Flight sims only
43%
Never
34%

Total votes: 391

dwarduk2

Re: Gamers: The inverted Y-axis poll

Postby dwarduk2 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:49 pm UTC

With a mouse, I never invert; with a gamepad, I always invert.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:17 am UTC

Mouse should never be inverted.
Gamepads can be inverted in flight sims, the rest of the time it feels really weird.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:41 pm UTC

dwarduk2 wrote:With a mouse, I never invert; with a gamepad, I always invert.

This. it screws me up big time on a gamepad when it's not inverted.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

GenericAnimeBoy

Postby GenericAnimeBoy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:59 pm UTC

+1 For Never invert with mouse, always invert with Gamepad. But it's a bit of a moot point for me since I haven't turned on my 360 in months... :roll:
In light of the impermanence and absurdity of existence, I surmise that nothing is better for us than to rejoice and to do good in our lives, and that everyone should eat and drink and enjoy the good of his/her labor. Such enjoyment is a gift from God.

Velexia

Postby Velexia » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

This is related to move/turn/strafe/look controls. For the longest time, due to playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64, I have had Move/Turn on the left stick, and Look/Strafe on the right stick when playing pretty much any game with an avatar that moves in 3d space or psuedo-3d space. I've recently switched myself over to Move/Strafe, and Look/Turn, because this tends to be default in this day and age, and some games don't even allow you the option of the method I trained myself on.

In regard to inverted y-axis, I always invert it, because I play games like Ace Combat, Wipeout, Dust514, and have played other games which have flying vehicles, and will continue to play such games. Therefore it is easier for my brain to parse that pulling back on the thumbstick is always going to be looking up, and pushing forward will always be looking down. I put myself in the reference frame of what I am doing with my avatar's head, or the vehicle I am piloting, rather than where my cursor will be moving on the screen.

I could train myself out of this, but there is really no good reason to.

In regard to a mouse (I was speaking in regard to controllers, which I use for all PC games that are not FPS games...) I do not use inverse y-axis in FPS games, because it's simply point and click, and there is no reason to make that complicated (until you are in a flying vehicle, at which point most games have an inverted y-axis in flight mode only option, and I use it).
Hail Eris!

eternalfrost

Postby eternalfrost » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:01 am UTC

Never invert, that way your vision moves just like your cursor does.

If you are playing a flight sim, get a joystick, casual.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:14 pm UTC

I invert. Tilt Up is Back, whatever I'm using for input, and whether I'm meant to be piloting a GTF Myrmidon, Supermarine Spitfire, Asp Explorer, airboat, hovercraft, Warthog, stolen car, submarine, giant stompy robot or Mk I meatbag. I get confused if this isn't set, and cross if it's not an option (although these days it seems to be pretty standard).

And yeah, I'm a casual gamer. That's not a bad thing.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:47 am UTC

The only thing that makes sense to me:

1) do not invert with a mouse
2) do invert with a thumb stick or joystick
2a) except when the camera is forward of the pivot point, such as when looking through a scope.

Unfortunately, 99% of games do not do the thing that makes sense for a stick, probably because no one else would think of it. There is no option in the poll to cover my preference, so I can't vote.

Return to “Religious Wars”