Stephen Colbert vs. Jon Stewart

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

PhallicoMcWigglesWorth

Stephen Colbert vs. Jon Stewart

Postby PhallicoMcWigglesWorth » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:19 am UTC

In other words, America vs. The Jews. Naturally I have to side with Stephen Colbert, but being a Jew, I can see my values are being tested. I'll still go with good 'ol America. But really, we all know that the population of America greatly outlasts the Jews. So then, which Religion really is better?

ian

Re: Stephen Colbert vs. Jon Stewart

Postby ian » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:02 am UTC

the population of America outlasts the Jews?

Anyway, Jon Stewart > Stephen Colbert. I watch both shows but find Colbert's increasingly repetative, and generally skip the interviews.

0xBADFEED

Postby 0xBADFEED » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

Colbert. Period.

"The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" are pretty equal.

So I have to look outside to other work. Colbert is a comic genius. Just look at any of his old work on "The Daily Show" or "Strangers with Candy". Colbert has his own unique comedic style that uses lots of word-play, misdirection, and cleverly draws on implicit assumptions you make about what he's going to say before he's said it. This is more obvious in his work on "Strangers with Candy" than "The Colbert Report". Although, "Strangers with Candy" has lots of other great talent like Amy Sedaris as well.

I don't think you can really say the same about Jon Stewart.

Don't get me wrong I like Stewart. I think he's really funny and has better than most stand-up. He's just not on the same level.

stephentyrone

Postby stephentyrone » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:27 pm UTC

Stewart laughs at his own jokes, always, without fail. It was kind of endearing for about one show, but now it's just obnoxious.

Colbert wins.
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

ian

Postby ian » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

If you aren't laughing at your own jokes, they probably aren't that funny (though yes, it is quite annoying in a tv show host)

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

Colbert > Stewart.

Half of stewarts jokes arent even funny
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

ian

Postby ian » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 am UTC

I guess for me, Colbert's is just a comedy show, where as Stewart's can be vaguely informative too

'The Word' (is that right?) is probably the funniest segement on either show

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:25 am UTC

Oh yes. The Word is brilliant, and I have to go with Colbert overall.
*waggles eyebrows*

standinginherfield

Postby standinginherfield » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:34 am UTC

^ yes, [to the post before last] and, i think this is a silly debate (personally). stephen colbert's show was born out of jon stewart's, and he took it and ran with the character and made it awesome, and he's awesome, but it's a different show entirely. jon's just this friendly guy with very astute observations about current events and humourous conversations with (frequently, not always) interesting people. he's brilliant as far as i'm concerned.
colbert's brilliant too - as a satirist, mostly. he's braved politics in a more genuine way a bit more here and there i'll grant you, but it's just plain a different show. it's even pitched to a different audience. colbert is entirely about how funny the character of colbert is - and how funny the scope of his influence is (influence gained by his popularity from jon stewart's audience, incidently). it's pitched to the in large proportion potheads that are his minions. jon's audience includes the...less hip, i feel. ha. for lack of a better word.

anyway i personally prefer jon stewart, i think it's a bit more intelligent and relevant, which is to say, a bit more remarkable to find on television. colbert isn't as excitingly far away from every other kind of escapeist humour on tv.

now i confess i haven't had cable for the last five months or so, so this opinion may be out of date (though i adored stewart's coverage post inauguration! i caught most of it online, i'm swell like that)
mkay i'm done. in fact i think i'll go watch the rest of that...

p.s. yes the word is terrific! awww i love colbert too, whatever. whee! sorry, i love these guys, it's the only tv i miss - i mean, star trek is available on demand.
maintain wonder.

ian

Postby ian » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:40 am UTC

torrents are you friends!

Paranatural

Postby Paranatural » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:57 pm UTC

Jon.

Yes, Colbert's shtick is rather genius, but after a while it just get a bit old. He can't really change direction or tactics or methodologies because then it wouldn't be the same show. TDS has a lot more room to move around, it can go from satirical to sarcastic to flat-out mocking and then to dead-serious and all back again, at will, depending on what works for the subject matter. Colbert has to approach absolutely everything from the same angle.

Abdalian

Postby Abdalian » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:33 am UTC

Cobert for me, partly for his persona. I find both to be competent comedians and almost equally witty, but Cobert's got the likability factor going his way.

Guff

Postby Guff » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:19 am UTC

I find that the parody aspect limits Colbert at times, and too much of the comedy relies on self reference. I'm not a fan of that. But, Stewart's delivery sucks. He manages to kill most jokes, either with a Bush impression (I suppose that's over with, though) or by adding unnecessary commentary.

Eh, I do watch both shows, however. They're pretty good, just not perfect. I think I'll go with Colbert.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

Colbert over Stewart for the jokes. As already mentioned: The Word is the best. Anyone ever see the skit where he talks to another version of himself over drilling for oil? Well done.

Stewart over Colbert for the interviews. Stewart will let the person talk, then make a joke on the side. Colbert is trapped in his persona and must inerrupt and make the interview awkward. Often funny, but annoying if I actually want to hear that person's story.

Between Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart I would pick Conan O'Brien.

BMP

Postby BMP » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

Personally I like Stewart more. I just think he's funnier, and it's a show that I can watch at 11 at night. When I try to watch both shows in a row, it seems like Colbert is just copying the Daily Show word for word (as in, use the same news segements, but then again, what other news can they report?) but trying to make it look like they're not copying the same news segments. I'll usually watch The Daily Show on its regular time and then watch the Colbert Report on the internet later, but I'll never watch the two back to back. Colbert's humor just seems more stupid to me (in a good way) than Stewart's.

However I like Steven's interviews with the people more. Jon seems to just be sucking the dick of the interviewer and Steven actually makes you laugh.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

I usually prefer Stewart. Colbert's persona can make for some great comedy, but a times it seems a little over the top and dumb. Stewart tends to have more substance to his material, mixing the comedy with actual commentary on current events.

That said, the speech Colbert gave at the white house correspondents dinner a few years ago was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. That wins him some major points.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSE_saVX_2A

Watermelon_in_Easter_Hay

Postby Watermelon_in_Easter_Hay » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:13 am UTC

Stewart.

I personally love Colbert and his polished comedic delivery. I think it's unique. But there's definitely not the same level of information being given on his show, and I resent him slightly for that. also, despite how entertaining some of his interviews can be, (note the one with the billionaire [forget the name] who owns Virgin airlines?) and his great mockery of some
political views through irony, i've felt really impressed at some of the monologues Jon Stewart has given, and i don't think i've ever reacted that way to Colbert.

+!
Jon Stewart's takedown of Crossfire. when he went on their show he was honestly pleading with them to stop being assholes. it struck me as really genuine and rare to television. he ekes out the win.

Snicklefrits

Postby Snicklefrits » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:21 am UTC

Why does it have to be one or the other? I think the two shows compliment each other quite nicely.

TheManInTheHat

Postby TheManInTheHat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:44 am UTC

NO COMPROMISING! THAT'S WHAT STARTED WWII (or I could be making things up, but the important thing is, if I yell it loudly enough, it will become true!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. Colbert rules.
enigmad555 wrote:10/9 the man in hat is amazingly epic

Mabus_Zero

Postby Mabus_Zero » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:56 am UTC

Stewart, for all the things listed above. Man runs a show that can never get old. But both shows, especially these days, supplement each other.

Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:Between Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart I would pick Conan O'Brien.

The feud over who gave mike huckabee a bump was fantastic.

TheManInTheHat

Postby TheManInTheHat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:44 am UTC

Obvioulsy it was the "Colbert Bumb."

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:02 am UTC

Stewart!

Although Colbert can be amusing.

TheManInTheHat

Postby TheManInTheHat » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:15 am UTC

.....how did you find me again?

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:11 pm UTC

TheManInTheHat wrote:.....how did you find me again?

Holy shit.
That was a complete coincidence, I was just megaposting...
This is getting eerie.

ultra920

Postby ultra920 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

Colbert>stewart
Daily Show>report

The corespondents make the daily show seem more fresh.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

ultra920 wrote:Colbert>stewart
Daily Show>report

The corespondents make the daily show seem more fresh.

What are you talking about?
The correspondents are rarely the best part of the Show, it's all Stewart.

Other news: I found everyone's avatars, in order of account creation. I'm 25443.

PhallicoMcWigglesWorth

Postby PhallicoMcWigglesWorth » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:46 am UTC

After some watching and redditing, I have decided that Jon Stewart technically wins. Stewart is technically a real news show, Colbert is a comedy show, and Fox News is hilarious when O'Reilly is on.

TheManInTheHat

Postby TheManInTheHat » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:06 am UTC

I must say the Colbert is far more entertaining. Also, they are both in the business of info-tainment. Neither can be called a true news show. Further more, Prescott Pharmasuticals just makes me bust a gut, so to speak.

Fresh Heir

Postby Fresh Heir » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

If I had to choose (and it's a tough choice!), I'd pick Colbert. The angle of his satire is just a little bit sharper than Stewart. Stewart lampoons the news, Colbert lampoons the newsmakers. I somehow find myself watching a dangerous amount of Bill O'RLY, mainly because he raises my blood pressure. I swear it's some kind of curse. But Colbert does such a great O'Reilley impression, it fills my heart with warmth.

adunebutt

Postby adunebutt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

Colbert has a persona that he sticks to throughout the show which gets a bit irritating. I find it funnier that Stewart usually tries to play the one with sense when talking to his "analysts" or "reporters" on the scene. Also, Jon Stewart made Colbert, so that holds some weight.

I say Stewart.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

Fresh Heir wrote:Bill O'RLY

heh.
Image?
YA RLY.

inhahe

Postby inhahe » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:21 am UTC

Colbert is very clever and quick-witted, but I find his interviewing process to be shallow, always lacking substance. I guess the good thing is that he prompts the other side to say what they really believe, but emotionally it still leaves me with the feeling every time that he's blown an interesting opportunity to interview in favor of insubstantial remarks in the way of retaining his pseudo-religious-republican-ism. To be fair, that could be the best anyone could do; the whole premise of his show is a hard thing to pull off for 30 minutes a day. But I still prefer Jon Stewart for those reasons.

berandeve

Postby berandeve » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

I used to prefer Colbert. When I was in New York last year, we had tickets for both Colbert and Stewart, but we could only get them on the same day, so we had to pick. We picked Colbert. It was definitely funny.

However, as time has gone on, I've found that Steven gets a bit old. I watch Stewart more now. He also seems to do a bit more real news and thoughtful commentary (while still being funny), whereas Colbert is a bit over-the-top more frequently.

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

I'd go with the daily show* over, but I've only watched one full episode of Colbert (and a lot of clips).
But if we want to look at epic wins, then Colbert went stood not more than a meter away from bush and bitchslaped the guy around, seriously EPIC, i can't even think of an analogy good enough to explain how epic it is.
He also managed to hold his own against O'RLY and without over doing it, show O'RLY for what he really is, he got caught up on one irrelevant point (pronunciation of Colbert's name) and because of it didn't even comeback to the nice shots ("They always criticize you for what you say, but never for how loud you say it!")
While Stewart's crossfire appearance is pretty good (probably better than Colbert on O'RLY, he hasn't pulled anything that good of in a while.

So while i am swayed towards Stewart's comedic style (over the top exaggerated stories with very little punctiation really crack me up), especially when his writers where on strike, but over all Colbert win's.

*seriously how can something featuring John Oliver§ and Demitri Martin NOT win?

§Does anybody have a link to the clip where he drinks tea with jon stewart?
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

PhallicoMcWigglesWorth wrote:In other words, America vs. The Jews. Naturally I have to side with Stephen Colbert, but being a Jew, I can see my values are being tested. I'll still go with good 'ol America. But really, we all know that the population of America greatly outlasts the Jews. So then, which Religion really is better?

Dude what? I'm an Al-Yahud myself, but I happen to favor Stephen Colbert. He's just better. Also, he's now a Knight of Jordan.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

While Colbert can be considered a better comedian, the daily show is definitely the better of the two. You can actually get information out of his show and his interview actually mean something where as Colbert basically just spouts insults at the guy hes supposed to be "interviewing" without giving them a chance to talk. I mean whats the point of even bringing a guest on the show if you aren't going to let them speak. you might as well just throw up a picture and making farting noises at it.

IMHO Colbert was much better when he was still on the daily show because he had something he could play off against where now there is not "ground" to compare his antics to.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

I disagree that the Daily Show is always more informative than the Report. I've learned a lot from Colbert's show--for instance, about the threat of bears to our great nation.

Seriously, though, Colbert's use of parody, especially parody of Fox News, means that he always has plenty of material, while Stewart running a more "straight" show visibly has to push it along.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

Martige

Postby Martige » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:20 pm UTC

Personally I like Stewart better out of the two. Colbert seems to have a massive ego (fake or not) and that just kind of pisses me off. What really makes TDS great is the fact that it's not just him, it's him and his corespondants. I love the video interviews with people (I.E Wyatt going to Sweden, oh and the other John is amazing). One thing that pisses me off about Colbert is when he starts an interview (in comparison to Steward) he runs in and all the camera is focused on him, not the person he is interviewing, making him look like a total fucking asshole. TDS on the other hand more gives the spotlight to the person being interviewed, like you are suppose to. Colbert is funny, but it just lacks some things that I need from a show like that.
"Thank you for helping us, help you, help us all" - GLaDoS

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

I used to hate Eminem. Today, years later, I really like his music for a lot of the same reasons, because now I realise it's SUPPOSED to be stupid for those reasons. I used to hate Beavis and Butthead. Today, years later, I really love the stupid humor because I realise it's SUPPOSED to be stupid for the same reasons. It sounds like some people in this thread are going to love Colbert in a few years when they finally get it's supposed to be like that.

I find Colbert is sort of a one note song. When he was on the Daily Show, he made an awesome blow hard 'conservative' foil to Jon's neurotic 'liberal', resulting in great hilarity. With his own show, it's all punchline with no setup. "Republicans are stupidlolRepublicans are stupidlolRepublicans are stupidlolRepublicans are stupidlolRepublicans are stupidlol" for half an hour.

In today's political climate, I prefer Stewart, because kicking the toothless Republican party while they're down isn't that funny, and because Stewart doesn't act within a 1-dimensional persona, he can afford to mock Obama and his administration, while Colbert doing the same would be basically becoming what he's trying to mock, so he's got to find a way to mock Obama through the Republicans. If comedy was rainbows, Stewart would be a full spectrum rainbow, and Colbert would be a single red line in the sky.

Return to “Religious Wars”