Consoles: Buy now or wait for later gen?

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Altercator

Consoles: Buy now or wait for later gen?

Postby Altercator » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

Would you prefer buying the PS3, Wii or Xbox360 now, or wait for later generations of consoles?

Arguments for waiting:
The later gens will definitely have improved graphics,improved internal hardware and, please Lord, improved control scheme that is not the joypad.

If I save now, I have enough moolah to buy the latest gen console, and probably buy the PS3 & Wii in the bargains.

What about you?

Avelion

Re: Consoles: Buy now or wait for later gen?

Postby Avelion » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:03 am UTC

Xbox 360 has the best library by far at the moment. I buy all generation consoles so not sure how to answer when to buy it. Also what the hell is a joypad?
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:22 am UTC

I have a Wii at the moment and a DS. I don't mind not having a huge library of games because I'm too busy to play much anyway. My DS fills most of the gaming though, since I can pull it out and put some time down on something pretty much anytime, anywhere.

codyhotel

Postby codyhotel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

Judging by the amount of time between releases of previous generations, then taking into account the fact that the advancement of technology grows somewhat exponentially rather then arithmatically, one would assume the the Eighth Generation of console gaming should come out sometime between late 2010 to spring 2011.

So if you want to wait another 2 years to buy your next console, feel free, but if you ask me (which you have by posting here) I would definitely recommend buying one now. I love my Wii, its a wonderful machine.
Philwelch wrote:Would a prostitution enthusiast be a buy-sexual?

...sorry.

LittleKey

Postby LittleKey » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

I'd say buy now. I have a Wii and a PS3 (Wii is good, but if you're a hardcore gamer, nah uh. nintendo is leaning toward the casual gamers now, as you probably know.) I've had the Wii for over a year, and I really don't use it much. But recently I got a nice 80GB PS3, and I love it. I would definitely say it's worth it.

codyhotel

Postby codyhotel » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

LittleKey wrote:I'd say buy now. I have a Wii and a PS3 (Wii is good, but if you're a hardcore gamer, nah uh. nintendo is leaning toward the casual gamers now, as you probably know.) I've had the Wii for over a year, and I really don't use it much. But recently I got a nice 80GB PS3, and I love it. I would definitely say it's worth it.

Didn't feel like waiting for the 160GB release?

...sorry.

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:30 am UTC

Mmmmmmmm

Hardcore Gamer

I used to be one of those...

Not so much any more...

Now I'm a hardcore DS gamer :-)

Yuffie

Postby Yuffie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:01 am UTC

What do you want to play? There's no point in buying a console if there's nothing to do with it, unless it's a PS3.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImageRawr.

Mr_Meister

Postby Mr_Meister » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:33 am UTC

I will be buying a PS3 shortly probably. I think it'll be some time before it becomes obsolete.

I also have a PSP (which is part of the reason i want a PS3) and also a DS.
Pride of the South since 1990

creativename

Postby creativename » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:35 am UTC

I have a PS1, PS2, and PS3. I got the PS1 in 1998, and all the others about 18 months after the launch. I'm not a Playstation partisan or really a serious gamer at all, but that's what I have. I actually have very few games for any of those consoles. I have maybe 8 for the PS1, and probably 1/2 of them are gifts from relatives and really suck. I have about a dozen for the PS2, and all but 5 or 6 are crappy gifts. I have 2 for the PS3, one of which came with the console and sucks. Someday, after I get my degree and move out etc., I'm planning to go back and fill out my library with all the great games I'm probably missing out on.

In my case, it might've not really made too much sense to buy current-gen consoles in the first place.

LittleKey

Postby LittleKey » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

codyhotel wrote:
LittleKey wrote:I'd say buy now. I have a Wii and a PS3 (Wii is good, but if you're a hardcore gamer, nah uh. nintendo is leaning toward the casual gamers now, as you probably know.) I've had the Wii for over a year, and I really don't use it much. But recently I got a nice 80GB PS3, and I love it. I would definitely say it's worth it.

Yeah, for some reason I didn't want to wait =/. And there's also two valid reasons why. First, doesn't it come bundled with Uncharted? I knew I would buy MGS4 eventually, so I got the MGS4 bundle. Uncharted doesn't really interest me. And secondly, none of the new 80GBS are back compatible, I can guarantee you that the 160GB wouldn't be either. But mine is, because the MGS4 bundle is stocked with an older PS3 that DOES have full backwards compatibility.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

LittleKey wrote:
codyhotel wrote:

Yeah, for some reason I didn't want to wait =/. And there's also two valid reasons why. First, doesn't it come bundled with Uncharted? I knew I would buy MGS4 eventually, so I got the MGS4 bundle. Uncharted doesn't really interest me. And secondly, none of the new 80GBS are back compatible, I can guarantee you that the 160GB wouldn't be either. But mine is, because the MGS4 bundle is stocked with an older PS3 that DOES have full backwards compatibility.

...Perhaps my conception of codyhotel's remark as sarcasm was incorrect.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

90% of my PS3 usage is as a DVD/Blu-Ray player/media center. Which is good since it means less use of the 360, which is now solely used for gaming.

codyhotel

Postby codyhotel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

Fat Tony wrote:
LittleKey wrote:
codyhotel wrote:

...Perhaps my conception of codyhotel's remark as sarcasm was incorrect.

very

...sorry.

Return to “Religious Wars”