What Media Player (software) Do you use?

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

What music/media player Do you use?

Windows Media Player
14%
Winamp
8%
Itunes
14%
VLC
30%
Windows Media Center
No votes
Other
34%

Total votes: 257

ajbleck

What Media Player (software) Do you use?

Postby ajbleck » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:43 pm UTC

What do you use to play music/videos/ podcasts on your computer. I use a mix of Winamp, VLC and Itunes.
"Android Hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance." GLaDOS
ImageImage

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Re: What Media Player (software) Do you use?

Postby Berengal » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:53 pm UTC

I don't have high requirements: Dragon-player yesterday, totem-player today (I switched from arch+kde to ubuntu+gnome last night, just to see if it would fuck up my home partition).
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

ajbleck

Postby ajbleck » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

I'm slowly trying to get away from itunes. I'm tired of it's shit. I have to somehow convert the music i bought when i had an ipod to something that is usable outside of itunes.
"Android Hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance." GLaDOS
ImageImage

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

You can convert it with ITunes. You have to go to one of the options menus though (their menu system blows smelly chunks).
I used to use a program called Musicmatch, but that got absorbed by Yahoo. Musicmatch had a pretty powerful recording system, an interlocking multiwindow system (think like Steam chat windows), and a visualization editor. It didn't matter how you edited the visualization; it still looked fucking awesome.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

tina-mat

Postby tina-mat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

I use smplayer for video, and recently switched to Songbird for music, when Amarok 2 came out.
Maybe a fool that neglects the lilies of FG.
poxic wrote:Y'know, tina-mat, I hadn't realised until today that your avatar was a stabby little girl. I just thought she was wanking her ponytails.
Box Boy wrote:tina-mat is my lord and master.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:34 am UTC

I use a combination of Windows Media Player & Winamp. Both can play my music and transfer stuff over to my generic mp3 player, it's just purely subjective which I use on discrete days. I like Winamp for its simplicity and base level of memory usage, but I like Media Player too for its complete appearance and display of track details. Winamp is more understanding that I just want to synch a few podcasts, not my entirely personal directory and desktop images.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:45 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:mplayer with some custom scripts to make "shuffled" playlists.

this.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:34 am UTC

Winamp on my work computer. Foobar2k on my home computer.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:20 am UTC

I plan to use Media Player once Windows 7 comes out, because it finally supports h.264 and AAC. I use VLC for anything else that won't play in it. iTunes is used to sync my iPod because I don't trust anyone but Apple with it because I don't trust Apple, if that makes sense.

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:23 am UTC

Wow, what an incredibly limited list of players (In the poll list I mean)

I was using Amarok 1.4 and then Amarok 2 up until recently when a the update to Amarok 2.0.1 caused
Amarok2 to just stop working. Period.

Anyway, I used that as an opportunity to try out other players:

Songbird: Nice, but a memory hog
Quod Libet: Nice idea, but a bit basic for me
Audacious: No library management. Meh
Rythmbox: Yetch
Exaile: Quite a nice player overall BUT no Last.FM plugin :-(

and my current choice:

Banshee: Despite being written in Mono, I still like it :-) Great Library management, useful tag editing, Last.FM plugin,
Album Art Retrieval and a bunch of other decent plugins. Plus, the memory footprint is acceptable :-)

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:47 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:iTunes is used to sync my iPod because I don't trust anyone but Apple with it because I don't trust Apple, if that makes sense.

Yes it makes sense, it's exactly how I feel.

VLC for everything else (which is how I voted)
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

ajbleck

Postby ajbleck » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

OOPMan wrote:Wow, what an incredibly limited list of players (In the poll list I mean)

i only did most of the ones i know, and i though most people would know.
ImageImage

qbg

Postby qbg » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

MPlayer and Winamp.

MPlayer because it has the features I need and it runs from the command line well.

Winamp because the signal processing studio is a killer feature.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

I agree the poll should have way more options.

I use Rhythmbox for music because it integrates nicely with Gnome and has all the features I need. It used to be a bit buggy, but it's mostly fixed now. I mostly use VLC for video, but sometimes when playing directly from a DVD or a USB stick or something it's slow, so then I use Totem or (preferably) mplayer. That's it.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

Currently:
VLC for video (although I use mplayer sometimes and have found it to be all-around better--I think I just use VLC because it works most of the time and I have used it forever).
Amarok for audio. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it gets the job done, and that's more than I can say about most audio players sadly.

Area Man

Postby Area Man » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

Totem and VLC for video, amarok (1) and VLC for audio.
Bisquick boxes are a dead medium.

GourdCaptain

Postby GourdCaptain » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

VLC for individual video and audio files, Banshee for media library and long periods of audio playback.

zerohero

Postby zerohero » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:47 am UTC

I'm a Linux user, so I use either VLC or Mplayer

vlc still crashes sometimes when playing .flac files, otherwise I'd pretty much exclusively use vlc.
.narfNET - http://narf.byethost16.com
This is a personal site of mine catering to console emulators and other things of interest
.narfNET forums - http://narf.byethost16.com/forums
Give us a visit! We're always happy to accept new members

zerohero

Postby zerohero » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:54 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:I plan to use Media Player once Windows 7 comes out, because it finally supports h.264 and AAC. I use VLC for anything else that won't play in it. iTunes is used to sync my iPod because I don't trust anyone but Apple with it because I don't trust Apple, if that makes sense.

If paranoia is your thing, I suppose it makes sense, otherwise it's nonsensical. You're talking about the possibility of Apple detecting you doing something they don't like, and ultimately shutting your ipod out of service or something, right? If I'm correct and this is really along the lines of how you feel, then I question why you chose an ipod over the other portable audio players out there.

"You trust non-apple people with it because they'll give you what you want, but you hesitate because apple doesn't want you communicating with those people, and might do something detrimental to your ipod". If this is how you think, I will go so far as to say that you, sir, are being absolutely ridiculous.
.narfNET - http://narf.byethost16.com
This is a personal site of mine catering to console emulators and other things of interest
.narfNET forums - http://narf.byethost16.com/forums
Give us a visit! We're always happy to accept new members

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:30 pm UTC

There's also the wonderful fact that every other piece of software out there that syncs an iPod is utterly terrible. My problem is at some point I'm sure Apple will maliciously break everything with a software update. Or maybe I don't trust non-Apple software with it either (See: Songbird :P).

And I picked an iPod because when whatever media player I picked inevitably stopped working, there were far, far more sources for me so I can figure out how to fix it myself, for free.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:11 am UTC

I use Amarok for audio, but only because the others don't seem to play nice with my sound card (I know there has got to be a fix for this, but I'm just too fed up to deal with it).

As for video, I was a VLC fanatic through and through until 0.9 when all its features started crawling up their own anuses. It's still the best damned video player out there, but it's annoying that I have to rewind the video two or three times before the image actually displays. And don't get me started on the new GUI.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Lasher

Postby Lasher » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:51 am UTC

Amarok for music, I still haven't found something to complain from it. For videos I just used totem with the xine engine, sometimes I use mplayer if totem doesn't want to play something.

Hyena

Postby Hyena » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:29 am UTC

Amarok 1.4 on my linux partition, foobar2k on my windows partition. vlc on both for video.

Amarok actually has the best ipod sync function i've ever seen, and i've never used itunes because i'ts sucktastic.
Nougatrocity wrote:I refute it with having several female friends that OH MY GOD I WANT TO SEX. But that doesn't get in the way of friendship.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:36 am UTC

foobar2K FTMFW. Some of the skins are really nice too.

That's just for music though. For video I use VLC, except for DVDs which are played with HP QuickPlay (the ONLY halfway decent program to come bundled with my HP laptop, and may as well make use of the remote, right?)

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

In windows, VLC for everything except DVD, those is Windows Media Player.
In linux (sabayon), amarok.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:16 am UTC

For my day-to-day listening, I use Audacious, Amarok to manage my iPod, and I use vlc for videos.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

Symmetrical Feet

Postby Symmetrical Feet » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:49 pm UTC

I use iTunes 'cause I had to choose between it or Windows Media Player. Winamp, when I was looking for a player, didn't have Unicode support, which is a must with my largely-Japanese collection. I preferred iTunes' simple layout (very nice for viewing many, many songs), but now it likes to do weird things and not respond as I'd like it to. Ah, well. I live with it.

I just use manual file management for my generic mp3 player and don't need a fancy sync function :?

VLCPlayer for anything video.
Things go in one ear, and are then promptly annihilated by the resident ninjas.

greysquare

Postby greysquare » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

I usually use Exaile for music, and GtkPod for transferring to my iPod, but over the past few days i've been trying mpd. It runs as a daemon, and you use a client to control it. I've been mostly using mpc, the command line client, just because it's kind of fun to use output redirection just to add stuff to the playlist. It's a really nice system, but i'll probably switch back to a normal media player soon enough.

Jengajam2

Postby Jengajam2 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:47 am UTC

For video I use Totem/VLC and for audio I use Songbird, though I also like Exaile.
Last edited by Jengajam2 on Wed May 13, 2009 9:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

icewind

Postby icewind » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

Amarok 2 and SMplayer.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:40 pm UTC

Used to be an exclusively Windows Media Player guy, using itunes just to sync my ipod. When WMP started getting problems with FLAC playback I switched to Winamp. I now use Winamp for the ipod too. I don't know what I will do about videos, since I haven't really watched any since I made the switch.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

foobar2000 for music, it is unmatched as far as I can see. I would like to try Amarok, but it just doesn't work on windows yet... I used to use iTunes, but it gained a couple of bugs in v7, it was slow and crap, and I don't own an iPod so I looked for something else. I tried aTunes, that's quite nice. If I couldn't use foobar for some reason I'd use that.

For vids I use GOM Player, I think it's great, it's fast, free, has some OK skins, plenty of codecs and what not.... completely empty community though. It's much better than VLC IMO, I don't get why everyone likes that, I don't like the UI, the library is crap, and it doesn't let you do things like skip to a particular point in a video, despite having a progress bar?! Well actually that may have been fixed by now, but I still don't see why everyone likes it...

Amranu

Postby Amranu » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

MPD + Sonata client, there is no simpler and more intuitive music player out there, in my opinion. On my windows machine I use windows media player, simply because it's the closest I could find to sonata in terms of usage, still prefer sonata though.

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:12 am UTC

Since the poll only allows up to 2 choices i had to leave off Windows Media Center, I use it for watching tv.

crzftx

Postby crzftx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:26 am UTC

WMP
K-Lite Codec Pack solves all

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

I really like vlc and songbird. The former plays anything I throw at it, the latter works insanely well with my iPod(Better than iTunes -- it lets me manage the music I've got without forcing me to use a strange playlist paradigm) without taking over my PC.

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:42 am UTC

kmplayer (i had some problems with it to start with on debian, but even without postprocessing its pretty sweet), the fact i can fallback to xine if mplayer isn't behaving is pretty good but, my main reason for using it is that it's UI is lean and simple so i can use the windowed mode and get nearly 100% of it showing the video.

for music i'm currently on amarok 1.x, (it's what came with lenny, but im not a big fan of 2 anyway), I'M not going to pretend its the best media player out there (mainly because they treat me like an idiot and won't let me hide my menubar) but its definatly the best 'big' music player i've found. The playlist takes up most of the screen (when on windows i really like foobar for this) and it also has the ability to manage my music collection, integration with lastfm, a fair few scripts i like (load similar, alarm clock, onstage) and i can find out more using the inbuild context browser. Additionally i love the fact i can control pretty much everything from the playback icon
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Reg Berkeley

Postby Reg Berkeley » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

VLC is my hands-down fave. Plays just about anything.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

I use VLC or dragon player for video.
I don't follow any of these, er... "casts". So I don't worry about them.

And don't get me freaking started on music.
I've used all of the following at one point or another and had to give up on them for the listed reason:

Windows Media Player - Worked great in XP, became crippled in Vista, doesn't run on Linux, so I stopped using it
WinAmp - Kinda ugly-looking, doesn't use my media hotkeys, doesn't run on Linux
Audacious (fork of XMMS or anything) - Ugly like WinAmp, uses a weird GUI setup, doesn't play everything
Amarok 1 - Worked great in KDE 3.5, much like everything else did
Amarok 2 - Crashes every few songs, media hotkeys don't always work
Songbird - Too complicated, doesn't even seem to support hotkeys. I'm honestly not sure, maybe it's buried in the settings somewhere

So I made my own Phonon / Qt4 music player that works decently and uses xlib for hotkeys.
It's pretty simple, but it never crashes and doesn't have a strangely-shaped GUI like the WinAmp clones do.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:48 am UTC

In order of preference: Songbird, Quicktime, CDeX, VLC.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Return to “Religious Wars”