Low carb, high fat

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

You, sir, name?

Low carb, high fat

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

Anyone else doing this diet?

I've lost 30 kg / 65 lbs so far, with no more exercise than the occasional stroll.

Have another 20 kg to go, but I'll hopefully be there this summer.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Re: Low carb, high fat

Postby philsov » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

Keto?

Nah. I love my carbs too much, and from what I've read the difference between standard caloric restriction versus keto + standard caloric restriction is pretty small with regards to weight/fat loss.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

philsov wrote:Keto?

Nah. I love my carbs too much, and from what I've read the difference between standard caloric restriction versus keto + standard caloric restriction is pretty small with regards to weight/fat loss.

Basically the same thing.

The results with calorie restriction are the same, the difference is that ketogenic diets do satiety-hormone voodoo where you can pull massive calorie deficits without feeling any hunger or lethargy. This makes it very easy to maintain in the long run, as you never have to fight yourself. When you're hungry, you eat. When you're full, you stop eating. If you eat the right things, you get a calorie deficit of about 1000-1500 kcal/day.

Also, bacon.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

philsov

Postby philsov » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Mmm... somewhat. Keto by definition is very low carb (<20g/day), while low carb is typically 20-60g/day-ish and treats the metabolic pathways a little different. I get my sufficient satiety via protein intake; after about two weeks the stomach resizes itself so the "lack of volume" aspect is only an issue at startup.

But, hey, if it's working for you -- keep it up! I'm losing 1 lb/week atm, and eat both girl scout cookies and bacon daily. Meh.

And you're probably aware of it but I think it bears repeating -- be mindful of when you get off of the diet. Don't go back to your old lifestyle, else you'll just go back to being fat. Total caloric intake trumps other aspects, so it's good to have that concreted. Unless you plan on doing this forever, "eat until you're full" is a very bad habit to pick up.

you get a calorie deficit of about 1000-1500 kcal/day.

Is something I don't approve of on the fundamental level, at least pending the initial weight of the individual. I can appreciate finally being eager to get thinner, but at deficits that large the likelihood of LBM loss (metabolism loss) and loose skin is higher. I'd rather pull a tortoise via methodical approach while maintaining my metabolism. Fun side note -- two years ago I needed 1800 cals/day to lose weight. I bulked up a little last year, and with identical activity levels I'm seeing the same results at 2000 cals/day. More LBM is awesome.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

philsov wrote:

Mmm... somewhat. Keto by definition is very low carb (<20g/day), while low carb is typically 20-60g/day-ish and treats the metabolic pathways a little different. I get my sufficient satiety via protein intake; after about two weeks the stomach resizes itself so the "lack of volume" aspect is only an issue at startup.

It's keto, but with added constraints in fat/protein intake (with an emphasis on fat), unlike say Atkins which emphasizes protein.

philsov wrote:

And you're probably aware of it but I think it bears repeating -- be mindful of when you get off of the diet. Don't go back to your old lifestyle, else you'll just go back to being fat. Total caloric intake trumps other aspects, so it's good to have that concreted. Unless you plan on doing this forever, "eat until you're full" is a very bad habit to pick up.

I've gone off it a couple of times. Gained a bit of water weight, but remained otherwise the same weight. And you don't eat until you're absolutely stuffed, you eat until you're no longer hungry.

philsov wrote:
you get a calorie deficit of about 1000-1500 kcal/day.

Is something I don't approve of on the fundamental level, at least pending the initial weight of the individual. I can appreciate finally being eager to get thinner, but at deficits that large the likelihood of LBM loss (metabolism loss) and loose skin is higher. I'd rather pull a tortoise via methodical approach while maintaining my metabolism. Fun side note -- two years ago I needed 1800 cals/day to lose weight. I bulked up a little last year, and with identical activity levels I'm seeing the same results at 2000 cals/day. More LBM is awesome.

I don't see why I should eat when my body is telling me I'm full. And I haven't really noticed any significant LBM loss. I'm getting pretty ripped as my fat goes away. Which is funny, as I haven't really worked out for a couple of years. Maybe the effect isn't as prominent in ketosis, where your body is constantly adapted to fat-burning, rather than having to switch between glycogen-burning and fat-burning?

I found an article tangentially related to the subject of ketosis and body composition changes that suggests that LBM is preserved on low-carb diets. --> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129159/

philsov

Postby philsov » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

I don't see why I should eat when my body is telling me I'm full.

Because your body can tell you its full if you ate nothing but bowls and bowls of celery. There's a difference between what your body craves versus what it needs. In the celery example, you clearly need more calories. Admittedly, when you're 50kg overweight you can easily have a deficit larger than 500 cals and still be fine, keto or not. Skin'd be a concern personally.

I didn't know about the anti-catabolic effects of keto; that's pretty cool.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

philsov wrote:
I don't see why I should eat when my body is telling me I'm full.

Because your body can tell you its full if you ate nothing but bowls and bowls of celery. There's a difference between what your body craves versus what it needs. In the celery example, you clearly need more calories. Admittedly, when you're 50kg overweight you can easily have a deficit larger than 500 cals and still be fine, keto or not. Skin'd be a concern personally.

There's a difference.

If you eat a ton of celery, you'll feel full for a few hours because your stomach is physically full, but then you'll feel hungry again because you body can't get the energy it wants.

If you eat a ton of bacon, you'll feel full for about a day, not because your stomach is physically full, but because the slow process of fat and protein metabolism is suppressing your hunger hormones.

philsov wrote:Skin'd be a concern personally.

Loose skin is going to be pretty unavoidable when you have to lose as much as I do. I don't really mind. I'm young enough for it to recover.

Return to “Fit Club”