Plural of "Octopus"

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

What are the proper plurals of "octopus"?

Octopuses
25%
Octopi
20%
Octopodes
33%
Octopes
1%
Octopoxen
9%
Otters
11%

Total votes: 203

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Re: Plural of "Octopus"

Postby Xanthir » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:18 am UTC

Again, you're not disagreeing with me in any way.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Fieari

Postby Fieari » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:42 am UTC

Words ending in "us" pluralizing to "i" is descriptively productive in English, so I will support and defend it at every opportunity. Because "~uses" feels awkward and stuttery on my tongue, similar to the a/an rules. Repeating syllable sounds is not pleasant.

I don't have a problem with "octopodes" simply because it's fun to say and has a reason behind it, but I make no pretensions that it's better ENGLISH than Octopi. I lump "octopodes" in with pluralizing "box" as "boxen". But "octopi" feels like good English to me.
Surely it is as ridiculous to consider sqrt(-1) "imaginary" because you can't use it to count pieces of chalk as to consider the number 200 imaginary because by itself it cannot express the location of one point with reference to another. -Isaac Asimov

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:04 am UTC

Fieari wrote:Words ending in "us" pluralizing to "i" is descriptively productive in English, so I will support and defend it at every opportunity.

That reasoning – taken alone, at least – seems a little unfounded. Do you support and defend "circi", "feti", "sini", "genii" and "doofi"?
Exit the vampires' castle.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:52 am UTC

Lazar wrote:
Fieari wrote:Words ending in "us" pluralizing to "i" is descriptively productive in English, so I will support and defend it at every opportunity.

That reasoning – taken alone, at least – seems a little unfounded. Do you support and defend "circi", "feti", "sini", "genii" and "doofi"?
I don't know that that necessarily follows; -s and -ed are very productive English suffixes, but "gooses" and "goed" are still wrong. Like "goose", "circus" etc. already have established plurals, which could be preventing the formation of other plurals.

In any case, I'm not sure about the productivity of -i, but it is definitely an English plural suffix, despite being derived from Latin (it's used in English and English speakers who don't speak Latin recognize it as a plural suffix), and words don't necessarily have to pluralize like in their source languages (though they can).
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:48 pm UTC

Late to the conversation on this (these) point(s), but for me:

Agenda: plurality of items (for which I use 'item' over any other term), making up a list. Multiple such lists are of course 'agendas'. c.f. 'person -> people -> peoples'.

Criteria: strictly plural; may use 'criterium' at a push, 'criterias' would be a push, but useful for similar circumstances as above, e.g. comparisons between multiple different specifications.

Data: use as singular more than I should, try to consciously say 'datum (point, etc)'. Would not throw 'datas' out of bed if it was appropriate for a group-of-groups, but only then.

Media: as a group, mostly, but complexly. For storage, "Install it from the media" does rather hark back with me to multi-floppy distributions, now used without prejudice for "whatever and however many storage media there are", but not "...there is". And 'an <item> of media (pl.)' is like 'a grain of sand' or 'a piece of lego'1, in their mass-noun pluralisations. - For news organisations, "the media are...", as a group, but perhaps more in the sense of "the government are..." or "the football team are...", which I know gives a trans-Atlantic split of opinion. Saying "the newspapers support option A, the television stations support option B, but perhaps the medias may come to an agreement" is as per discussing the group-of-groups (many football teams, several governments), but needs setting up for context.

'Octopodes' if I'm thinking enough to avoid 'Octopuses'. 'Octopedes' if I'm thinking far too much. 'Octopuxen' if I'm feeling mischievous and contrary.

1 Or "Lego" or "LEGO", but never /legos/i. (Sand grains, lego bricks. Pile of sand, sack of lego.)

HES

Postby HES » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:26 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:1 Or "Lego" or "LEGO", but never /legos/i. (Sand grains, lego bricks. Pile of sand, sack of lego.)

:shock: Careful now. I've been down this road before... It's only the Brits that have this one right.
He/Him/His Image

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:34 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:1 Or "Lego" or "LEGO", but never /legos/i. (Sand grains, lego bricks. Pile of sand, sack of lego.)

:shock: Careful now. I've been down this road before... It's only the Brits that have this one right.

Darned rootin' tootin' we do!

(And I have a lot of Lego.)

ETA: footnote of http://www.adrants.com/2005/09/lego-get ... d-name.php is fun, especially considering Math vs. Maths...

Nyktos

Postby Nyktos » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:43 pm UTC

HES wrote:

I'm Canadian and was weirded out when I started encountering the assertion that "everyone" says it that way. I was real into Lego as a kid, and my friends and I definitely did not say "Legos". We usually talked about "Lego pieces", or simply "Lego".

(Though I don't think this is the universal Canadian usage, since I recall reading a novel by a Canadian author in which the characters talked about "Legos".)

Fieari

Postby Fieari » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:40 pm UTC

You better believe I say "legos", have always said "legos", and feel absolutely no desire to protect the Lego Company's trademark rights by changing the way I refer to their product, which is to make legos.
Surely it is as ridiculous to consider sqrt(-1) "imaginary" because you can't use it to count pieces of chalk as to consider the number 200 imaginary because by itself it cannot express the location of one point with reference to another. -Isaac Asimov

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:06 am UTC

I've never known anyone to say "octopodes" unironically unless they want to sound like a dork.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
rath358 wrote:manually adding a long list of swear words to my dictionary worked.

Return to “Religious Wars”