Firefox 3 v.s. Google Chrome?

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: Firefox 3 v.s. Google Chrome?

Postby phlip » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:53 am UTC

Hmm...

Thanks a lot for those numbers, hotaru, they're very interesting...

Interesting to note that it does quite well at DOM and String manipulation/Regexes, compared to Mozilla (and quite well, or at least decently, compared to the others... DOM in Opera being the main exception)... and those are the things that a lot of web apps will use (which is what Chrome's aimed at, after all). It's mostly the Arrays, Date and Ajax decls that bring it down... and while the Arrays are certainly a major concern, date manipulation in a webapp is reasonably rare, and the Ajax decl is hardly the bottleneck in an Ajax call that also contains a several-second loading time from the server.

So, all in all, I think it's alright... and if they get the Array score up, then it'll be pretty good... but not nearly as much of a major leap forward as the hype claimed.

[edit]
Point of note: that site only runs its tests once, when you click the button. According to that comic thing, Chrome's JS engine is a JIT compiler... which has a tradeoff that it's slower for one-shot scripts, but faster for scripts that're run lots, like you'd see in a web-app... perhaps a fairer test (or at least, a second test that can be compared with the first) would be one that runs all its tests several times, averaging the results.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

wölfdale

Postby wölfdale » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

i am sure some of the posters in here are the same one's who bashed on vista for being "broken", sorry a single company didnt think of EVERYTHING, MAc and Linux have their flaws too. L2Usecomputers.

xulaus

Postby xulaus » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

wölfdale wrote:i am sure some of the posters in here are the same one's who bashed on vista for being "broken", sorry a single company didnt think of EVERYTHING, MAc and Linux have their flaws too. L2Usecomputers.

The difference is Google Chrome isn't pretending to be a finished project yet, just look at the version number (0.2).
Meaux_Pas wrote:I don't even know who the fuck this guy is

Mane
21th Century African?

Postby Mane » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

I like Chrome, just not the whole interface, I *like* having File/Edit/View/History/Bookmarks/etc at the top of my browser, and I don't like how they don't seem to exist in Chrome.

Other then that, it looks real sexy in Vista.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

Chrome looks nice, but for some reason it will only let me scroll down and not up :?
Probably sticking to Firefox and Opera until Chrome got a more finished feel to it, then we'll see.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Axman

Postby Axman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

I... I use explorer...
It rains on the enemy too!

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

toshiro wrote:There's no real competition, since there's only a windows version. I'll take a look at it once it's out for OS X.

WHAT I was considering trying it too. Fuck them

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

Chrome is basically Safari + new Javascript VM and a few twerked details to increase browser stability.

With the whole, each tab is a process thing if something crashes a tab it *shouldn't* crash the browser, theoretically. It has a lot more complicated security system than Safari also.

I already use safari for 90% of my web browsing so I'll probably switch when the Mac version is released.

If google keeps their download link on their home page then I am sure there will be a lot of people converting to it, and hopefully fewer and fewer people using IE.

As a web developer I hate IE because of its lack of standards and the fact IE6 is what 7 years old? Has very little support for new things like CSS3, certain javascript features, etc. Its annoying. Anything that makes less people use IE is good IMO.

The good thing about FF, Safari, Opera, etc. are they follow the standards (generally speaking) and in a lot of cases if you code to the standards your stuff works in all of those browsers without any need for browser specific hacks, but in the case of IE you basically HAVE to use browser specific hacks if you want things to work in IE6 or IE7.
# drinks WAY to much espresso

wr3cktangle

Postby wr3cktangle » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:38 am UTC

personally, I'm a little scared of Google.
they know too much, and i'm a little afraid the 'no' in their motto is going to be dropped from it in the future.

i blame Cory Doctorow, because blaming myself isn't fun.
Maxim 33. When faced with the unusual, self-destruct.
My blog

hagger

Postby hagger » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:18 am UTC

I've tried Chrome myself, finding it alot faster than Firefox, which is important on my slow laptop. However, on my desktop, I'm still liking Firefox, with all those lovely add-ons. I do like how it looks though. It lets me forget Im using Windows for a time. Plus, if it finally stops people like my brother using IE, then I'm happy.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

bokonnon

Postby bokonnon » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

I like Chrome a lot, actually. I never really bothered with Firefox add-ons, and I love Chrome's New Tab window that displays all my recent pages and bookmarks. Plus its got a nice big history that's kept in order by use, something I've always wanted. I'm sure that's been available for other browsers, but Chrome has the first one I've seen.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Just tried it using the Codeweaver package on Debian. I like it. I'm getting rid of FF as soon as Chrome is native on Linux. I might even ditch Safari at home, depending on whose JS VM is better.

FF3 has been a crashy POS for me. Can't wait to delegate it to "for development purposes only".

LittleKey

Postby LittleKey » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:20 am UTC

I prefer firefox 3. i tried chrome, and it's nice, but i can't scroll up on it o_o. i can scrollwheel down, but not up. this only happens using chrome.

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

ash.gti wrote:Chrome is basically Safari + new Javascript VM and a few twerked details to increase browser stability.

By that definition safari is just konqueror + new javascript VM and a few tweaks. Safaris weakest point is safari, google have taken the major strength of safari (the fast webkit rendering engine) and built a nice browser around it.

I gave it a spin on windows and although i like the chrome UI its main strength is the thread->tab thing as it allows you to detach/attach/crash/use tabs without any problems. I think ill install chrome when its out for linux (not sure what the UI, will be like) but aslong as firefox sorts out the tab code by 4.0 i doubt it will ever become my main browser because (and i know this will sounds wierd) but i find the interface a bit bloated compaired to a fully customized Firefox setup (menubar button, the bookmark bar and location bar on the same line with no inactive buttons and a cut down context menu)

Ideally there would be a compilation browser that provides just a very customizable 'chrome' while letting you switch rendering engines (webkit, khtml, trident, gecko) and javascript engines seamlessly while preserving the same UI (IEtab doesnt do this).
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Falmarri

Postby Falmarri » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:28 am UTC

I use chrome for streaming movies and stuff. Just seems to have less problems for me.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

See, that's the one place where Chrome fails me. I just can't do anything flash-based nearly as well with Chrome as i can with Firefox. In Chrome it's always very jumpy and laggy. Strange.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Maybe because Chrome seems to come with a debug version of Flash installed...

kriel

Postby kriel » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:29 am UTC

I tried Chrome. My first stop when going to a new browser is the settings page; to make it so that it handles my cookies and personal data the way I want it.

"... wtf? ... you can't... what the hell? They Like, nerfed the entire settings menu."

I do like the idea of the seperate processes, and the javascript improvements seem nice.

Personally? I kind of wish Google would have put their power towards improving firefox instead of writing a browser from scratch. But mh; what do I know.

Edit: Woops. Forgot to check and see if I was thread necro'ing... Sorry! ><

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:26 am UTC

kriel wrote:Forgot to check and see if I was thread necro'ing... Sorry! ><

We prefer thread necro over duplicate threads here.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:00 am UTC

I definitely like the concept of Chrome. The separate processes for each tab spiel did attract me, but FF3 still has a sway over me
- Add-ons. I like my web browser to offer me the time in Vladivostok, to host an IRC client and to inform me how many days left in office George W. Bush has. Tack like that to enhance my web experience.
- Customisability of themes and icon layout as well. Hopping on to Chrome I just see a minimalist Back/Forward/Reload/Home crammed in a corner. I also have the quirk of expanding my FF icon set and URL/search bar over two separate levels, so Chrome felt alien to me on switching
- I like my NoScript add-on and advertisement blocking thank you very much
- Sure it imports my bookmarks from FF and IE first off, but I'd like some form of constant fluidity between them on my hard drive. The bookmarks bar on Chrome doesn't allow the constant sweep between menus that I get from its Bookmarks Toolbar counterpart
Perhaps when it moves on a few months I'll pay more attention, but for now it's a novelty item for me really.

ZAN

Postby ZAN » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

Chrome does have its merits, but it is still in development. One very annoying bug is how it suddenly stops scrolling down.

Particularly annoying on forums, because it wont let you reply because you cannot reach the reply button.

FF has addons galor, and i have never encountered a bug.

pietimer

Postby pietimer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:12 am UTC

I tried out chrome for a few months because I liked the cleaner layout and use of screen space. It also seemed a bit faster, but I could be imagining that. However, I switched back to firefox because I am literally in love with ad-block and flash-block. I would marry them if it were legal.

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Shiira wins.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Chrome. Firefox simply can't touch it. It's the best browser on the planet right now.

Course, I don't think FF can touch IE, either, so that's not really saying much, but Chrome is definitely > all.

Evilagram

Postby Evilagram » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:43 pm UTC

The test build of Firefox (minefield) is faster than google chrome.

Sorry, but this isn't going to end well for Chrome.

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Google's stepping up their platform, check it out:

http://www.techflash.com/Googles_Native ... 68659.html

And I said it in my article, and I'll say it again: this doesn't bode jack for Windows. This isn't an OS and Office is targeted towards businesses and schools, which is what's being threatened. But the thing is, while Microsoft would be pleased to sell Office to everyone, it's not designed for everyone, and it's at risk for exactly that reason--but not in its home, that is to say, offices.

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:03 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:3 words Firefox Firefox Firefox. Keep the faith in firefox. I'm all for keeping an open mind but there's no way anything can compete with firefox. And if anyone tells me it's just a browser... and also I can't fucking type at the moment :x :x

Dude, Iceweasel. It's like Firefox but free. er. Debian FTW.

If it won't run on GNU/Linux, I can't use it.

mat-tina wrote:
wst wrote:Calling it chrome is conflicting with some of the Fx background stuff isn't it?
Also, I like Ubiquity on Fx.

Yes.

Slightly off topic for those interested and have no idea what we are referring to:
Try typing this into the address bar: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul.

That's pretty nifty.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

AttackAttack

Postby AttackAttack » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

pkuky wrote:I... I use explorer...

Heretic!

FireFox, of course. Mozilla is a non-profit organization that has done nothing but good for the world, while Google ruins your life with ads and makes millions from it. Google sucks. That pretty much ends the whole debate, for me.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

I like the customizability of FF.
Here's what mine looks like on Intrepid, with Topper, TinyMenu, and Download Statusbar.
My home page is goosh.org, so opening FF is like opening a Terminal (sweet!)
I use the keyboard for nav. The Thinkpad T61 has pageleft and pageright buttons above the arrow keys, and they work with back/forward on FF. Home is Alt+Home. New Tab is Ctrl+T. Close Tab is Ctrl+F4. Stop is Esc. It's all much faster than messing with the mouse.
ffscreen.png
ffscreen.png (133.3 KiB) Viewed 7007 times

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:59 am UTC

So...Chrome with a worse page renderer?

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:I use the keyboard for nav. The Thinkpad T61 has pageleft and pageright buttons above the arrow keys, and they work with back/forward on FF. Home is Alt+Home. New Tab is Ctrl+T. Close Tab is Ctrl+F4. Stop is Esc. It's all much faster than messing with the mouse.

Do yourself a favor, google Nightly Tester Tools, Keyconfig, and Hit-A-Hint. Oh, and Mozless. Does ctrl+w not close tabs for you? It's easier to hit than f4. (Likewise ctrl+r instead of f5.)

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Axman wrote:
joeframbach wrote:I use the keyboard for nav. The Thinkpad T61 has pageleft and pageright buttons above the arrow keys, and they work with back/forward on FF. Home is Alt+Home. New Tab is Ctrl+T. Close Tab is Ctrl+F4. Stop is Esc. It's all much faster than messing with the mouse.

Do yourself a favor, google Nightly Tester Tools, Keyconfig, and Hit-A-Hint. Oh, and Mozless. Does ctrl+w not close tabs for you? It's easier to hit than f4. (Likewise ctrl+r instead of f5.)

Oh, cool. Ctrl+r and ctrl+w are now an integral part of my life.
Hit-a-Hint has been forked by LoL: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8781 so I'll give that a shot.
The side of my trackpad does a mighty fine job of scrolling, so I'll keep that.
Thanks for the heads-up on these add-ons.

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:38 am UTC

It sure is a whole lot easier to install and configure, but it doesn't have a delete option for HaH typos. I suppose I'll get used to it, or go back to the unsupported version, or barring all that, something drastic, like CLI-based computing.

Edit: fuck it, it doesn't configure correctly, and refuses to unbind space from magic. Going back to HaH.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

While we are listing FF addons, JSView is definitely one of the better ones. Combined with NoScript, it lets you see every single script in code form, before you let it run.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

zerohero

Postby zerohero » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

firefox, chrome, opera, etc, all suck! You should use Internet Explorer

Nah, I'm just fucking with you. Use firefox.
.narfNET - http://narf.byethost16.com
This is a personal site of mine catering to console emulators and other things of interest
.narfNET forums - http://narf.byethost16.com/forums
Give us a visit! We're always happy to accept new members

Uriel

Postby Uriel » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

do not trust what is not open source!
Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

If I can't use j and k to scroll down and up, H and L to go back and foreward, x, c, v, and d to manipulate tabs, and can't get to any of several dozen preselected webpages with three keystrokes, I will never abandon Firefox. Vimperator is far superior to sliced bread, and every Vim junkie (like me) should be using it.

Lóng the Dragon

Postby Lóng the Dragon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

wölfdale wrote:i like chrome, however there is some sort of Java breach not sure what thats all about. Firefox is a fad. much like Swatches or balloon pants. i like how it has spell check built in and i actually like it because it doesn't have all those stupid add ons Firefox tries to push all the time. you never know what is in add ons, i just uncheck the box that sends stuff to Google and enjoy the speed increases it gives me over IE. It is geared for Java which is where the web is headed so Google is just ahead of the curve for right now, i am sure Firefox and IE 8 will have copy cat ideas from chrome and visa versa.

EDIT: I do not like how i cannot middle click to scroll i have to use the wheel, i don't know how this was overseen.

Completely seconded, especially the last sentence.

I use Chrome because my computer would (for some reason) finish AVG updating before starting FireFox, and (for some other reason) that updating would sometimes go on for 20 minutes (not a hyperbole).
I'm just being bilingually redundant.

Return to “Religious Wars”