Stephen Colbert vs. Jon Stewart

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

aireoth

Re: Stephen Colbert vs. Jon Stewart

Postby aireoth » Tue May 05, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

To hard to pick, as some have tried to point out, John is more flexible, but is he really? If the political climate was completely reversed and an all-star conservative was in (someone equal to Obama) and the liberals where on their heels, would John be that much better?

To me they are really just two sides of the same coin, and much better when together then apart. Both are complete over actors but John is more vulgar, which always loses a few points for me, not that I am some crazy anti-swear bastard, but feel that swears only have so much to offer as words, and John tends to stretch it.

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Tue May 05, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

Your hypothetical is broken, because in order for someone equal to Obama to be running for the Republicans, the Republicans would have to basically run on a much different platform. You couldn't get a Reagan with a platform of "Here is the list of people we hate". Reagan was much less of a partisan hack than his successors. He, like Obama, ran on a plaform designed to pull people into his reality. In such an event, Reagan would be up for attacks for the exact same things Jon attacks Obama over.

All this is redundant anyway, because The Daily Show, and Jon's act, makes more sense as a critique of media than of the parties. Partisans figured Jon had made some sort of mistake by attacking Jim Cramer, because Cramer supported Obama. Destroying Crossfire doesn't make any sense from a partisan standpoint either. Jon attacking Obama for his media machinations(Or pointing out the hypocrisy where Pelosi and the Republicans switch positions on certain congressional protocols) doesn't make a bit of sense as a liberal partisan act. Looking at it from the standpoint of "The media is the joke, and people's attempts to manipulate the media are the joke", it all makes sense.

Colbert's show is also a critique of the media, but the inherently partisan bent harms him.

mdx_stargoliath

Postby mdx_stargoliath » Wed May 06, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

I love both shows and find both of the host funny. I will say that Colberts clever wit and ability to keep such a persona going using it in a satirical way is plain genius. I dont believe it limits him at all considering in otherprojects that he has worked with he can get into a character very well.

Harvey Bird Man Attorney at law for example. His character in that was just hilarious.
Strangers With Cany was also a good example of his ability to efficiently stay with in a character.

John Steward is also a great comedian but sometimes he does kind of push the joke to the point where he can kill it. However he has great keen observational skills that tag along with his humor. Not saying that ita lways makes him right though just that he can squeeze great humor from context.

As for the whole Colbert is partisan bent thing, Jon is also pretty partisan at times and you can tell which side he leans towards a lot. Escpecially during the election process bewteen John Mccain and Obama.
Your life is your own and you are not governed by a predetermined destiny.

We Hope...

mastered

Postby mastered » Fri May 08, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

I enjoy the interplay between them.
Things are only impossible until they aren't. - Cpt. Picard

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Tue May 19, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

I don't know if this is relevant, but apparently Stephen is terrified of Keyboard Cat.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri May 22, 2009 5:17 am UTC

Colbert.

It seems to me that at least half of Stewart's jokes are saying some republican position in a funny voice and then making a funny face. He seems to think that if you say something in a ridiculous tone, it automatically means that the thing you are saying is preposterous.

The best part of the daily show is Oliver.

davec51

Postby davec51 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

I like them both, but the funniest bit I ever saw on television (beginning with my first set in 1948) was Tim Russert's interview of Steve Colbert about a year ago, when Colbert was pretending to run for President. Does anyone know where that clip exists on the internet?

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sat May 30, 2009 2:40 am UTC

*ahem*
"The Wørd"
/anal

That being said:
Colbert>Stewart>1<Hard>To<Understand<Fragments

Also, his name and show name utilize silent consonants. Consonants! Take that Jon Stewart*.

Did anyone notice that Stephen Colbert has two Wikipedia pages corresponding to the real person and the fictional persona that he portrays? How do they know that he doesn't act like that all the time? He sure does whenever he's near a camera!

*I was going to go all Colbert-ish and point-out-myself-wrong by highlighting the 'h' in Jon, until I realized that he didn't have one... So much proof!

gouthamv

Postby gouthamv » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

Stewart any day!

John_S

Postby John_S » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

I find Colbert's stuff to be much more entertaining, because his stuff is so ingeniously funny, in the most simple manner possible.

Snowflake

Postby Snowflake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:28 am UTC

The best parts of today's Daily Show are the field pieces, absurd news reports, and funny juxtapositions of political figures. HOWEVER... they feed on too many cheap jokes. They used to be professional AND hilarious.

OTOH, Colbert's persona cuts through all the bullshit and delivers, straight and raw. Besides The Word and the occasional slapstick, his show is pure comedy.
Btw, his week in Baghdad was amazing :lol:
Death is permission to open freely as love.

Whynaut

Postby Whynaut » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:45 am UTC

Colbert at his best is way better than Stewart (The Word is awesome!), but I find that Stewart is by far most consistent. Colbert has become increasingly dependent on story lines (trying to get stuff named after him, going to Baghdad...) Stewart's delivery is not as good as Colbert's, but Stewart's is more relevant and much more consistently funny.
The only way to deal with people you can't stand is to stand somewhere else.

scotty2haughty

Postby scotty2haughty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

I have to say it was a toss up for me for a long time, but I think Jon has started to take a different direction with a lot of his jokes that just aren't my style. Colbert has some kinda dumb stuff on there every once in a while too, but I have to say his week in Iraq was probably the best stuff on TV at the time.

1-2004 = Jon Stewart
2005-Present = Steven Colbert

I also appreciate the silent consonant usage in Colber(t) Repor(t) pronunciation. And The Word. And whatever its called...Worth Adversary or something? The one where he debates himself.

Also Stephens Sound Advice...and the Threat Down.

And whats up with him hating bears?
/s/

HareichiSan

Postby HareichiSan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:28 am UTC

I realize that Jon Stewart gets on more topics, but I have to go with Stephen. Because television really comes down to entertainment anyway (Not saying that I don't think Jon is funny, I actually watch both shows regularly) and I believe Stephen is entertaining and intelligent, and not many people can fit both of those into their minds. The only other two I can think of are Jon and The Wine Kone, if he counts. Plus I agree with Stephen politically,a nd that's always important. But like I said, it's just TV. And both are very funny and cover a lot of topics and are generally very good news-people. I just gotta go with Colbert.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

I still like Stewart's show better as commentary (and it's quite funny to boot), but Colbert has gotten funnier and funnier. The last few days of the show have been some of the best television I've ever watched. Stewart might have a more down-to-earth charisma but he doesn't have "Word of the Day".

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:19 pm UTC

Stewart wins. Recently his show has been pretty great. That McCaughey woman who was on his show yesterday was just embarassing herself while Stewart was being serious--she was trying to pander to the audience but he was having none of it, which I think is what a political talkshow host needs to do. He's not so "WELL FUCK REPUBLICANS/RELIGIOUS PEOPLE/AUTHORITARIANS/PEOPLE LESS INTELLIGENT THAN ME" like Bill Maher (which gets tedious... i can't really take him seriously when he spares no expense in mocking other people) but he gets what should be said, said. IE this death panel bullshit.

I watch Colbert for lulz, I watch Stewart to go "you tell em, john"

edit: to an above poster, the hating bears thing is related to his name being pronounced col-bear.
uhhhh fuck.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:I watch Colbert for lulz, I watch Stewart to go "you tell em, john"

Agreed, actually. The two overlap a little (Stewart can be very funny and Colbert can do some very good satire) but Stewart is the journalist and does better (though less funny) interviews. He's pretty fair and FOX needs to edit the context out of his clips to make him look like an asshole.

Return to “Religious Wars”