Education vs Playstation? The Piggy Bank war

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Altercator

Education vs Playstation? The Piggy Bank war

Postby Altercator » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

I am torn.

I am saving money at this moment, hoping to have enough to continue studying in other countries, possibly USA or Canada. On the other hand, the siren call of the next-gen consoles and their games are beginning to tempt me.

If you were in my place, saving some money, which would you prefer spending on:
l33t gaming or higher learning?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Re: Education vs Playstation? The Piggy Bank war

Postby Xanthir » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

Savings accounts exist so you *don't* spend your money on impulsive crap.

There is this called a library/internet/plenty of other things you can distract yourself with which are much cheaper.

In other words, don't be a fucking moron. Spend money on consoles when you have it to spare, not because Oh me yarm Oh I MUST HAVE PS3.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Exotria

Postby Exotria » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:18 pm UTC

The trick is to be lazy. Going to the store to buy that gaming console takes effort, man. Not to mention taking the money out!

Seriously, consoles are a ridiculous money drain. You have to keep buying new games for it to continue to be useful to you. And they'll be utterly useless to you when the next one comes out, unlike the benefits of a good education, which lasts forever(or at least until you get brain altering diseases/die). The internet and library ARE much better, especially now that you can often get a lot of good dvds at libraries.

If you have a relatively competent PC, just get the Orange Box and be content with that for a long time. Let me tell you, Team Fortress 2 can keep you occupied and satisfied.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
niolosoiale wrote:So which side of the fence would you say I'm on? Why?

The confusing one. I think you should pick a different fence.

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:36 am UTC

Yeah, consoles are a money drain.

I have a trick that works for me when it comes to impulse buying.

If I get the impulse to buy something then I do my very best to hold off on buying it for at least a week, maybe longer. If I really want the thing I'll still be enamoured with it in a week and can think about how to purchase it.

If I'm not that enamoured then by the end of the week I will have calmed down and forgotten about it :-)

And, as others have said: Education trumps Entertainment. This is because with an Education you can fund your Entertainment. The converse is not true.

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:36 am UTC

If money is an issue but you still want to play video games, I recommend looking at indie PC games. Audiosurf, for example, is ten bucks. The Touhou Project series is priced at 1,000 yen (also about $10 USD) per game if you buy directly from the creator (and usually just under 1500 yen from Japanese retailers after markup and tax); add in an import reseller's markup and you can expect to pay maybe 20 bucks. Prefer puzzle games? Heboris is a free open-source Tetris clone, with an unofficial expansion pack which many of the more hardcore Tetris fans consider to be actually superior to most Tetris games released in the past three years.

If you really must have commercial games, consider waiting a short while until you can buy them for much cheaper secondhand. Alternatively, some MMOs have micropayment systems that allow players to trade in-game currency for payment benefits, which may allow you to play for free without crippling unpaid-player limits if you have the patience and/or skill. Believe me, it's actually not that bad on a well-designed game, I've been doing it for years.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:09 pm UTC

If money is an issue but you still want to play games consider piracy and armed robbery. Both work well ;-)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:15 pm UTC

Get HL2. That's like, six good mods right there.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Altercator

Postby Altercator » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

Thanks for your support, guys.

I'm also torn between getting an education and getting a new PC or iMac.

Which do you think is important?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

Altercator wrote:Thanks for your support, guys.

Hi! Welcome to the thread! Usually the way things work around here is that people read and understand the thread they're attempting to comment on. This is especially important for people who started the thread! That way you don't end up asking questions that are already answered earlier. (Protip: the 'understanding' bit means that you can even avoid questions which are answered implicitly!)
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Mach1ne

Postby Mach1ne » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

I'd say education first. Then get the next-gen. It will be a lot of satisfying in the long run.

zerohero

Postby zerohero » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

Here's my 2 pence:
Time is irrelevant in regards to gaming. I frequently play SNES games (on the real thing, in addition to emulators), also PS1, PS2 (the latter is more common). I do own a PS3, along with several games, but I only really play it on weekends (the same goes for the other consoles I have); I too am a student --> monday to friday is spent on studying/working, saturday and sunday spent enjoying myself (not like I don't enjoy my subjects at college anyway, but regardless I am always busy during work days).

You could easily buy a PS3 in a few years time, and by then there will be much more games available; games, and the console itself will be cheaper aswell. Not only for concerns of your own education and future, but also for concerns of value for money, is why you should right now make your education priority.

Education comes first.
As someone here said, you can use an education to fund your entertainment, but you can't use your entertainment to fund your education. Business and pleasure are separate.
.narfNET - http://narf.byethost16.com
This is a personal site of mine catering to console emulators and other things of interest
.narfNET forums - http://narf.byethost16.com/forums
Give us a visit! We're always happy to accept new members

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

Altercator wrote:l33t gaming or higher learning?

Sorry, is there a difference? I learned more playing Civilization then I did in all of high school (a slight exaggeration, but gunpowder + steel = railroads right?).
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

enk

Postby enk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:44 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:
Altercator wrote:Thanks for your support, guys.

Hi! Welcome to the thread! Usually the way things work around here is that people read and understand the thread they're attempting to comment on. This is especially important for people who started the thread! That way you don't end up asking questions that are already answered earlier. (Protip: the 'understanding' bit means that you can even avoid questions which are answered implicitly!)

Win.

It doesn't sound like he's looking for advice, he'd just prefer if someone said "it's okay, get that ps".
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

DeathIsTheEnd

Postby DeathIsTheEnd » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:40 pm UTC

Buy a 360, so you don't waste so much money?

Return to “Religious Wars”