Firefox 3 v.s. Google Chrome?

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

HPDDJ

Firefox 3 v.s. Google Chrome?

Postby HPDDJ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

Which browser do you prefer? Is either browser better than the other? If I'm using the 'fox, should I switch over, or not?

semicolon

Re: Firefox 3 v.s. Google Chrome?

Postby semicolon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

Opera!

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

3 words Firefox Firefox Firefox. Keep the faith in firefox. I'm all for keeping an open mind but there's no way anything can compete with firefox. And if anyone tells me it's just a browser... and also I can't fucking type at the moment :x :x

toshiro

Postby toshiro » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

There's no real competition, since there's only a windows version. I'll take a look at it once it's out for OS X.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

I was going to try it out, but there is no Windows 2k version. Ah, well. I'll wait.

When the linux version is released, I'll give you an answer on whether I will keep it or not. That said, a lot of the features are revolutionary, so I hope they will be implemented in Firefox at some point.

And what's this crap about not using a Javascript VM previously? I would have thought that at least FF had one, since the whole chrome* system is based on XUL.

*Google Chrome is a crappy name. Searching for "firefox + chrome" is bound to fail, I presume.

EDIT: Oh, and also I'm addicted to Ubiquity, so it needs to be really awesome for me to change for good.
Last edited by mat-tina on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

ashadocat

Postby ashadocat » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

I prefer Firefox because of the addon support and the fact that it's overall more mature. once chrome supports an extensive list of addons (ie: stumbleupon) and works on linux I'll probably switch to chrome (although I don't like the bsd license)
I'm only doing this for my post count.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:22 pm UTC

Calling it chrome is conflicting with some of the Fx background stuff isn't it?
Also, I like Ubiquity on Fx.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

wst wrote:Calling it chrome is conflicting with some of the Fx background stuff isn't it?
Also, I like Ubiquity on Fx.

Yes.

Slightly off topic for those interested and have no idea what we are referring to:
Try typing this into the address bar: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul.
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:Opera!
QFT!

I'll stick with opera, kthx. I might download Chrome to see what's different about it, but I expect I'll be sticking to the big red O.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

it seems to me that Chrome is a lot more of a direct competitor with Opera than Firefox.
It's a light weight, minimalist browser with a lot of the same feel as Opera, but without addons it can't compete with Firefox.
I'll be sticking with Firefox as my primary browser, but I might just switch Opera out for Chrome as my back-up/light-weight browser of choice.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

Thing about Chrome is,

a) Obviously, no ad blocking
b) Google gets to log every webpage you visit. It's in the fine print.

For those reasons, I'm hesitant. I mean, I hear it's fast and nice-looking, but it's obvious that the goal of this thing is to get more people seeing ads and get more information with which to target ads. Hell, they could conceivably alter the google ads you see depending on what sites you visit.

I likes my firefox with AdBlocker and all sorts of other purdy extensions.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:Thing about Chrome is,

For those reasons, I'm hesitant. I mean, I hear it's fast and nice-looking, but it's obvious that the goal of this thing is to get more people seeing ads and get more information with which to target ads. Hell, they could conceivably alter the google ads you see depending on what sites you visit.

From what I gather (here), you can turn off all information logging.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

mat-tina wrote:
Rippy wrote:Thing about Chrome is,

From what I gather (here), you can turn off all information logging.
You can, but this shows (once again) that behind the wonderful people at google lie some really quite nasty accountants and lawyers. And in front of them too. Hell, some of them are probably in the same bodies. Anyway, my point is that most of the populace won't bother, either because they don't know, they don't know how, or they don't know why.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

wölfdale

Postby wölfdale » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

i like chrome, however there is some sort of Java breach not sure what thats all about. Firefox is a fad. much like Swatches or balloon pants. i like how it has spell check built in and i actually like it because it doesn't have all those stupid add ons Firefox tries to push all the time. you never know what is in add ons, i just uncheck the box that sends stuff to Google and enjoy the speed increases it gives me over IE. It is geared for Java which is where the web is headed so Google is just ahead of the curve for right now, i am sure Firefox and IE 8 will have copy cat ideas from chrome and visa versa.

EDIT: I do not like how i cannot middle click to scroll i have to use the wheel, i don't know how this was overseen.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

[quote="wölfdale"i like how it has spell check built in[/quote]
Firefox has a spell checker built in.

and i actually like it because it doesn't have all those stupid add ons Firefox tries to push all the time.

It only does that if you keep going to http://addons.mozilla.org all the time.

you never know what is in add ons

I know.

It is geared for Java which is where the web is headed

Javascript.

so Google is just ahead of the curve for right now, i am sure Firefox and IE 8 will have copy cat ideas from chrome and visa versa.

Yes, open-sourcing makes everyone like this: :mrgreen:.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:
QFT!

I'll stick with opera, kthx. I might download Chrome to see what's different about it, but I expect I'll be sticking to the big red O.

First time huh? It hurts less after a while.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

I wouldn't touch Chrome with a bargepole: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03 ... ula_sucks/
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:I wouldn't touch Chrome with a bargepole: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03 ... ula_sucks/

Except, you know, this.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Not an Evil Robot

Postby Not an Evil Robot » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:
QFT!

QFT'd again!

robinberghuys

Postby robinberghuys » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

I'm liking chrome. It has that quick dial thing, but it works much better than the firefox one. Also, it's supposed to be less of a memory hog. Which I think I can notice, but that might be a placebo effect. It also looks nice and I like the way it handles tabs. It's like everything I like about firefox without having to download extensions.

TheMagicalTurtle

Postby TheMagicalTurtle » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

Chrome is a beta and should be treated as such. It can't even operate standard dropdown menus at the moment.

I'll use it occasionally as an alternate browser, but I certainly won't be switching from my fully customized Firefox.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

Tough one. On one hand, Firefox 3 has been using more memory than Firefox 2 for me. :? On the other, I couldn't possibly leave Adblock, Ubiquity, etc.
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

wst

Postby wst » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

robinberghuys wrote:snip

OT: I love your sig. And I have the song that goes with your av.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Can't live without all of my plugins. Also, chrome doesn't mesh with XP at all.

wst

Postby wst » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:08 am UTC

V8 - slower than Firefox's new TraceMonkey Java renderer. http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.a ... chromes-v8

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:38 am UTC

i prefer the one that doesn't crash when you type :% in the address bar.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

marcas

Postby marcas » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:46 am UTC

wst wrote:V8 - slower than Firefox's new TraceMonkey Java renderer.

Javascript, dude. Javascript.

Anywho, I like the tab bar in place of the title bar to save a few pixels at the top but could do with the status bar. Can't explain why but the interface just seems nicer and easier than the other browsers (oooh, animations..). The tab management is very smooth. Took me a while to cop how to dock the bookmarks toolbar though.

I currently use firefox religiously with opera as fallback but this could displace opera for me and I'd hope the link on the google homepage might eat into internet explorers share. It's nice and clean compared to my firefox setup with lot of extensions but I needed them back after a while.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:28 am UTC

Hehe, had some fun just now opening up an html document with nothing but a link to about:%. Merely hovering your mouse over the link crashes Chrome. Strangely enough, just having a link to :% doesn't crash on hover (but as noted, it does crash if you type that into the addressbar).

FF3 is my browser at work for the forseeable future, because I use a large number of addons in the course of my daily business. However, I've already switched over to using Chrome at home, and I like it.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

enk

Postby enk » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:06 am UTC

I like its sleekness but after a little while, all my firefoxy goodness brings me back home.

wölfdale wrote:EDIT: I do not like how i cannot middle click to scroll i have to use the wheel, i don't know how this was overseen.

QFT

hotaru wrote:i prefer the one that doesn't crash when you type :% in the address bar.

Hahaha.... not just the crash, but also the localized error message, which said something roughly translated as "Oh my God. Chrome has crashed. Do you want to restart?" but the omg-part was something in Danish only an adult would say to a small child. Can't translate it properly. What does it say in English?
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:26 am UTC

"Whoa! Google Chrome has crashed. Restart now?"

As for me, I'm waiting for the controversial "royalty-free license" clause in the EULA to officially disappear before I start looking into Chrome properly (I know they say they'll get rid of it retroactively, but I want to be sure)...

But I pretty much live in Greasemonkey, so I don't imagine I'll be switching to Chrome any time soon.

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Solt

Postby Solt » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:51 am UTC

I read the comic and found the rational behind the unique changes they made to be pretty interesting. Chrome does things differently technically, like giving each tab its own process so one tab crashing doesn't crash the whole browser and so there are absolutely no memory leaks. There are also some good interface ideas like the single bar for search and URLs and the way a new tab actually does something helpful instead of opening to your home page every time.

Things are still obviously broken. One thing I noticed is that the feature where there's a yellow outline over whatever control is the current focus also applies to URLs. This means that in gchat, whenever you tab between chat windows if there is a URL somewhere in the chat history it will automatically scroll up to highlight that URL. Annoying but hey, it's a beta and I like the reasons why they built the browser so I'm trying it out.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

enk

Postby enk » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:06 am UTC

phlip wrote:"Whoa! Google Chrome has crashed. Restart now?"

Ah... This is good too but I like the Danish one better :lol:

Solt wrote:giving each tab its own process so one tab crashing doesn't crash the whole browser

Except for the :% thing apparently. As it's a beta I'm not going to say it sucks just because of this, but it is a little strange how it can happen in the first place.

Solt wrote:There are also some good interface ideas like [...] the way a new tab actually does something helpful instead of opening to your home page every time.

Looks like someone should get a useful home page.
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:16 am UTC

enk wrote:Except for the :% thing apparently. As it's a beta I'm not going to say it sucks just because of this, but it is a little strange how it can happen in the first place.

Well, there's a process for each tab, and if that crashes, then everything else is supposed to survive (and the tab becomes about:crash)... but there's also a master process that coordinates everything... and I guess it also handles things like the omnibar. If that master process crashes, it's going to take down everything.

The design's such that if there's a bug in the HTML renderer, or the JS engine, or whatever, the most damage it can do is take out the tab... a bug in Chrome itself can still take out the whole browser if it happens to be in that master process.

[he/him/his]

Solt

Postby Solt » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:20 am UTC

enk wrote:
Solt wrote:There are also some good interface ideas like [...] the way a new tab actually does something helpful instead of opening to your home page every time.

Looks like someone should get a useful home page.

There's no website I use over and over and over again except a search engine and that is taken care of by the search bar. As the comic points out, I open a new tab to go places.

Also, I can scroll down but not up. Anyone else have that problem?

phlip wrote:The design's such that if there's a bug in the HTML renderer, or the JS engine, or whatever, the most damage it can do is take out the tab... a bug in Chrome itself can still take out the whole browser if it happens to be in that master process.

Right. The thinking behind that is that you can hunt down every last bug in Chrome but never in the rendering/scripting layer.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:32 am UTC

Solt wrote:Also, I can scroll down but not up. Anyone else have that problem?

There was someone in the other thread that was having a similar problem... it works fine for me, though.

[he/him/his]

xulaus

Postby xulaus » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:11 am UTC

Not an Evil Robot wrote:
Cheese wrote:
QFT!

QFT'd again!

QFT yet again!

I use Opera all the time on my Vista, but I like to keep closed source stuff off my Fedora if possible, so Epiphany may be in trouble once there is a linux version.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I don't even know who the fuck this guy is

ian

Postby ian » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:19 am UTC

I’ve pretty much changed to chrome now. Loving the GUI and much quicker. Only annoying this is no adblock, all the other FF extensions I had I either don’t need with chrome (tabmix plus) or they are built in automatically (download bar/incognito-stealth), apart from colorzilla, which I’m not too bothered about.
Haven’t had any problem pages or items yet though, might change back if that happens. Or if adverts start annoying me.

Actually I still haven’t got FF3, might update tonight and see how it runs.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:11 am UTC

google chrome is actually pretty slow at javascript if you use a test not made by the webkit folks or google...
http://celtickane.com/webdesign/jsspeed2007.php

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1a2) Gecko/20080829082037 Shiretoko/3.1a2

Opera/9.52 (Windows NT 6.0; U; en)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.21

but it is faster than IE...
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

xulaus

Postby xulaus » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:25 am UTC

I dont know what some of those UA's are, heres a list for folks that don't know browser UA's.

Google chrome 0.2
hotaru wrote:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13

After wikiing I found out this one is Firefox 3.1
hotaru wrote:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1a2) Gecko/20080829082037 Shiretoko/3.1a2

Opera 9.52 (I love the UA, yet another reason to use Opera)
hotaru wrote:Opera/9.52 (Windows NT 6.0; U; en)

This one is Safari, I think, could be KHTML
hotaru wrote:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.21

And of course Microsoft Internet Explorer 8
hotaru wrote:Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)
Meaux_Pas wrote:I don't even know who the fuck this guy is

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:40 am UTC

Opera, thanks.

Chrome seems decent enough and runs okay in my VMWare instance, but I'll stick with Opera thanks. (I really hope DragonFly gets some more love though, since it would be nice to dump FF for development completely. Except I'd have to use of for compatibility testing anyway. *sigh*)

Return to “Religious Wars”