwefu

Postby sakeniwefu » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

I have found that XFCE over vanilla Ubuntu provides the best user experience for the least configuration. XFCE themes are easier to use and nicer than their GNOME and KDE counterparts. Oh, and XFCE panels actually hide when you tell them to autohide.

b1collector

Postby b1collector » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:29 am UTC

I personally love Xubuntu. Honestly though, go with GNOME to begin with, it is the easiest out of the box in my opinion. If you feel like you want to play around, install KDE or XFCE4 or whatever desktop environment catches your eye, you can have more then one. Choosing one at the start does not lock you into always using that desktop environment. The only real difference other then the desktop is the applications that are installed and most of those are cross compatible (although not always pretty).

I use xfce4 because I find it easy to customize. I am funny about how my desktop looks and I love right clicking the desktop to get to my application menu.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

I'm not too sure about that talk about Kubuntu being more "twerked". After all, the GUI is such a small part of the OS, and there is, as others have mentioned, a great deal of interoperability between Gnome and KDE programs. Furthermore, both Kubuntu and Ubuntu are officially supported, so there shouldn't be a problem. I would not recommend KDE 4.0.* if you want stability, though (Ubuntu uses that, right?), since it has been written from scratch and still has some bugs to be fixed.

It's mostly a matter of taste, which one can rant about endlessly. Look at some screenshots or test both from livecd:s.

Oh, also, in my experience, KDE has been a little faster on older computers, though Xubuntu beats them both.
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

qbg

Postby qbg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

mat-tina wrote:I would not recommend KDE 4.0.* if you want stability, though (Ubuntu uses that, right?), since it has been written from scratch and still has some bugs to be fixed.

Kubuntu 8.04 uses 3.5.x. KDE4 is available in the repository though.

iain

Postby iain » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

b1collector wrote:Honestly though, go with GNOME to begin with, it is the easiest out of the box in my opinion.

Agreed - I've tried {Ku,Xu,U}buntu, and find GNOME works nicely, and unobtrusively. I personally didn't like the K desktop environment very much. I was happy with Xfce - except that I had to keep killing processes every few days, due to a memory leak (not just me). In fact, I like the Xfce file manager, Thunar, so much that I almost-exclusively use it in place of Nautilus. (sudo apt-get install thunar)

Neureo900

Postby Neureo900 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

I very, very much dislike KDE. Xfce was...okay. I have to say GNOME is my favorite of all three: not too minimalist, not too bloated. It just works.

Hyena

Postby Hyena » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:45 am UTC

Ubuntu Christian Edition. :D
(well, the topic doesn't specify that it just has to be window managers...)
i'm a fan of Kubuntu, but i reckon that Xubuntu does the most cake-taking. This is only because i really, really dislike GNOME (because of the lack of configurability.)

If you dont need much configuring (or just dont fiddle with stuff as much as i do) then by all means, go vanilla.
Nougatrocity wrote:I refute it with having several female friends that OH MY GOD I WANT TO SEX. But that doesn't get in the way of friendship.

badgerzilla

Postby badgerzilla » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:05 am UTC

@Hyena- what the hell?

I'm looking like I'll go vanilla to start out, and then probably migrate to KDE or XFCE. However, for computer build #1, it's looking like GNOME would be the least bother.

Delta_50

Postby Delta_50 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:21 am UTC

I would go with gnome. I recently put it on my laptop (the one im using right now actually) and it worked prefectly. All the basic needs worked with no twerking. Although, I don't have much experince with the KDE so my opinion may be bias.

wr3cktangle

Postby wr3cktangle » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

I like my linux like I like my women, not bloated with kde.
Maxim 33. When faced with the unusual, self-destruct.
My blog

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:04 am UTC

Gnome is small and ugly, KDE is big and beautiful.

Enlightenment is both lithe and pretty.

On that basis, I'd recommend one of the four E17-based Ubuntu distros.

Course, I actually hate Ubuntu so maybe you shouldn't listen to me...

;-)

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

KDE because i dont like being treated like an idiot.
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Return to “Religious Wars”